Print Thread
Murphy's Law of Hunting #6045676 11/23/15 09:35 PM
B
Bill_OA Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
The ranch truck is dead out at our deer lease and of course the guy at the store sold me the wrong battery which cost me valuable hunting time!

I know this problem is not unique to me because of course if it can go wrong in the woods it will go wrong EVERY TIME!

That got me thinking...

What are some of y'alls Murphy's Law moments? You know, the problems that always seem to pop up while you are out hunting, or the things that keep you from getting to go hunting as much as you'd like?

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045691 11/23/15 09:41 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My coon cage around my corn feeder here lately. I must have some super heavy weight coons hanging around my feeders.

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045733 11/23/15 10:02 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
It's not keeping me from going hunting, but rather not taking an opportunity when it presents itself. Drove past my feeder Friday afternoon, parked truck, walked to blind and had a yellow jacket get caught in my beard. Slammed the door and went into ninja mode. Once all was settled I realized there was a nice buck under my far feeder. I watched him for over an hour but didn't pull the trigger. Didn't see anything else near that quality the rest of the weekend hammer

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045738 11/23/15 10:05 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Weather forecast will change from cool/cold and 0% chance of rain to warm and flash flood watch as soon as I hit the county line. It's not even like I just finished washing my truck or anything like that.

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045754 11/23/15 10:13 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Got to the lease last Thursday evening at 9pm. Started 4 wheeler to pickup camera cards to see where I was going to hunt. Two flat tires. Aired tires and took off, 4 wheeler back fired and died and would not start. Got on the tractor and proceeded to go get camera cards and put corn in 2 feeders that I knew were about empty. Filled 1 feeder heading toward the next one. Buried the tractor in a soft spot. Of course I was on the back side of the lease about 1500 yards to camp. Cap light and pen light was all I had. Coyotes singing and hogs squealing, just kept walking. Got to camp, pushed 4 wheeler back to trailer and worked on it. Got it running and hunted next day. Of course it had flooded so I saw nothing. Did I say that this was a 3.5 hour drive to the lease? Son got up to the lease next day and wind kicked up 30 mph plus. Of course we did not see anything. Left for home, stopped for a BBQ sandwich. Came out, son had a bad look on his face, KEYS? Locked his keys in his truck. Checked no way to get in. I was told he only had one set of keys, REALLY? This happened once before when he was a sophomore in school, thought he learned a lesson from that having only one set of keys. Couldn't not find a local locks smith. Finally got one in route from Verizon Roadside Assistance. I did not know that even existed. Finally got a guy to come from OK. I was in Red River county, nothing there at all. Was glad to finally get home.

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045767 11/23/15 10:18 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Get in the stand one morning long before daylight....bout sunrise I figure there was a skunk sleeping inside the stand all balled up in the corner....I figured a skunk got into a scrap with something outside the stand the night before and it would make for a great scent cover....right.....WRONG!

LUCKLY both of us got out safely....me first of course.....small blessings....small blessings...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6045803 11/23/15 10:39 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
was the battery not strong enough to crank the truck?

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6046162 11/24/15 01:12 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Grandsons hunted my tower blind. Kept hearing a noise. Turns out the noise is a ringtail that somehow got inside the 15' high tower. Came back to cabin to get the.22. One grandson locked the other in after the "shooter" climbed inside the blind. First shot only wounded the critter. Did you know that a ringtail can run on the sides of a blind as well as the ceiling? Laughed my arse off. Story will be good for years.. roflmao

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6046190 11/24/15 01:20 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
One time got in the stand, had a nice eight point show up. Pulled the trigger, CLICK. Buck just stood there. As I racked the bolt back the magazine fell out of my 788 and out of the tree. Deer still stood there. Reached In my pocket for the extra clip. Yup, not there, probably still on the seat of the pickup. Good times!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6046236 11/24/15 01:37 AM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Opening morning this year. It had been a long day so I got in bed fairly early. About 22:00 it comes a turd floater, by the time I wake up (I sleep through everything) the damage was done, everything was soaked. Got up that morning and go too crank the four wheeler... Dead battery. Reach for jumper cables in the truck... My nephew has them. So I hopped in the truck and took off to the stand. Half way there I stick it... Stick it good. Tried to get out before giving up and just walking. About 15-20 later I finally get to the stand and start settling in, go to grab the rifle and chamber a shell... Shells are in the truck. PO'ed and muddy and I hustle back to the truck and back... 30 minutes later I'm out of breath and back but by god it's opening morning and I'm ready. Didn't kill crap that morning but I definitely won't forget it anytime soon.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6046429 11/24/15 02:51 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
worst is getting older and not being
able to hold off needing to go like
can be done when in your 20's.

i've been through the battery thing.
i had to explain with the bad battery
sitting on the counter that every BCI
group # battery is the same regardless
of the brand name on it, as in every
group 78 battery will fit in place of
any other group 78 battery and so on. clerk doesn't
understand the concept. "well do you have
one or not ?" "well. . .what does it
fit ?" "you don't need to know- the old
one is 2 feet from your face. do you have
one or not ?" " . . what does it fit ?" taz realmad

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: DH3] #6046440 11/24/15 02:57 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: DH3
Grandsons hunted my tower blind. Kept hearing a noise. Turns out the noise is a ringtail that somehow got inside the 15' high tower. Came back to cabin to get the.22. One grandson locked the other in after the "shooter" climbed inside the blind. First shot only wounded the critter. Did you know that a ringtail can run on the sides of a blind as well as the ceiling? Laughed my arse off. Story will be good for years.. roflmao

It's very rare a story is created that your grandsons will tell their grandsons. But this sounds like it'll make it. You're a blessed man!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: maximum] #6046452 11/24/15 03:01 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: maximum

This was my first thought when I read this thread. #1 I've solved with carrying an empty screw-top jug (ice tea, OJ, etc.) with me to every stand I go to. But, in the other department when you think you've completed your morning fax to Obama completely at the cabin, when you get nice and comfy in the blind, you slowly start realizing that there's an addendum to the fax. I hate that.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Navasot] #6046594 11/24/15 04:11 AM
B
Bill_OA Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
No wrong terminals. Not a big deal unless its 11PM and you're in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6046596 11/24/15 04:12 AM
B
Bill_OA Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
One time got in the stand, had a nice eight point show up. Pulled the trigger, CLICK. Buck just stood there. As I racked the bolt back the magazine fell out of my 788 and out of the tree. Deer still stood there. Reached In my pocket for the extra clip. Yup, not there, probably still on the seat of the pickup. Good times!

That is a reoccurring bad dream of mine. Not sure what it means. Anyone care to interpret?

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #6046953 11/24/15 02:09 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
you slowly start realizing that there's an addendum to the fax.

That's when the zipper on my overalls gets stuck. Any other time, it works perfectly.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6047356 11/24/15 05:22 PM
B
BobbyLight Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I think one of the biggest problems I faced when I first started hunting was finding a place to go. I'm fortunate enough now to have a lease in close proximity to our house, but for years I had to either hunt public or knock on a lot of doors to find a place to hunt.

Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Bill_OA] #6050572 11/26/15 04:13 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
>>If you have similar looking rifles, in different calibers, at 4:30 in the morning, while trying not to wake your wife, you will pick up the wrong ammo for the rifle.

>>The chance that the new Lithium batteries you bought being bad is infinitesimal, unless the success of the hunt depends on the batteries.

>>WaterProof boots only leak in COLD weather.

My worst single string Murphy luck happened a few years back. I had been working a LOT and was not getting much hunting time. I was supposed to get home on Thursday, and was taking Friday off for a long weekend of deer hunting. Well, the last flight out on Thursday was cancelled and I made it home about 11:30 AM on Friday. ( I have been out of state for a week, have not watched TV, and my wife is at work when I get home.) I'm pissed about missing a morning hunt, so I hastily throw equipment in the truck and haul A, trying to get in an evening hunt. When I start getting close to my place, I realized there had been some rain, but did not think anything of it...I can deal with a little mud. I throw a sandwich, a snack, bottled water, and a couple of airplane bottle of jack in my backpack, grab my gun, and start the 1/2 mile hike to my favorite box blind, near the river bank. I remember thinking "It's a little colder than I expected, I wish I checked the weather."

Well, I'm sitting in the blind and the feeder goes off right on schedule...but just whirs, not corn is slinging...it cannot be out of corn, so it must have a cob jammed in it or something. bang

My stand is at a choke point, so I decide to wait it out and see what comes stumbling down the trail. Big clouds start rolling in about 30 min before sundown and it starts to rain just about when my phone says it sundown. There is definitely not enough light for shooting, even before sundown. mad

Well, I'm not walking back in the rain, so I crack the first airplane bottle of Jack. Its sill raining, so the second bottle and the candy bar go away. Its still raining. I decide I will take a little nap, so I fold the chair up and stretch out on the floor of the blind. I wake up about 4:00 and the rain has quit, so I pack my stuff up and head back to the cabin...except on the next to last step of the ladder, my foot plunges into cold water realmad

While I slept, the river came out of its banks. (I found out it had rained 3 1/2" in the previous two days, but another 2" that night.) I had about 200 yards of cold water to wade through, then the rest of the 1/2 mile walk. Wouldn't you know the propane tank on the cabin heater lasted about 10 minutes when I got back. bang

I just loaded my truck up and headed home.

Last edited by nak; 11/26/15 04:14 AM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #6051172 11/26/15 05:02 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E

This was my first thought when I read this thread. #1 I've solved with carrying an empty screw-top jug (ice tea, OJ, etc.) with me to every stand I go to. But, in the other department when you think you've completed your morning fax to Obama completely at the cabin, when you get nice and comfy in the blind, you slowly start realizing that there's an addendum to the fax. I hate that.
That's funny right there clap

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: Erathkid] #6051200 11/26/15 05:18 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

Funny but oh so true, well described though

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Murphy's Law of Hunting [Re: kmon11] #6051801 11/27/15 12:19 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

Funny but oh so true, well described though
a #2 actually means 2 times

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide