Forum Stats
60442 Members
45 Forums
475817 Topics
6242025 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6062741 - 12/02/15 12:29 PM Processor error/dishonesty?
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hutto, TX (Williamson Co)
I would like to get estimates of weight for east Texas deer when quartered. I recently took three deer, two does (not fawns, probably 2.5 years) and a mature buck (11-point, 4-5 years, heavy bodied) to a local processor in central Texas. The production log from the processor is meaningless, with lots of scratch outs, incomplete sections, and numbers that show the trim weight is the same as the quartered weight. The weight they now "say" that they had in quarters was 93 pounds total. Originally, they said there was 112 pounds in quarters, which is what I paid for being processed. When I put it into the freezer at home I found that I only received 73 pounds of meat back.

When I contacted to ask them to check the freezer for the missing meat, they eventually replied that the quartered weight they had originally was wrong. They now say that the 93 pounds is all they had in quarters and are offering to refund the extra that I paid in processing for the missing 19 pounds. Foolishly, I dropped the quarters off in ice chests without getting a weight. The shop was busy and couldn't weigh immediately.

The information I have is that they say the three sets of deer quarters (remember, one was a buck twice the size of the does) weighed 37, 27, and 29 pounds. I kept the back straps at home, packaging them myself. I had just over 25 pounds of backstrap for the three deer.

How much should I have received back in boneless meat trim from the does? From the big buck? At this point I don't know if the processor is sloppy and lost my meat, if they are dishonest, or if the deer were smaller than they seemed when I was putting them into and out of the ice chests. I'd appreciate some perspective on the deer meat weights. It sure seems like I have some deer meat missing.

Here is a photo of the buck. The inside spread is almost 19 inches. For scale, I'm 6'7", 265 pounds. Unfortunately, that's the only photo. Someone stole my game camera a few weeks before the season.

#6062744 - 12/02/15 12:30 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hutto, TX (Williamson Co)
Okay, so here is the photo...

#6062754 - 12/02/15 12:36 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I would say nobody can give you a weight from that pic.

One reason I don't use processors. Another is that there is a large chance the meat you have didn't come off of your deer. Ive been processing deer since I was 7. At one point I calculated what a good percentage was from dressed carcass weight to de-boned/trimmed meat going into the freezer was, but I have forgotten.

Lessons learned for next time.

#6062774 - 12/02/15 12:50 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity

73lbs for 3 deer?

#6062775 - 12/02/15 12:50 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Austin, Tx
Just like a lot of others, I process my own. Spend the money on a quality vacuum sealer and grinder/sausage stuffer and never look back. Plus you'll never have to wonder about shortages and whether or not it's "your" meat you got back. I don't have a smoker but I still manage to make some kick-azz jerky and sausage.

#6062786 - 12/02/15 12:56 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
if memory serves me, as a general rule of thumb, we always used the 50-55% packaged meat weight based on field dressed weight. Example, 100 lb field dressed deer would yield about 50-55 lbs into the freezer, trimmings were ground into hamburger, depending on shot placement based on potential ruined meat from bullet. Taking in quarters only, even less yield percentage of dressed weight (back-straps, tenderloins, neck, rib/flanks removed).

~PMK~

#6062792 - 12/02/15 12:58 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
This is why so many decide to process their own, an it is very rewarding.
It would be interesting to see some numbers from those that have weighed deer at live weight, dressed, quartered, de-boned and packaged. I bet the loss in processing is more than you want.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6062799 - 12/02/15 01:02 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
SapperTitan Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I will say most people think they get a lot more meat from a deer than what they actually do.

#6062842 - 12/02/15 01:18 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
simple searcher, my numbers were from processing our own and my dad did not waste any usable meat (hocks to ears). We never had live weight as we always field dressed before loading. We weighed most of our bucks hanging weight field dressed before skinning/quartering within a few hours of shooting. For the meat hunting only years of my life, does would yield 30-40 lbs and bucks 40-60 lbs to the freezer.

~PMK~

#6062918 - 12/02/15 02:02 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
blazin Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
Quote:
The information I have is that they say the three sets of deer quarters (remember, one was a buck twice the size of the does) weighed 37, 27, and 29 pounds. I kept the back straps at home, packaging them myself.

You receiving 73 lbs of meat seems about right for those weights. I think people tend to way overestimate meat quantities and especially so when it comes to Texas whitetails.

#6062946 - 12/02/15 02:18 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: blazin]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
If the processor was doing this, he would probably be doing to it a lot of customers and would soon be out of business. Like Blazin posted, sounds about right.

Originally Posted By: blazin
Quote:
The information I have is that they say the three sets of deer quarters (remember, one was a buck twice the size of the does) weighed 37, 27, and 29 pounds. I kept the back straps at home, packaging them myself.

You receiving 73 lbs of meat seems about right for those weights. I think people tend to way overestimate meat quantities and especially so when it comes to Texas whitetails.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#6062961 - 12/02/15 02:25 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
98 pounds (their 73, your 25) from the three deer seems a touch light, but not out of the realm. I don't know what deer are like in your area but we get ~30 lbs off a standard Mills County doe. We weighed a couple 2-3 years ago that we thought we were getting light returns from the processor, and those two returned 26 and 29 pounds of boneless round steak, straps, and chili grind.

We now have a vacuum packer, a #12 grinder, a smoker, and a tenderizer and I hope to do more of our own going forward as I still think they might be shorting us. In the very least they don't cut the hams the way I'd like and as a result we get less round steak.

#6062965 - 12/02/15 02:26 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: SapperTitan]
kdkane1971 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I will say most people think they get a lot more meat from a deer than what they actually do.

^ This

#6062985 - 12/02/15 02:37 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: StretchR]
Flags Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Athens, TX
Simple solution: Cut your own meat. I have never paid to have an animal processed. With a little practice you can cur, wrap and grind a deer in less than 2 hrs and you know exactly how your meat is handled.

#6063036 - 12/02/15 03:03 PM Re: Processor error/dishonesty? [Re: PMK]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Originally Posted By: PMK
simple searcher, my numbers were from processing our own and my dad did not waste any usable meat (hocks to ears). We never had live weight as we always field dressed before loading. We weighed most of our bucks hanging weight field dressed before skinning/quartering within a few hours of shooting. For the meat hunting only years of my life, does would yield 30-40 lbs and bucks 40-60 lbs to the freezer.

I saw your post after after I put up mine. Your post beat mine by a few minutes. Good information.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide