Forums46
Topics538,022
Posts9,731,932
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6067881 12/05/15 02:12 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Where does it say he quit because he got cold and decided to quit? And where does it say he had "other pressing things to do"? How do you pull that from what was stated? Someone's hitting the sauce roflmao

Not that it needs justifying, but half a night and a day and a half of searching is more time than most would have giving. "Bragging about a ten" was actually a call for help during the time he was looking. There were 6 people out there at the time, including the local that found it later. Finding a deer in a 70 yard diameter search area in certain environments is similar to finding a needle in a hay stack. You would pretty much have to kick him. Some people just like to judge others despite knowing nothing about the situation or what actually happened. Says all I need to know about them cheers

I can see that having the horns would be bittersweet. The "what ifs" would eat you up.

And there is that thing called "work, family and life" that sometimes gets in the way of doing things,

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6067937 12/05/15 02:55 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Where does it say he quit because he got cold and decided to quit? And where does it say he had "other pressing things to do"? How do you pull that from what was stated? Someone's hitting the sauce roflmao

You know what they say about assumptions buck...and it is a typical post from certain individuals, particularly that one.

Not that it needs justifying, but half a night and a day and a half of searching is more time than most would have giving. "Bragging about a ten" was actually a call for help during the time he was looking. There were 6 people out there at the time, including the local that found it later. Finding a deer in a 70 yard diameter search area in certain environments is similar to finding a needle in a hay stack. You would pretty much have to kick him. Some people just like to judge others despite knowing nothing about the situation or what actually happened. Says all I need to know about them cheers

I can see that having the horns would be bittersweet. The "what ifs" would eat you up.

So the fellow who eventually found this skull and horns (see bold above) was part of the original group looking for the deer. I think this adds another twist to the story. He offered to help the guy find the deer...the search is terminated for what I suspect were reasonable reason....and then this guys goes back...finds the animal and claims it to be his. That's just plain wrong.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: TonyinVA] #6067944 12/05/15 03:00 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Did the shed hunter tag it? At what point can you pick up a deer and not tag it?

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: ChrisB] #6067949 12/05/15 03:04 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Did the shed hunter tag it? At what point can you pick up a deer and not tag it?

I believe it depends on the state. In Iowa if you find a skull with antlers attached you need to contact the game warden and get a salvage tag (may not be what it's actually called) to have the skull and horns legally. I think Ohio and some other states in the Midwest are the same. Not sure what Texas does.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: TonyinVA] #6067957 12/05/15 03:11 PM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

I believe it depends on the state. In Iowa if you find a skull with antlers attached you need to contact the game warden and get a salvage tag (may not be what it's actually called) to have the skull and horns legally. I think Ohio and some other states in the Midwest are the same. Not sure what Texas does.

Not sure about the laws concerning this in Kansas...or Texas scratch

And to answer your question above, yes, he was part of the original search party. His response was similar to BC's on here. "Well, he had given up"

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6067975 12/05/15 03:22 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
The way it reads the local was asked to help find the deer because of his experience hunting sheds and his knowledge of the lay of the land. To me this would be similar to calling a tracker with dogs to help. The latter even if a price was not set for the service, etiquete would call for a monetary reward or tip to be offered to the handler with the amount based on distance traveled, time of day or night, if found, time spent, and on the value of the animal to the hunter. If the local was asked to find the deer and took the time to go back for a second search, then texted pictures of the find to the hunter, it may have been first to determine if it is the same deer. And second expected a thank you how much I owe you or statement like I'll for sure be sending you a nice reward for the help. I know a reward would have been offered at the exchange but as a non hunter he may not have understood this. So if the shed hunter who was asked to help spent some time looking and there was no followup communication or no reward for his service was offered initially or after the find, this would be the time to start doing so asap. I bet this would get your friend his deer and the guy might even turn the reward down. Remember again he is not a hunter and may be seeing the hunter as the out of state rich guy who can afford to travel and take the deer while expecting the poor local to be at his service for free. IMHO it is likely miscommunication and two sides seeing each other out of context causing the head to be held out of principle.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6067986 12/05/15 03:30 PM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
Very well put sir and very well could be the truth. Very well could be a misunderstanding from the beginning on both sides. Most of us would help without thought of monetary gains and would help a stranger as well as a friend, so that perspective very well could have been missed by my buddy.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6068004 12/05/15 03:52 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
How much time passed between the shot and the date it was found?

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: Sniper John] #6068005 12/05/15 03:54 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
The way it reads the local was asked to help find the deer because of his experience hunting sheds and his knowledge of the lay of the land. To me this would be similar to calling a tracker with dogs to help. The latter even if a price was not set for the service, etiquete would call for a monetary reward or tip to be offered to the handler with the amount based on distance traveled, time of day or night, if found, time spent, and on the value of the animal to the hunter. If the local was asked to find the deer and took the time to go back for a second search, then texted pictures of the find to the hunter, it may have been first to determine if it is the same deer. And second expected a thank you how much I owe you or statement like I'll for sure be sending you a nice reward for the help. I know a reward would have been offered at the exchange but as a non hunter he may not have understood this. So if the shed hunter who was asked to help spent some time looking and there was no followup communication or no reward for his service was offered initially or after the find, this would be the time to start doing so asap. I bet this would get your friend his deer and the guy might even turn the reward down. Remember again he is not a hunter and may be seeing the hunter as the out of state rich guy who can afford to travel and take the deer while expecting the poor local to be at his service for free. IMHO it is likely miscommunication and two sides seeing each other out of context causing the head to be held out of principle.

John, There are a lot of "ifs" in your post. So here are my "ifs"

IF the fellow originally agreed to help find the deer, and

IF there was some arrangement for compensation or

IF he was helping to search out of the goodness of his heart, and

IF he then finds the deer, then

IF he has any integrity he should return the deer's skull and antlers to the hunter based on the original understanding/agreement, and

IF compensation/a reward was part of the deal the hunter should honor that and pay the man.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: Hogman4127] #6068019 12/05/15 04:04 PM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
There wasn't any agreement on compensation. Hunter wanted to find the deer and called in all the help he could. Doesn't mean the other guy didn't think there might be compensation for finding the deer though.

Originally Posted By: Hogman4127

About a month.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6068047 12/05/15 04:35 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
A common situation. Like inviting a new friend for a day fishing on the lake. He shows up eating breakfast, but did not bring you any. You buy a tank of gas for your truck and boat. You provide the tackle, buy ice, bring drinks, and lunch. Even though you would not have accepted it if offered, you would expect the new friend at some point to offer to pitch in and maybe even argue about it a little when you turn it down. If that never happens, I could see the host keeping the days catch and not offering it to the new friend, now ex fishing partner when he was dropped off at the end of the day.

The key with the deer is the guy sending a text with pictures and stating he is keeping it and getting it mounted. This could be an eqivalent of the fishing host texting the ex fishing partner with how these fish he caught will go great for my fish fry with all my friends this weekend, but have no invite. The clueless friend who just forgot to pitch in and the host who never asked him to help pay for gas will both think each other are jerks.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6068381 12/05/15 10:06 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Kansas requires a salvage tag from the GW as well. One of my pheasant hunting buddies found one and called the GW.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: poisonivie] #6068636 12/06/15 01:28 AM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Kansas requires a salvage tag from the GW as well. One of my pheasant hunting buddies found one and called the GW.

Thanks, good info to know up

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6068859 12/06/15 03:31 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Only a DB would not let him claim it. Wow.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6069694 12/06/15 10:34 PM
D
dredd Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

About a month. [/quote]

What if he found it six months or a year later, would that matter?

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6069848 12/07/15 12:25 AM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
just tells you what kind of person he is , said he was a non hunter and that says it all for me . what comes around goes around .

Last edited by breadman; 12/07/15 12:25 AM.
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6070201 12/07/15 03:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Did your buddy kill another deer? Did he quit hunting after he hit and lost the 10?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: dredd] #6070290 12/07/15 05:00 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: dredd

About a month.

What if he found it six months or a year later, would that matter?[/quote] No black and white answer. The hunter has been chasing Kansas bucks for up to 6 years if I Am not mistaken. The time energy and effort chasing his passion. So for him he would want it no matter the timeline. The shed guy has a complete differnt perspective that does not take into account the aforementioned. For those that are makingassumptions. This hunter is an outstanding tracker and dedicated hunter.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6070293 12/07/15 05:01 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
TREX tell him to make the guy an offer.$$$

Big Beckett!!
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6070304 12/07/15 05:16 AM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Did your buddy kill another deer? Did he quit hunting after he hit and lost the 10?

No and No.

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: Ramsey] #6070305 12/07/15 05:17 AM
txshntr Offline OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Offline
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Ramsey

Sounds like he is going to be getting it back...he hopes

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6070479 12/07/15 01:23 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Ramsey

Sounds like he is going to be getting it back...he hopes

Lets hope.

[Linked Image]
Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6071822 12/08/15 12:41 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If someone shoots a deer and I am asked or I offer to help.... and after we look and do not find it....and sometime afterwards (a month or 6 months..no difference) I stumble on it (remember I was part of the original tracking party)...I WOULD GIVE THE SKULL AND RACK BACK TO THE HUNTER.

If you do not give it back it speaks volumes for the type of person you are (or "are not" depending upon how you want to frame the question).

Re: Found...Lost...Found again...and Lost again? [Re: txshntr] #6072260 12/08/15 04:35 AM
M
mcclelland Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Hard enough for the guy not being able to find it...just give it up, but not everyone thinks alike.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide