Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tip Question [Re: Cinch] #6056477 11/29/15 09:30 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
BTW with all the stupid questions and provocative statements EddieWalker gets it and so do I.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Tip Question [Re: Cinch] #6056615 11/29/15 10:44 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I've never been on a guided hunt because I don't think I'd enjoy it. I have taken a lot of guided fishing trips with my customers and tip what the guide deserves depending on the service. I've tipped 30% at Fork for a guide that had a rough time teaching a guy to fish. I stiffed a guide on a trip on the Louisiana coast. He was unpleasant and rude. I was really hoping he'd try whipping my [censored] after he got no tip.

I do think almost everyone prefers cash instead of gifts.

Re: Tip Question [Re: EddieWalker] #6058392 11/30/15 08:02 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I believe in tipping my guide and try to give as much as I can afford, or feel comfortable with. I've had hunts where I did not give a tip, and others where I gave $800. It really depends on how much effort he puts into your making your hunt successful. Some will go to extremes to do everything possible to get you on an animal. Others just do what is expected and treat you like just another number on a list.

The camp staff, I usually give them a lump sum and have either the guide or outfitter divide it up between them. That might be a hundred bucks for 2 or three people, or it might be quite a bit more. For the guide, I always make it a point when I expect to last see him, to shake his hand, tell him how much I appreciated everything he did, and hand him the cash. I've never seen a guide count it, or ever heard back one way or another if it wasn't enough. In my experience, they appreciate whatever you feel they deserve.

What are you hunting? Where are you going and what will the guide be doing for you, or your group? A fair amount depends on a lot of things. If it's a weekend hunt and all the guide is doing is putting you in a blind, then a hundred bucks is plenty. If it's a week long pack in trip to the mountains and he is getting up an hour before you to get the fire going, serve you coffee and then spend all day out in the snow or rain finding you game, then gutting it and carrying it back to camp, then making you comfortable every night, a much bigger tip would be appropriate.

One thing that I've also found on guided hunts is that the more I help out around camp, the better my hunts seem to turn out. I've been in camp with others that I didn't know who just sat there while the guides carried wood, fixed meals and cleaned up. I always try to keep active, and will bring wood to the fire, help skin animals and carry water to the horses. On those hunts, I somehow seem to end up with better animals then the guy who is always complaining or sitting on his butt, doing nothing. I can't say for sure that they treated me better, or if it's just that they hunt like they act in camp. At the end of the trip, I can say that I had a great time, while the lazy guy in camp might have a different view of the trip.

Well Said up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide