Print Thread
Guadalupe river state park #6054408 11/28/15 04:49 PM
L
lms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
Needing any information I can get on the Guadalupe river state park hunting, my son-in-law and I were drawn for the Dec 9-11 hunt. Where are the best stands at on the park?

Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: lms] #6054518 11/28/15 06:02 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We used to go down a day early and hike the trails to get a feel for the park layout...and see if we could spot the blinds or trails to them ...served us well.

You will be assigned your blinds, but you can request both of the blinds be close together. Be VERY careful about trimming any tree branches but I opened a tiny see thru spot in a cedar and scored where the critters would hang up behind a row of trees in my area on a rocky road bed that was the border on one side of my area...and knew there was no one hunting beyond that point.

Been a looong time since I hunted there...Back then I liked the area on the far northeast side and as far north as I could get...that may not be open any more last I heard. Lots of guys hunted in the closed tent camping areas and did well all 3 times we were there on the northwest corner of the park close to the river. We also did well around the water treatment plant just southwest of the house, east of the road about 5-600 yards and southeast of the RV Area...really close shots though except for back up the entry "lane" just south & west of the water treatment area.

STAY IN YOUR BLIND and wear your orange IN THE BLIND...and knock down ALL the non native critters possible regardless of age or sex.

GRSP is a great easy place to hunt & visit...Have Fun...and OBTW if Byron whats his name is still the SP Mgr...ask him if his georgous black & white tomcat is running around....Long Story LOLOL
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: WileyCoyote] #6059357 12/01/15 02:45 AM
L
lms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
Thanks for the info.

Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: lms] #6059520 12/01/15 03:40 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
One other blind I hunted was close to the concrete picnic table trail - east of the center road, mid park and then north into the brush. Tough location to hunt from a ground blind and got busted couple times with critters scenting me from downwind at under 50 yards. Would of been a great spot for a tripod using an open sighted 30-30 or shotgun & slugs...and a lot of critter traffic in the deep heavy brush.

Worst blind I ever had was a tripod, couple hunnert yards due east of the check in station on the far south east corner of the park, watched the park fence lines down there. Back then the Park Mgr lived in the nearby house next to the front gate, and I could hear his kids playing in the yard...and the B&W cat kept me company chasing bugs & mice at the foot of my blind. Freaked the guy later when I told him about thinking about taking the shot since I dinnit have a B&W cat skin on the wall that purty. Shoulda taken the cat home with me the way he was chasin mice. What a Great Cat... up
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: lms] #6079323 12/12/15 02:51 AM
L
lms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
post hunt: Son-in-law killed a young sika doe on the first day and a spike and yearly buck on the last morning. I killed a 4 point and big axis doe on the second day. Was hot the first two days and very cool the last morning. Great place to hunt if you get good blinds. grin

Last edited by lms; 12/12/15 02:51 AM.
Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: lms] #6079360 12/12/15 03:12 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Sounds like ya'll had a great hunt. You'll LUV how the sika and axis taste on the dinner table. Surprised you dinnit see any hogs...musta been the heat you mentioned.

Where were your blinds located? A little too far from where I live now, but I'd really like to get drawn again at GRSP or Honey Creek.
Ron

Re: Guadalupe river state park [Re: WileyCoyote] #6081910 12/13/15 11:50 PM
L
lms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
aimwe hunted blinds 5 and 6, I think nobody saw any hogs. The hunter in blind 7 just 200 yards from me never saw anything.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide