Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waterfowl pup #6061518 12/02/15 01:37 AM
B
Blue drake Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Ok guys I am looking to get a lab hopefully this summer. I need some good advice on selecting a lab. This includes where to get one. This will be my first pup and I will train it on my own. Hopefully!

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061534 12/02/15 01:43 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
How far are you willing to travel?

Price range?

Are you wanting a pup with Hunt test or field trial pedigree?

What is your expectation of the dog?

Make sure parents have health clearances.

I just went through this process and learned a lot!

I put a deposit down on a pup from Washita Retrievers.

Kanati Kennels in Brownwoid has a nice litter on the way and is expecting another in the spring.

Check them out.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061544 12/02/15 01:48 AM
D
Duke4456 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Me and buddy trained his black lab ourselves he read several books and we probably put 200 plus hours in on working with the dog and I can say that he is no field trial dog but gets the job done every time we take him out and my buddy only paid $450 for him. It's not how much you spend on a pup but how much time you put in to training it.

Your worst day of hunting is always better than your best day at work
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061581 12/02/15 01:58 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
As long as the pup is healthy the rest doesn't matter as much, especially if you're training him on your own. I got our pup off cl and "trained" him myself. Sometimes I feel sorry for him for having an ignorant teacher, but he fetches birds, doesn't break, and stays calm while birds are working so overall I'm really happy with him.

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061614 12/02/15 02:13 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
popcorn popcorn

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061697 12/02/15 02:47 AM
T
Texas Bowhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Hunters Creek Retrievers in Houston produces excellent family/gun dogs. I purchased one of his dogs as my first hunting dog and trained him myself. On Saturday my 2 year old black lab ran a 150 yard open water blind on a crippled goose and brought back that 15 pound live bird into the wind, and is currently asleep in my lap. These dogs truly have on and off switches. John Tate, the owner of the operation, truly knows his dogs.

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061789 12/02/15 03:31 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Doesnt really matter the background or bloodline of the dog, the owner makes the dog, of any breed for that matter. You have to be stern and loving as well, but you can't let em get away with anything whatsoever when they're in that soak up knowledge stage of their life. The first 6 months is absolutely crucial, no bad habits learned and you won't have to work to fix anything. I worked with my lab 3-4 times a day from when she was about 8 weeks until she was a year old. Can't overdue a session, always end on a good note. You can get a dog off the street and work it enough an you'll see what their capable of. I've seen $3000 dogs that I wouldn't want to be in the blind with if you paid me to. Buddy of mine was given a lab at about 2 years old and she was a fat couch dog, and within 6 month she was an absolute machine, if you have the time and patience it doesn't matter where you get the dog from. Just train em right, if your gonna leave the dog locked up for 8 hrs at a time then don't expect much out of it. Just depends on what you want, if you want a kennel dog that gets fired up like a rocket when it's time to go then you have to find a way to harness that and control it or get more of a submissive relaxed home dog that your baby's can crawl all over and get the job done when it's time to hunt. Just train em right and it doesn't matter much where you get em from

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061814 12/02/15 03:49 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
To say that genetics don't matter is simply foolish. Your best bet is picking a dog who has parents that are good hunters with the characteristics that you want. Then make a plan and stick to it as far as how you will train the dog but be flexible as to when the dog will be proficient. Also, if your getting a puppy in the summer it would most likely be the following season that you would have a hunting dog. It's a big commitment but well worth it.

Still can't get over, an owner makes a dog and genetics don't matter.......

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: TrackQuack] #6061835 12/02/15 03:58 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
To say that genetics don't matter is simply foolish. Your best bet is picking a dog who has parents that are good hunters with the characteristics that you want. Then make a plan and stick to it as far as how you will train the dog but be flexible as to when the dog will be proficient. Also, if your getting a puppy in the summer it would most likely be the following season that you would have a hunting dog. It's a big commitment but well worth it.

X2

You stack your odds of getting a great pup by getting one that has great parents.

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6061958 12/02/15 05:35 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Lol I didn't mean that genetics didn't matter, I should have stated that better, of course it helps but it's honestly about 20% of what that dogs potential will be, the other 80 is what the owner does. I'm just saying I've seen dogs that have come off the street that will out perform field trial champs, I've trained plenty of dogs and used to work field trials outside of rockport. I've seen amazing dogs work, you know why those dogs are awesome, because they are trained and worked every day all day long, not because what his dam or sire did 5 years ago, you can buy the most expensive dog with the best paperwork out there but if you don't put the time in then it doesn't matter, that's all I was saying.

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: TrackQuack] #6061982 12/02/15 06:19 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

As far as hunting the first season, Just depends how much you work with em like I said, you get that dog living for retrieving they'll be ready to go 6 months.

That's my dog at like 10-12 weeks, sitting on hand signals next to me and staying until I sent her and putting the bird in hand. She hunted 3-4 times a week at 6 months old with 20 plus retrieves a hunt. You want a machine you gotta build it

Last edited by Txcatman1; 12/02/15 06:29 AM.

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6063069 12/02/15 09:20 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
^^^^what he said...

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6064204 12/03/15 02:03 PM
C
cactusflyr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Iron Spike Kennels.....hands down. Lots of guys on forum have her dogs. Best dog I have owned. NE of Houston. http://www.ironspikekennels.com/

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6064301 12/03/15 02:53 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
WOW at some of the responses. scared

I've been down both roads. I bought my first lab from a back yard breeder. Dog was great and a life long friend. Still miss him to this day, but I'd say I got very lucky with that purchase. His hips went out, and I had to have him put to sleep. Not something I ever want to go thru again!

Buying a puppy from a proven line with certain traits isn't 100% a sure thing, but it greatly reduces the variables of just picking one off craig's list with the #1 thing being the health of the dog. There's nothing worse in this world short of losing a family member than loosing a retriever. It's a bond most people who don't hunt will never understand and a commitment. I'd hate to know I shortened that experience of ownership with hip and eye issues in my dog that could have been avoided with buying a quality puppy. That's first and foremost in my mind. You also can't teach drive in a dog. They either have it or they don't. Sure labs are smart enough that you can get them to retrieve if they don't have it, but again you greatly reduce this chance if you pick from a quality litter. Puppies are like children. They are going to have qualities their parents have. So here's a question:

If you were the GM of an NFL team and had to burn a draft pick on a 6 month child, would you:
A) pick the child from a proven Hall of Fame NFL player who's wife was an Olympic champion or
B) from two little people you meet on the street with zero knowledge of their background?

I know. Extreme example, but I think we both agree the odds of having an NFL player from one of the examples far exceeds the other although neither is 100%.

If you are wanting a pure meat/hunting dog, I'd find at the very least an HRCH sire and dam that have both hip and eye guarantees. Just my .02!

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: BarneyWho] #6064336 12/03/15 03:11 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

I've been down both roads. I bought my first lab from a back yard breeder. Dog was great and a life long friend. Still miss him to this day, but I'd say I got very lucky with that purchase. His hips went out, and I had to have him put to sleep. Not something I ever want to go thru again!

Buying a puppy from a proven line with certain traits isn't 100% a sure thing, but it greatly reduces the variables of just picking one off craig's list with the #1 thing being the health of the dog. There's nothing worse in this world short of losing a family member than loosing a retriever. It's a bond most people who don't hunt will never understand and a commitment. I'd hate to know I shortened that experience of ownership with hip and eye issues in my dog that could have been avoided with buying a quality puppy. That's first and foremost in my mind. You also can't teach drive in a dog. They either have it or they don't. Sure labs are smart enough that you can get them to retrieve if they don't have it, but again you greatly reduce this chance if you pick from a quality litter. Puppies are like children. They are going to have qualities their parents have. So here's a question:

If you were the GM of an NFL team and had to burn a draft pick on a 6 month child, would you:
A) pick the child from a proven Hall of Fame NFL player who's wife was an Olympic champion or
B) from two little people you meet on the street with zero knowledge of their background?

I know. Extreme example, but I think we both agree the odds of having an NFL player from one of the examples far exceeds the other although neither is 100%.

If you are wanting a pure meat/hunting dog, I'd find at the very least an HRCH sire and dam that have both hip and eye guarantees. Just my .02!

up

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Txcatman1] #6064342 12/03/15 03:18 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

As far as hunting the first season, Just depends how much you work with em like I said, you get that dog living for retrieving they'll be ready to go 6 months.

That's my dog at like 10-12 weeks, sitting on hand signals next to me and staying until I sent her and putting the bird in hand. She hunted 3-4 times a week at 6 months old with 20 plus retrieves a hunt. You want a machine you gotta build it [/quote]

Hunting a pup at 6 moths is the best way to develop bad habits and start the process for health issues to develop later in life. The dogs brain and body is not fully developed at that time. I see it with guys who bring their dogs hunting and I really see it in horses that are pushed. I never hunt a dog until he is solid 1 year old and never break a colt until it's solid two, although on ranch horses we wait until three

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6064355 12/03/15 03:28 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Agree w/Cactusflyr. This is my IronSpike pup Jack in his 3rd season and he is an animal w/retrieves. Also has an excellent off switch in the house!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6065013 12/03/15 09:46 PM
C
cactusflyr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Here is Scout on her first hunt during teal season, note the restraint for her first hunt. Hasn't broken once in three years. The link is to an incredible 100-120 yard mark of a pintail shot on a passing shot. 10 mos old at the time, and yes, she can walk on water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0JCCQR3BHI

Last edited by cactusflyr; 12/03/15 09:57 PM.
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6065064 12/03/15 10:18 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Damn dat goose has some big [censored] feet

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Jeff Elder] #6065091 12/03/15 10:34 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

up

up x2

Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6065297 12/04/15 12:54 AM
C
cactusflyr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
x3...and don't get tied up in the whole field trial champion thing. Often counter productive. FT dogs are bred to run straight lines and follow commands. This often equates to breeding the nose out of the dog so they do not smell something and deviate. You want a hunting dog with a nose.

Hunted over two field trial champion Brittanys two years ago. My two GSP's outperformed them hands down....like 8 coveys to one, and singles, not a one by the Brits. Never hunted over a field trial retriever, but the concept is the same

Last edited by cactusflyr; 12/04/15 02:22 AM.
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Blue drake] #6065323 12/04/15 01:04 AM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
flag

Last edited by Hogman4127; 12/04/15 01:05 AM.
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: Jeff Elder] #6065550 12/04/15 02:27 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

That's my dog at like 10-12 weeks, sitting on hand signals next to me and staying until I sent her and putting the bird in hand. She hunted 3-4 times a week at 6 months old with 20 plus retrieves a hunt. You want a machine you gotta build it

Hunting a pup at 6 moths is the best way to develop bad habits and start the process for health issues to develop later in life. The dogs brain and body is not fully developed at that time. I see it with guys who bring their dogs hunting and I really see it in horses that are pushed. I never hunt a dog until he is solid 1 year old and never break a colt until it's solid two, although on ranch horses we wait until three [/quote]

Well I hunt about 4-5 times a week with customers with my dog and I can honestly say that there hasn't been a hunt where customers either asked if the dog was for sale or if she was fixed so I guess I did something right I dunno, she could pass a master hunter trial if my 3 year old was leading her. Just make em live to fetch ducks and it's easy

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: BradyBuck] #6065580 12/04/15 02:34 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

X2

You stack your odds of getting a great pup by getting one that has great parents.

X3

I would also add Labs are one of the most popular breeds out there- lots of BAD breeding taking place. I would especially get a lab from a very reputable breeder

Last edited by Greekangler; 12/04/15 02:38 AM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Waterfowl pup [Re: cactusflyr] #6065591 12/04/15 02:38 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: cactusflyr
x3...and don't get tied up in the whole field trial champion thing. Often counter productive. FT dogs are bred to run straight lines and follow commands. This often equates to breeding the nose out of the dog so they do not smell something and deviate. You want a hunting dog with a nose.

Hunted over two field trial champion Brittanys two years ago. My two GSP's outperformed them hands down....like 8 coveys to one, and singles, not a one by the Brits. Never hunted over a field trial retriever, but the concept is the same

You are correct in that FT retrievers are trained to run in straight lines and mark by sight at extremely long distances but they still must use their noses. If a FC or AFC can mark 100+ yard triples and finish them off then you can bet they are probably one heck of a dog in the duck blind as well.

One example of how a FT retriever must have an excellent nose would be the fact that in a field trial situation the dog must differentiate where countless other birds have fallen in the same area vs the new bird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide