A Couple Questions #6045976 11/24/15 12:05 AM
N
ntxaviator Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Alright Fellers,
I am seeking everybody's opinion or maybe past experience on a couple matters. First, has anybody ever had any success or failure using a wood duck call? The cove we have been hunting has produced at least a few woodies every time we have gone. There seems to be a good amount of woodies in the area and I would like the increase our odds if it would be worth the time or money. I have been told by some that the birds are not very responsive to the calls, others have told me that they work just fine.
Second, this may seem ridiculous but has anybody ever used mojo dove in their spread? Due to current circumstances, I do not have my mojo duck but I do happen to have a couple dove. We always work a jerk string but I have heard of some people using dove in their spread. Would I be wasting my time by trying? I look forward to everybody's feedback and overly sarcastic advice. Thanks.

"We dont Rent Pigs"
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6046018 11/24/15 12:18 AM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I've never even tried to call a woody and typically don't shoot at them cause they are everywhere at lst. I let them go and work the flocks for our first shots. I do know guys up north that call them and the key is to use a loafing call, not the sound we always hear in flight. Their loafing call is a strung out popping sound sorta, which I'm sure your aware of.

Seen someone on here with mojo dove pics in background behind a pile of ducks. Couldn't hurt I don't guess. I really like the lucky duck rapid flyers. If u have to replace, try those. It is a wing beat, not a spin and really help in thick marsh and woods, even on overcast days.

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6046031 11/24/15 12:24 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Dove mojos work great during teal season but we do not use them after teal season.

As for the woodies, the only one I've ever seen around here was on a pond in town.

I heard grebes come into the mojos pretty good.... bolt

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6046044 11/24/15 12:30 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I use a dove mojo in my spread for teal and big ducks. I think they just see the flashing not so much the species of the mojo.

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Erichugh22] #6046049 11/24/15 12:33 AM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I use a dove mojo in my spread for teal and big ducks. I think they just see the flashing not so much the species of the mojo.

That's where I seen it. Glad u saw and could answer.

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: BradyBuck] #6046051 11/24/15 12:34 AM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Dove mojos work great during teal season but we do not use them after teal season.

As for the woodies, the only one I've ever seen around here was on a pond in town.

I heard grebes come into the mojos pretty good.... bolt

Your crazy... Lol. Here we go! roflmao

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6046081 11/24/15 12:45 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Are you sure they are woodies?

[Linked Image]

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047186 11/24/15 04:02 PM
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
RIP Gary

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047265 11/24/15 04:43 PM
F
Flock Knocker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
popcorn

Stop Searching and Start Hunting!
www.THREECURL.COM
469-289-1HOG (1464)
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @ Three Curl Outfitters
Guided Duck, Dove, Goose, Hog, Varmint Hunts North Texas and Kansas
Season and Annual Leases available
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047391 11/24/15 05:33 PM
G
Guitars&Guns Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Growing up we shot a lot of wood ducks and I personally do not believe you will have success calling them in or getting them to decoy.

For the Mojo question, what you are looking for is to get attention and I think your better bet is the jerk string, but don't do it when they are looking at you. They'll pinpoint you pretty quickly.

Last edited by Guitars&Guns; 11/24/15 09:32 PM.
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047404 11/24/15 05:36 PM
G
Guitars&Guns Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
PS...If you don't follow the sarcasm of others comments concerning the Grebe, species identification, or why your other posts were removed, you might PM someone to get more insight that can be very helpful in your future endeavors. Best of Luck.

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Guitars&Guns] #6047456 11/24/15 05:56 PM
Z
zbot11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
Originally Posted By: Guitars&Guns
PS...If you don't follow the sarcasm of others comments concerning the Grebe, species identification, or why your other posts were removed, you might PM someone to get more insight that can be very helpful in your future endeavors. Best of Luck.

I missed the good stuff. What happened???

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: zbot11] #6047461 11/24/15 06:00 PM
G
Guitars&Guns Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: ZachW

I missed the good stuff. What happened???

I don't think I'll further incriminate the fella

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047471 11/24/15 06:04 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Never had success calling woodies. We typically set up a pair of dekes early on. They either work into edge of spread or just fly by waving goodbye- shooting back their middle finger

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Guitars&Guns] #6047488 11/24/15 06:08 PM
Z
zbot11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
I don't think I'll further incriminate the fella

That's fair enough.

Now, to be helpful. I use a dove mojo pretty often. I can't tell that it has too much effect, but doesn't seem to hurt. I've definitely never had them set down on top of it like they will a full-size mojo.

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047618 11/24/15 07:34 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Mojo dove work. I use older batteries cause with new ones they spin way too fast. I also put a row of blue masking tape on the white part of the wings

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6047641 11/24/15 07:51 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Mojo Grebe FTW

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Guitars&Guns] #6047788 11/24/15 09:01 PM
N
ntxaviator Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N

yeah I got the Grebe (coot) comments and they are much appreciated. I'm glad to know that all these guys wait till an hour after LST until they shoot so they can identify their birds better. It gives me hope for the future of duck hunting

"We dont Rent Pigs"
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6048487 11/25/15 02:16 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: ntxaviator

yeah I got the Grebe (coot) comments and they are much appreciated. I'm glad to know that all these guys wait till an hour after LST until they shoot so they can identify their birds better. It gives me hope for the future of duck hunting

So now it's a legal shooting time problem?
You said before that the "coot" was accidentally shot.
It now seems that you shot it on purpose but it was just too dark for you to tell what it was. Maybe you actually thought it was a duck.
I don't care how "dark" it is. A grebe looks nothing like a coot and a coot looks nothing like a duck.

You should know what you are shooting, period. If you don't know what a bird is, don't shoot. It's that simple.
If you have to wait for more light in order to know what you are shooting then it's probably a good idea to wait.
Everyone is so intent on "getting a limit" these days that they just have to shoot when a bird is there. So scared they might not see another bird and miss out on the street cred.

[Linked Image]

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: Fooshman] #6048651 11/25/15 03:20 AM
N
ntxaviator Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

It now seems that you shot it on purpose but it was just too dark for you to tell what it was. Maybe you actually thought it was a duck.
I don't care how "dark" it is. A grebe looks nothing like a coot and a coot looks nothing like a duck.

You should know what you are shooting, period. If you don't know what a bird is, don't shoot. It's that simple.
If you have to wait for more light in order to know what you are shooting then it's probably a good idea to wait.
Everyone is so intent on "getting a limit" these days that they just have to shoot when a bird is there. So scared they might not see another bird and miss out on the street cred.

No, there's no problem with LST, it was all hunter error. The original intent of this thread was me seeking advice and answers to a few questions that I figured y'all might have, not to be bashed on the internet. I care nothing about street cred, I'm just trying to enjoy duck hunting, I'm not going to let people trash talking behind their computer screens get in the way of that. I apologize to anybody I may have offended. Again, I appreciate the feedback.

"We dont Rent Pigs"
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: beaversnipe] #6049472 11/25/15 05:07 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Mojo dove work. I use older batteries cause with new ones they spin way too fast. I also put a row of blue masking tape on the white part of the wings

They typically don't flare birds either- we have set them up 50-200 yards from spread to get their attn. Blue painters tape good idea

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6049562 11/25/15 05:49 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Shoot Sniper-John a PM. I believe he has a spot or two just for woodies.

[Linked Image]
Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6049736 11/25/15 07:44 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I use a mojo dove on occasion depending on the situation. I just got a mojo teal last night and used it this morning.
I think it fits in and looks better. Seemed to pull in a ton of dove.

[Linked Image]

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: beaversnipe] #6049738 11/25/15 07:46 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe

We should work out some kind of deal. You spring for the new batteries and when I am done with them I will send them to you. I like mine with fresh batteries.

[Linked Image]

Re: A Couple Questions [Re: ntxaviator] #6049826 11/25/15 08:39 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

No, there's no problem with LST, it was all hunter error. The original intent of this thread was me seeking advice and answers to a few questions that I figured y'all might have, not to be bashed on the internet. I care nothing about street cred, I'm just trying to enjoy duck hunting, I'm not going to let people trash talking behind their computer screens get in the way of that. I apologize to anybody I may have offended. Again, I appreciate the feedback.
We dont get to shoot anything all week so some of us choose to shoot at each other on the forum. Get a bigger gun and get into the shoot out!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide