Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,731,981
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank #6060849 12/01/15 08:44 PM
H
HaysCo Riverrat Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I have a 20 acre piece of land in Coleman County I bought about three years back. There's lots of wildlife that pass through the property, but I think the place would do much better with a constant source of water on it. Is anyone aware of or have info on fed/state/county programs that provide grants, assistance, subsides, loans, etc... to help with digging a tank? And if so, what are y'alls experiences with these programs?

Thanks

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6060891 12/01/15 09:03 PM
B
Bmnloader Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I don't think anybody will anymore but look at the TP&W website under land or maybe private water. They may still have a program. If you do dig one, be sure the guy has done it before. Even go look at some he's done if possible.A lot of guys that claim to be pond builders ain't!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance.
Ronald Reagan
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6061112 12/01/15 10:44 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Try contacting your country extension agent, he/she is probably your best bet.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6061183 12/01/15 11:24 PM
B
blindcowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I would like to hear what you learn. I have 100 acres in Val Verde and I would like to dig a well and a tank. I don't know if I would use a government program I am skeptical of them but knowing what's out there wouldn't hurt.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6061294 12/02/15 12:13 AM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Find out who your local TCEQ Office of Water contact is.. They should be able to help or point you in the right direction..

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6061395 12/02/15 12:45 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Try contacting your country extension agent, he/she is probably your best bet.

This^^ or the USDA, but your county agent will give you the "skinny" on it. It used to be a great program, we did one in the 90's, they matched half. BUT, I have been told they hardly, if at all, do it anymore because of funding.

Last edited by Western; 12/02/15 12:45 AM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6061524 12/02/15 01:39 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've got a friend with a lease in Coleman and it fluctuates real bad. Goes from 11 acres to a puddle several times a year.

Not sure if there is anyway to combat that where you by tying into some other water source, but you might be considerate of the streaky rainfall out there.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6062851 12/02/15 07:23 PM
H
HaysCo Riverrat Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I got in touch with the county agent and there is currently not a program out there to help. He is also concerned that the soil I have would not hold water well. However, he did mention making or buying a guzzler to catch and dispense water to the wildlife. Looked at a few blueprints online and they seem fairly simple to build. Think I'll give that a shot.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6063834 12/03/15 03:33 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Must be a county thing. My neighbor has talked to someone (I don't have a clue who but it is a govt agency) and he said they came out, looked at the property, took GPS coords, then did a study on how much watershed his property received. I believe he said the next step was to dig down to see if what below was good for water retention.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: grout-scout] #6064055 12/03/15 11:32 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Must be a county thing. My neighbor has talked to someone (I don't have a clue who but it is a govt agency) and he said they came out, looked at the property, took GPS coords, then did a study on how much watershed his property received. I believe he said the next step was to dig down to see if what below was good for water retention.

I think they will still help with the "engineering and planning", but wont do the cost share anymore. When ours was done, they did the same thing, then all we had to do was hire a competent pond builder/ dozer operator, that could build to their specs. When it was done, they came out and made sure it was built to the plan before the state issued a check for half.

Dennis

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6064056 12/03/15 11:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Me too Western, but mine was quite a while back. Programs come and go.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6064268 12/03/15 02:38 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Contact the guys at Pond Boss http://www.pondboss.com/ If there is a program or agency they will know. They can also recommend people to build it.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6064272 12/03/15 02:40 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
When I dug mine, I talked to several people who had received assistance from their different government agencies. These where all over the country, so it might be different where you are located. They received grants if they did certain things with their projects. In every case, it cost them more to do what was required then what they received in funding. Some of them mentioned having to maintain the land, or keep it in a certain condition or have to repay the funding.

I quickly realized that the thing I like about having my land the best, is not having to do what somebody else tells me to do with it. I just took my time, took out all the trees and kept digging until it was done. Took me two years to get it dug, another year to fill and another year after that until it started to look nice.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6064536 12/03/15 05:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
We looked into it briefly when we had our tank dung. We wanted a pond, they wanted us to dig a LAKE, we passed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: EddieWalker] #6065178 12/03/15 11:26 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
When I dug mine, I talked to several people who had received assistance from their different government agencies. These where all over the country, so it might be different where you are located. They received grants if they did certain things with their projects. In every case, it cost them more to do what was required then what they received in funding. Some of them mentioned having to maintain the land, or keep it in a certain condition or have to repay the funding.

I quickly realized that the thing I like about having my land the best, is not having to do what somebody else tells me to do with it. I just took my time, took out all the trees and kept digging until it was done. Took me two years to get it dug, another year to fill and another year after that until it started to look nice.

To me this seems like the most sensible way to go!

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: SouthWestIron] #6065285 12/04/15 12:49 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: blazin

Sure is, if you already have a dozer as Eddie does.

Dennis

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6065881 12/04/15 05:24 AM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
NRCS

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: Western] #6066185 12/04/15 02:32 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: blazin

Sure is, if you already have a dozer as Eddie does.

I had to buy the dozer before digging the pond. I still have it, but rarely use it. Hope to sell it one day soon, but there are still things to do with it that I never seem to get around to doing. My plan was to buy the dozer, use it, then sell it when I was done with it for a little less then what I paid for it, and not have to hire somebody else to do it. Just pay the cost of fuel, oil and repairs.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6066354 12/04/15 03:37 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
There was a program if you would allow a pipe for fire dept to drain it if needed. That was three years ago, and usually had to be close to a road. It was thru the Forestry Service.

Re: State/County programs for assistance with digging a tank [Re: HaysCo Riverrat] #6066464 12/04/15 04:20 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Technically, you need permission from TCEQ to capture rain water from natural drainage. Very few go to the trouble but the rule is there.

Pee on Photobucket
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide