476317 Topics
6248246 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6045593 - 11/23/15 02:50 PM camp kitchen and pantry boxes
Jerry Fisk Offline
Woodsman

Loc: SW Arkansas
I made these some time back to take hunting with us each year. We use the green one for pans, utensils and assorted cooking needs, the tall blue box is for foods, the flat box holds a two burner stove, a dutch oven and a volcano stove as well as various cooking needs. When I pack all three side ways with my ice chest they just fit across my truck or all go in the Gator with room for tent and bags or hammocks. This pattern fits on pack saddles, I just put on a different hand hold. The flat box did not fit on pack saddle, that is just a ammo box bottom half, but it carries what my wife and I need. For two people it works just right for a weeks worth of getting out. I know it might not be some of yall hunting gear but it is mine and just thought I would show it.

www.jerryfisk.com

#6045633 - 11/23/15 03:09 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
chalet Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Side of the Metromess
Nice. My nephew is getting in to camping and have been thinking about building something just like that for him by Christmas.

#6046939 - 11/24/15 08:04 AM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
bjankowski Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Burleson, Tex and Possum Kingd...
Nice Jerry; back in the 70's I had a topper on my pickup and had it permanently fixed like that for hunting and fishing, in fact there were many days that I slept in the truck on an air mattress.
Good job.

"If thou wilst a keen edge win
forge it thick and grind it thin"

#6050663 - 11/25/15 11:06 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
maximum Offline
Pro Tracker

those look really nice.
you did a good job. nice
and sturdy looking.

i've had some like that i
built. (more like throwed together)
i seem to end up filling it with a case and a
half of canned goods, and enough
cookware and utensils to outfit all
the cooks on television. then i can't
pick it up and move it around without
busting my guts.

#6051071 - 11/26/15 10:01 AM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
Just like a Chuck Wagon. I use old cooler to put can goods in, another cook ware. Got to watch weight, two men and a boy needed to move.

#6051147 - 11/26/15 10:44 AM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Nice rig. Tell me about that winch.

I have a short attention spa

#6051688 - 11/26/15 05:29 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
Jerry Fisk Offline
Woodsman

She is a good winch and we'v been married for years.

the gator has an eletric tilt bed. I put the boat winch on there so my wife could load up her own hogs or deer. Tilt the bed, hook the gamble, crank it up, tilt bed flat , drive to camp change to meat pole and skin.
She got one hog that burned out a 500 pound winch that was hooked to the reciver hitch. Big ole sucker. But, i had to be there to help her with it. So we came up with this set up and whoever uses it can load up anything that fits in the back.

i designed the whiteriver Packer model to fit her hands for her own skinning chores but dang if do not like it better than the full size knife.

Edited by Jerry Fisk (11/26/15 05:31 PM)

www.jerryfisk.com

#6051806 - 11/26/15 06:21 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: Jerry Fisk
I made these some time back to take hunting with us each year. We use the green one for pans, utensils and assorted cooking needs, the tall blue box is for foods, the flat box holds a two burner stove, a dutch oven and a volcano stove as well as various cooking needs. When I pack all three side ways with my ice chest they just fit across my truck or all go in the Gator with room for tent and bags or hammocks. This pattern fits on pack saddles, I just put on a different hand hold. The flat box did not fit on pack saddle, that is just a ammo box bottom half, but it carries what my wife and I need. For two people it works just right for a weeks worth of getting out. I know it might not be some of yall hunting gear but it is mine and just thought I would show it.

nice job, military style field kitchens

#6052355 - 11/26/15 11:59 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
djs303 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Jackson County
Thanks for posting. You have given me an idea to store and transport my camp kitchen things. What kind of hinges did you use/recommend for the "door/counter top".

#6052751 - 11/27/15 10:39 AM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
Jerry Fisk Offline
Woodsman

djs, used a full length hinge, like a piano hinge for the door, you get them down at the hardware store. Not only does it work well but it helps with warpage. I used a simple hasp lock on both sides of the top again, to help with any warp and to help hold it well. I used a chain on the doors on both sides so I could use the drop down door as a platform to put pans or cook etc.
I made the top shelves a bit different height on one inside heights. I used a 1x10 on the sides. 3/8" plywood for the rest. This way it held the weight down when on a pack saddle. 9 inch paper blades will go in the box sideways, etc.. Seems like the box measures 23 inch high.
There is room to put all three of these boxes, plus a cooler and two hammocks plus blankets if need be. Hook one end of the hammock to the gator the other to the tree and she and I have everything you need for a few days to a week.

www.jerryfisk.com

#6056245 - 11/29/15 01:28 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
djs303 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Jackson County
Thanks for the information on the hinges. Piano hinges look to be a great idea. Thanks again for posting.

#6063472 - 12/02/15 06:51 PM Re: camp kitchen and pantry boxes [Re: Jerry Fisk]
jeh7mmmag Online   happy
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
Looks great Jerry, Very handy camp boxes. Stop by a BSA store or look at their catalog for a chiefs set of pots, pans, and tools. They work nice, very light, and nest very well. Some of the tools you may not need.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide