stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Deer did not move this morning. I saw 2 does about 3/4 mile apart and one buck. All moved late around 8 and just after. One doe was heading to water. The other doe was moving west. Buck ate a little corn and left. TC are dead on the corn/protein feeders. The two feeders this buck was at had one pic in the daylight each of the same little buck I saw this morning and no does. One feeder had one pic and the other one had 3 pics. Other feeder had some does last night and only one pic yesterday afternoon and nothing this morning. All the corn is still on the ground under the feeders. The area I am hunting they ate 90% of the corn last night that was left over from yesterday afternoons hunt.

Sounds like one of those times you would tell someone else to turn down the feeders so it didn't leave as much corn on the ground over night peep

It does seem like I've heard that before. popcorn

Would be nice if you two kept up also. Notice I said already that no pics at that feeder overnight or in the daylight. dunce

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: therancher] #6050230 11/26/15 12:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: therancher

Do I plow the oats up also? How about the winter weeds on my place and the neighbors, do I spray to kill them also? They are hitting the winter weeds and are only hitting the corn on the roads right now. Do I ask the neighbors to turn their feeders off? This buck is making a random trek every few days. I am hunting him at the location I stand the best chance of seeing him at or in the distance.

Yes.

Geezus do you need me to come down there and manage that place for you?? It's gonna be expensive.

I can tell you have not read the whole thread.

I see. So you already solicited my help earlier in the thread I guess.

Since I can't make it down there right now (thanksgiving and all), I'll help you on line.

Hunt like it's the full on rut. I know you probably haven't noticed yet, but the ruts in Texas are running about 3 weeks ahead this year.

I won't even charge you for that. wink

I see you still are grasping at straws. The rut here is earlier every year. You payment will be what the info was worth 2cents If you had read the thread you would know how I am hunting.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050235 11/26/15 01:01 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Had to run some errands and check on family midday but made it back to get in stand about 4:30 or so. Every swingin' richard buck that I have seen in that area must have showed up, but 2. Wanna guess what 2? Only saw one doe and one coyote I really wanted to let the air out of but held back. Had two bucks get in a fight and had some bucks come in to check that out. The last two mornings nothing responded to horns at all.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050289 11/26/15 01:26 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
The other two where at the other 2 stands grin We could try a drive for ya, all us fella could run them up against that HF peep

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050292 11/26/15 01:28 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Deer did not move this morning. I saw 2 does about 3/4 mile apart and one buck. All moved late around 8 and just after. One doe was heading to water. The other doe was moving west. Buck ate a little corn and left. TC are dead on the corn/protein feeders. The two feeders this buck was at had one pic in the daylight each of the same little buck I saw this morning and no does. One feeder had one pic and the other one had 3 pics. Other feeder had some does last night and only one pic yesterday afternoon and nothing this morning. All the corn is still on the ground under the feeders. The area I am hunting they ate 90% of the corn last night that was left over from yesterday afternoons hunt.

Sounds like one of those times you would tell someone else to turn down the feeders so it didn't leave as much corn on the ground over night peep

Would be nice if you two kept up also. Notice I said already that no pics at that feeder overnight or in the daylight. dunce

I have kept up and have inside information grin

So, I think I remember someone, sometime, somewhere posting that trail cameras aren't full proof and don't catch everything.

Also, if nothing showed up in daylight or overnight...wouldn't hurt to turn them off trout

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050296 11/26/15 01:29 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Had to run some errands and check on family midday but made it back to get in stand about 4:30 or so. Every swingin' richard buck that I have seen in that area must have showed up, but 2. Wanna guess what 2? Only saw one doe and one coyote I really wanted to let the air out of but held back. Had two bucks get in a fight and had some bucks come in to check that out. The last two mornings nothing responded to horns at all.

Sounds like a good hunt anyway, should have some good pictures. How did the bucks act around each other? Back at the power line stand? Pull the cards at the other stands?

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050298 11/26/15 01:29 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
STX, I haven't read but maybe half the thread, but have you narrowed down at least to places they frequent? Maybe you can find a travel core and hunt off the ground, or in a tree, ledge , whatever?

Dennis

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050513 11/26/15 03:29 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

But how much of the corn got picked up out of the pen?

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: txshntr] #6050559 11/26/15 04:04 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

So, I think I remember someone, sometime, somewhere posting that trail cameras aren't full proof and don't catch everything.

Also, if nothing showed up in daylight or overnight...wouldn't hurt to turn them off trout

I think you need to reread this thread and my posts to you also. I will help you. TC do not catch everything. But (if you remember) I said I have hunted every hunt since opening day except one afternoon. I have at each blind since opening morning with over 3/4 of the hunts at the blind with the most activity. None of the bucks in those pics have been at that blind while I was hunting nor in the feed pens on TC. Turning those feeders off? Reread my posts again, there is a protein feeder, corn feeder and oats/winter peas plot at each stand. Should I plow the oats up that just came up about 4 weeks ago now that I am leaving to hunt West Texas? Should I ask my neighbors to turn their feeders off since all the deer around those feeders I turn off will certainly go back to where they are coming in from? When you have day with nothing to do, come on down and I will drive you around so you can see it first hand.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: Western] #6050566 11/26/15 04:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western
STX, I haven't read but maybe half the thread, but have you narrowed down at least to places they frequent? Maybe you can find a travel core and hunt off the ground, or in a tree, ledge , whatever?

The blind I have been hunting, he has been at twice now. The first time he was here in mid afternoon and then the last time right after dark. If I knew which direction he was coming in from it would be very easy to set up on him. Where I am sitting he has to cross 3/4 mile of pipeline to travel between the two feeders I have TC pics of him. If I can see him moving in the distance from that blind then I can move in a tripod or build brush blind and corn that area which I have done many times in the past on deer. Very simple if I could see him.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: rifleman] #6050578 11/26/15 04:16 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

But how much of the corn got picked up out of the pen?

That depends on the location. The stand I am hunting him at and where he was eating corn at the feeder twice now, he is about the only deer in that pen eating corn. I have gotten one other buck in the past 4 days in that pen. Doves, quail and rabbits are eating most of it there when the deer aren't hitting it. As much corn as I am putting on the roads in the morning and evenings they should have their fill on corn off the roads. The other pen he was on this past Saturday morning had only had one other deer in the pen since he was there on Sat. He has not been back to it. Same thing with dove, quail and rabbits eating most of the corn when the deer aren't in the pens. All three blinds have a protein feeder, corn feeder and oats. Since the weekend they have started to hit the oats a bit more, but with all the winter weeds they are not needing to hit any feed or oats. Until I get him on a TC consistently at one feeder, I am not turning off any feeders. I need to keep the bucks spread out to keep them from pushing some of the bucks off the place. To many good young bucks that will get shot if I do that right now.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050597 11/26/15 04:28 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

I think you need to reread this thread and my posts to you also. I will help you. TC do not catch everything. But (if you remember) I said I have hunted every hunt since opening day except one afternoon. I have at each blind since opening morning with over 3/4 of the hunts at the blind with the most activity. None of the bucks in those pics have been at that blind while I was hunting nor in the feed pens on TC. Turning those feeders off? Reread my posts again, there is a protein feeder, corn feeder and oats/winter peas plot at each stand. Should I plow the oats up that just came up about 4 weeks ago now that I am leaving to hunt West Texas? Should I ask my neighbors to turn their feeders off since all the deer around those feeders I turn off will certainly go back to where they are coming in from? When you have day with nothing to do, come on down and I will drive you around so you can see it first hand.

Simple answer is yes..practical answer is no.

I would be more than happy to take you up on the invite. I can show up Thursday afternoon and will help pattern him while you are gone. Just leave the key under the door mat cheers

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: txshntr] #6050603 11/26/15 04:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Simple answer is yes..practical answer is no.

I would be more than happy to take you up on the invite. I can show up Thursday afternoon and will help pattern him while you are gone. Just leave the key under the door mat cheers

That is why I have all the feeders running with TC's on them. If the bucks make it thru the Holidays I will find them when I get back. If not then there will be a new ones later this year or next season. My feeders(corn and protein) will always run 24/7/365 and I will have food plots to hold as many deer as I can. I am in my 4th season of running feeders year round. The amount of young bucks is very pleasing so far. It will be interesting to see how they look and if they make it for 2-3 more years.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050648 11/26/15 04:57 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
No doubt. Seems there is improvement each year and I have never doubted your management methods (except when I want to argue). You have some great bucks

Now, don't forget to leave that key under the mat cheers

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: txshntr] #6050674 11/26/15 05:19 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
No doubt. Seems there is improvement each year and I have never doubted your management methods (except when I want to argue). You have some great bucks

Send me his address and we'll do some remodeling at his place after we shoot his buck for him. up STX, thanks in advance for the grub we're going to eat from your fridge.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050754 11/26/15 10:20 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

The blind I have been hunting, he has been at twice now. The first time he was here in mid afternoon and then the last time right after dark. If I knew which direction he was coming in from it would be very easy to set up on him. Where I am sitting he has to cross 3/4 mile of pipeline to travel between the two feeders I have TC pics of him. If I can see him moving in the distance from that blind then I can move in a tripod or build brush blind and corn that area which I have done many times in the past on deer. Very simple if I could see him.

Got ya. So few sightings, man he could be coming from some distance to meet your lady deer. One thing predictable about a rutting buck is, they aren't very predictable. I suppose a home core buck would be much easier to pattern though. These bucks could be coming from 5+ miles away!

Dennis

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: txshntr] #6050765 11/26/15 11:20 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I leave key hidden up high...so short people can't get to it grin Good luck at PR cheers

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: grout-scout] #6050766 11/26/15 11:23 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Send me his address and we'll do some remodeling at his place after we shoot his buck for him. up STX, thanks in advance for the grub we're going to eat from your fridge.

Man will you be in for a shock...literally flame

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: Western] #6050769 11/26/15 11:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Got ya. So few sightings, man he could be coming from some distance to meet your lady deer. One thing predictable about a rutting buck is, they aren't very predictable. I suppose a home core buck would be much easier to pattern though. These bucks could be coming from 5+ miles away!

Wherever he is coming from he has made it two years a row on about the same day each year. He has a travel route that gets him to my place down pretty good since he has not been shot. He could live 1/2 mile from me or who knows how far. If he does live 5 miles it won't be west or north of me though. I think he lives within a mile to mile and half of me. I keep my traffic pattern on my place light and run the same routine all the time. I never to try to walk my place to hunt since it is too small, unless it is to walk in and rattle a spot or two. It is to tall with weeds & grass and thick enough that deer have the advantage. I do not want to push any deer off of me that have moved in for the rut. So I hunt edges of bedding cover and travel the routes that take me around it. The bigger 8 point last year I think was here for two days before he finally messed up and came back to the spot I first saw him get in a fight that evening. By his actions I think that was his first trip in last year. I also had him at one other feeder two different times in pictures. But he was killed where I had seen him during a hunt.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050772 11/26/15 11:38 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Been fun, but I am hitting the road in a few minutes to head to West Texas. Gonna chase Mule Deer in the rain as it is raining out the right now with high % of a chance of rain till Sat night. But, I can't hunt Mule Deer from home. Going to be a fun season out west this year. Looking forward to getting started. Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. up

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050773 11/26/15 11:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I can't wait for the day when I can hunt every hunt from opening until Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050814 11/26/15 12:22 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Have you tried a Spot Light roflmao

I'm in shorts this Mng bang

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6050981 11/26/15 02:55 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
cheers Been fun, but I am hitting the road in a few minutes to head to West Texas. Gonna chase Mule Deer in the rain as it is raining out the right now with high % of a chance of rain till Sat night. But, I can't hunt Mule Deer from home. Going to be a fun season out west this year. Looking forward to getting started. Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. up

Be safe and good luck!! Should be a great year out West up

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: SniperRAB] #6051072 11/26/15 04:01 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Have you tried a Spot Light roflmao

I'm in shorts this Mng bang

No joke, 69* here when I walked out at 5:30am, wearing a "T" shirt bang

Dennis

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6051140 11/26/15 04:41 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No lie man, it's warm and muggy here in Rhome. I put my jeans on this morning after hearing the wind howling and now considering changing to shorts. Just gonna get warmer and wetter this afternoon.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide