6238743 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#6066245 - 12/04/15 08:51 AM My take on Long Range Hunting
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
"Long range hunting" and good sportsmanship have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

To be a hunter, you have to understand that there is going to be a chance of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - and to be a Sportsman, you must be determined to reduce the chance of that happening to as low a likelihood as is humanly possible.

The long range hunter is the direct opposite of a Sportsman, here is a person who deliberately, methodically sets out to hunt under conditions that they know will multiply the chances of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - by several orders of magnitude. They are ready and willing to take this gamble - as long as it is only a fine game animal who will suffer when they lose the bet.

The folks who are duped into this are only guilty of being fooled - but the ones who promote or tolerate it despite the fact that they know better trail slime behind them, wherever they may go.

Since this misbehavior is on the rise, it is the duty of Sportsmen everywhere to strongly, actively discourage it. We should spread the word about good sportsmanship, and what it means.

When good men understand Sportsmanship, they will eschew the entire idea of "long range hunting" as something that one might deliberately pursue.

#6066258 - 12/04/15 08:55 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Preciate the judgement.

How about killing praire dogs, coyotes, and hogs at long range? That's all I've kiiled at long range, is that Ok?

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6066264 - 12/04/15 08:59 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
What is long range? 300, 600, 800+ yards? Each shooter/hunter has different definitions on this. What is the skill level of the shooter/hunter? I have had multiple customers this season already take game animals from 520, 660, 780, and a whooping 1030 yards! All were great shots with high end equipment and the shooter/hunter had practiced enough with their gear and had the ability to make that first round hit. Is this unsportman like? I don't think so. Each hunter/shooter can apply their skill level to their ability.

Now if a novice takes a pop shot at a big buck at 500 yards with an open sight 30-30, that's crossing the line into unsportsman like behavior. But a skilled shooter/hunter applying his ability to make those longer range shots is a pure "sport" and applying their ability to have a successful hunt.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6066273 - 12/04/15 09:02 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: ChadTRG42]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
What is long range? 300, 600, 800+ yards? Each shooter/hunter has different definitions on this. What is the skill level of the shooter/hunter?

popcorn

#6066274 - 12/04/15 09:02 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
T Bone Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Up in the cheap seats..
Thanks, dad..

#6066275 - 12/04/15 09:03 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: FiremanJG]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Preciate the judgement.

How about killing praire dogs, coyotes, and hogs at long range? That's all I've kiiled at long range, is that Ok?

I guess that depends upon whether you see those as fine game animals or not. - I tend to think of them as being varmints, but that's just me.

In Europe, the pigs are seen as game animals... Here in Texas - not so much.

A good yardstick might be whether the rancher is glad to see you eliminate one - or if they want to charge you out the wazoo for the privilege. This puts the pigs into sort of a gray area, here in the state of Texas.

Edited by charlesb (12/04/15 09:09 AM)

#6066282 - 12/04/15 09:06 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
dee Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Red River way
Originally Posted By: charlesb
"Long range hunting" and good sportsmanship have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

To be a hunter, you have to understand that there is going to be a chance of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - and to be a Sportsman, you must be determined to reduce the chance of that happening to as low a likelihood as is humanly possible.

The long range hunter is the direct opposite of a Sportsman, here is a person who deliberately, methodically sets out to hunt under conditions that they know will multiply the chances of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - by several orders of magnitude. They are ready and willing to take this gamble - as long as it is only a fine game animal who will suffer when they lose the bet.

The folks who are duped into this are only guilty of being fooled - but the ones who promote or tolerate it despite the fact that they know better trail slime behind them, wherever they may go.

Since this misbehavior is on the rise, it is the duty of Sportsmen everywhere to strongly, actively discourage it. We should spread the word about good sportsmanship, and what it means.

When good men understand Sportsmanship, they will eschew the entire idea of "long range hunting" as something that one might deliberately pursue.

Sounds like a archery hunter has a lot in common to a long range hunter to me.

#6066294 - 12/04/15 09:08 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: dee]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: dee

I always heard that they only shoot from very short distances.

I'm not an archery hunter though, I just have to go by what they say.

#6066295 - 12/04/15 09:09 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

So if a guy has the skill to hit a prairie dog at 500 yards he should not shoot a mule deer at 500 yards across a canyon because it is "unsportsman like"?

Maybe we shouldn't use rifles at all, maybe bows only, or maybe that is unsportsman like. Ok a spear, no that's still using our superior brain to make and use a tool. A rock? Nope that is also a tool, bare hands that is the only thing that is sportsmanlike.

Nothing new under the sun on this topic, it's been debated on this forum many times over the years.

#6066297 - 12/04/15 09:09 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: T Bone]
ETexas Hunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: T Bone
Thanks, dad..

#6066298 - 12/04/15 09:10 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: dee

I always heard that they only shoot from very short distances.

I'm not an archery hunter though, I just have to go by what they say.

60 yards is a long range shot for many archery hunters. Deer can "jump the string" and be missed or gut hit. Some guys know how to aim low to shoot where the deer will be when he collects himself.

#6066299 - 12/04/15 09:11 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Hey, I'm just putting my take on it out there. - I wouldn't want the "long range hunters" to get the idea that I think of them as Sportsmen, or anything like that.

If there's any confusion on what that means, I can only recommend a re-reading of the original post. The information is all right there.

It's always amazing to me, how often I get burning questions that have already been clearly answered - in the original post.

Edited by charlesb (12/04/15 09:18 AM)

#6066302 - 12/04/15 09:12 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: FiremanJG]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So if a guy has the skill to hit a prairie dog at 500 yards he should not shoot a mule deer at 500 yards across a canyon because it is "unsportsman like"?

Precisely. - You hit the nail on the head.

Edited by charlesb (12/04/15 09:13 AM)

#6066309 - 12/04/15 09:15 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Maybe they don't care if you think of them as sportsmen.

What got me into shooting far was coyote hunting. I can give a rat's a$$ if someone approves or not that the farthest I've hit a coyote is 540 yards. I'm proud I am able to, and that is one less coyote harrassing the whitetail and cattle in my area.

#6066311 - 12/04/15 09:15 AM Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I think hunters should know there limitations and keep long range, short range, bow, gun, etc out of the discussion.

Several shooters are students of their passion and know a great deal about it and have the experience required to do it. The problem I see is the cool factor that goes along with it and it urges people who don't have the same qualifications to attempt it with the if its a hit its dead if I don't find it, it was a clean miss mentality.

That is not a range problem its a hunters ethics problem.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide