Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476317 Topics
6248246 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6050400 - 11/25/15 08:26 PM What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe?
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North East Tx
Forgive me if this has been covered. If so, please direct me to thread.

I would like to hear your favorite quail recipes, cooking methods, tips, advice, secrets etc. thanks!!!!

Edited by pharmvet (11/25/15 08:26 PM)

#6050482 - 11/25/15 09:16 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
kindall Offline

Loc: Spring, Tx

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

#6050793 - 11/26/15 06:04 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
quote=bill oxner]I tried to pan fry quail for several years. The breast never came out right because they have three sices, and the bones prohibited the flour from properly coating. A friend and I had an 840 quail year, so I had more than I knew what to do with them. I taught myself to butterfly the quail. I've show this to lots of people since, and it's the only way they cook their quail anymore.

The first and most important step is to cut off the ball and socket joints like this;

Next you run your sissors under the rib cage on each side.

Then you clip off the sternum.

Pull the bones over the front of the quail breast, and it's a done deal.

You have a butterflied quail breast which will pan fry in less than 3 minutes on each side. Use your pan drippings for cream gravy. You don't have to use an egg wash if you bread them 30 minutes or so before you fry them. The breading will get gummy, and they'll come out crisp.

I've deep fried them for a field trial crowd, but I serve those with french fries and store bought breaded okra.

#6050837 - 11/26/15 06:39 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: bill oxner]
Colinus virginianus Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Magnolia, TX
If I was lined up in front of a firing squad and offered a last meal, it would be bacon wrapped quail grilled over mesquite coals. I remove the backbone when I clean my birds. Get pickled jalapenos - the crunchy kind that come in a jar (Marzetti's - sp?) and drain them. Put some in the cavity and put one on each side of the breast - pull the leg up against the jalapeno's next to the breast and wrap with bacon. I use thick cut peppered bacon split down the middle lengthwise - you will have a long piece but only half as wide as it was. Wrap around the bird and secure with toothpicks. Marinate in Yoshida gourmet sauce - if you don't do this step you are missing out on one of the good things life has to offer. Marinate for about two hours and put on the grill - when you go to turn the birds over on the grill dip them back into the marinade and put them back onto the grill. I recommend only using this recipe in a secure area because when the neighbors catch a whiff of what you are cooking they will show up at the door...

#6052403 - 11/27/15 04:53 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
dipped in beer batter, deep fried

#6052419 - 11/27/15 06:02 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: colt45]
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: colt45
dipped in beer batter, deep fried

^^^this^^^

And when they float, they're done!

#6052579 - 11/27/15 09:02 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker

Here's a use for leftover dressing! Make patty, put it on waffle iron. Quail & gravy. Leftover cranberry sauce. Butter syrup, fried eggs. What ever fires yer rocket. Savory waffle is pretty tasty change. food

#6052693 - 11/27/15 10:07 AM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: Colinus virginianus]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Originally Posted By: Colinus virginianus
If I was lined up in front of a firing squad and offered a last meal, it would be bacon wrapped quail grilled over mesquite coals. I remove the backbone when I clean my birds. Get pickled jalapenos - the crunchy kind that come in a jar (Marzetti's - sp?) and drain them. Put some in the cavity and put one on each side of the breast - pull the leg up against the jalapeno's next to the breast and wrap with bacon. I use thick cut peppered bacon split down the middle lengthwise - you will have a long piece but only half as wide as it was. Wrap around the bird and secure with toothpicks. Marinate in Yoshida gourmet sauce - if you don't do this step you are missing out on one of the good things life has to offer. Marinate for about two hours and put on the grill - when you go to turn the birds over on the grill dip them back into the marinade and put them back onto the grill. I recommend only using this recipe in a secure area because when the neighbors catch a whiff of what you are cooking they will show up at the door...

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only difference I use is that I season with kosher salt and poultry season and then when the quail is about 75% cooked on the mesquite-fired grill, I baste them with a rasberry chipotle sauce. OMG! They are unbelievable! Yes, this can be my last dying meal.

#6053003 - 11/27/15 02:09 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
iliketohunt Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Weatherford, TX
If I freeze a whole bird, feathers on, will it be good to clean and eat in a few days?

#6053010 - 11/27/15 02:13 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

I fry the runners first and eat on them while I'm frying the breasts. Make gravy and pour it over white bread.

#6053012 - 11/27/15 02:15 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: iliketohunt]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
If I freeze a whole bird, feathers on, will it be good to clean and eat in a few days?

Why would you want to do that?

#6053020 - 11/27/15 02:20 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: scalebuster]
iliketohunt Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Weatherford, TX
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

Why would you want to do that?

Because I'm at a hotel without a freezer, and it's 10 degrees outside. Figured I'd rather have whole birds outside freezing than just the meat. If it's safe.

#6053038 - 11/27/15 02:33 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
Pro Tracker

I would think they'd be fine. I'd clean them, bag them in water, and let them freeze outside like that.

#6053046 - 11/27/15 02:39 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
pertnear Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Kingsland, TX
I usually have a few of this & that in my freezer so here is a "rough" recipe of mine. I put about 6 quail & 6 doves in a crock pot. Throw in some onion garlic & a jalapeno. Then pour in my favorite(available sauce) with some water or chicken broth to cover. Slow cook until tender but it is easy to over-do so be careful & check often or you'll end up with mush full of tiny bones!...LOL

My Texas blog: http://thedrchronicles.com/

#6053083 - 11/27/15 02:59 PM Re: What's your favorite way to cook quail / favorite recipe? [Re: pharmvet]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Should be fine. What did you shoot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide