Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Where would you hunt.... #6044199 11/23/15 02:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If this buck was the latest to show up in the daylight?
Where was I at 2:30pm this day??? (time and date is off by one hour I think I have not changed this one) I was filling feeders with corn and protein around starting around 1 pm right before this buck was at this feeder. I had to have driven by him or close to him somewhere that afternoon. I was in my tractor and had the bucket full of bag feeding driving from feeder to feeder. I had my rifle with me just in case.

These two pics were on a morning I was hunting my best blind. I was shooting coyotes about 5 minutes before this buck was at the different feeder. I went that direction about 45 minutes after I shot the coyote(shot a 7:12). I got out and walked about 250-300 yards towards that blind at around 8:00 and rattled. I did rattle up a young buck but I am surprised this buck did not show up since he was not to far from where I was rattling. I left that area after about 20 minutes of ratttling. I would not have thought twice about shooting him if I had rattle him up. He was at this blind a pretty good while in the feed pen.

Now the dilema. I hunted the blind he was at on the the 19th yesterday evening and today both hunts. He was a no show on any feeder on my TC's last night. The blind he was at on the 21st is the closest to the house but does not get the amount of deer this year it has in the past. There have been 3 mature nice bucks at it once or twice per month since August.This blind does not have many does at this year and the rut should be starting any day. The blind he was at on 19th gets more action and has this buck and another good buck at it about once to twice per month since August. I have been seeing 4-5 does at this blind the past 2 days now.

This buck showed up morning before General Season opened. Lens fogged up and he was only in for one pic and it is not the best.

My best blind for seeing lots of deer has not had any TC pics of any of these better bucks, but lots of young to middle age bucks and does. I will see 5-10 does on any hunt there. One mature buck(Cull-ver) has been there but not a shooter right now.
So where would you hunt in the morning? Supposed to be 34 degrees with no wind. I have always tended to hunt where the most does are, but these better bucks I have seen this year and several in years past on my TC's, do not go to that blind with the most deer at it. All the bucks that have been killed on my place were killed at the better blind, but all could have been killed at one of the other blinds also. Which blind would you choose? All my blinds have a feed pen with corn/protein feeders and an oats/winter pea food plot. All are within 250 yards or less of water. I also know that not all the bucks that travel in will jump into a feed pen and get a pic on my TC's. I have the same issue as rifleman has with to many choices of where to hunt. Seems I have been making the wrong choices so far. bang

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044210 11/23/15 02:31 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Flip a coin. That way you can blame faith if your wrong wink

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044218 11/23/15 02:35 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Clearly you need a third choice........but I guess if I had to settle between those two I figure I would just have to sit in that first stand from before daylight until after sunset til that buck showed up......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6044220 11/23/15 02:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I actually headed out this evening and stopped about 600 yards from the blind and thought about not going to the same blind I had been in for 2 hunts. Backed up and turned with intention to head to the other blind, around only to stop and turn around to head to the same blind I had been in. I had deer moving before 4 this afternoon and in front of the till dark. I am thinking I need to go to one blind with 4 feeders nidea

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6044221 11/23/15 02:37 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Clearly you need a third choice........but I guess if I had to settle between those two I figure I would just have to sit in that first stand from before daylight until after sunset til that buck showed up......

I do have a third choice....that is the problem bang

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044233 11/23/15 02:41 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Sounds like you need fewer feeders/stands to focus your choices..... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044245 11/23/15 02:48 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I would go where the does are. Great pictures.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044250 11/23/15 02:50 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Yep, sit in the same blind for morning & evening for a week. Too much waffling going on. grin

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6044253 11/23/15 02:51 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Spent the last day and a half planning on just that. Going to condense two blind location to one new blind in between them. I will have it with two feeders at it that will cover most of the area I did with two blinds. That will still leave me two choices instead of three but might cut a new sendero for over 1/2 miles so I can see that blinds feeder. grin I usually hunt that one blind about 95% of the time each year. It is better for taking pictures and deer numbers is why I like it.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: Wilhunt] #6044257 11/23/15 02:54 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I would go where the does are. Great pictures.

I was there at the best blind for doe numbers the two times he was on the place. He had other ideas it seemed. I think this buck was here last year and at the same blind he was the other evening. I hunt that same blind 95% of the time due to the doe numbers and deer activity.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044258 11/23/15 02:54 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

#3....whichever blind I'm not hunting.

I tend to see more of my random appearance bucks on a stand with more cover around it and closest to the gate. Fewer deer sightings usually, but tend to be the right deer seen.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: rifleman] #6044266 11/23/15 02:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

I tend to see more of my random appearance bucks on a stand with more cover around it and closest to the gate. Fewer deer sightings usually, but tend to be the right deer seen.

That seems to be the norm here also. That is why I am condensing from 3 blinds(rifle) to 2. All three bucks killed here since I bought the place 3 yrs ago were from the blind with the most does. All 3 were seen on TC there for at least one year or more while hunting. These bucks this year have not been there yet this year or in the past to that blind with the most activity. That blind is the most isolated with least amount of traffic/noise.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044268 11/23/15 02:59 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Hunt the wind and take the first one that shows. You can't go wrong with that. Great job of managing your herd, looks like they are in great shape.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: Longhunter] #6044280 11/23/15 03:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Longhunter
Hunt the wind and take the first one that shows. You can't go wrong with that. Great job of managing your herd, looks like they are in great shape.

Two blinds are good with any wind but West/SW, which is a rare wind here. One is good with any wind but a strong NE wind but still huntable if I corn the roads and not by the feeder(which is 120 yards from the blind). I do not hunt this blind with NE wind. All blinds are pretty air-tight if I leave all the windows shut since I have had a buck walk with-in 12 yards this evening downwind.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6044291 11/23/15 03:12 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

up

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044299 11/23/15 03:15 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

That seems to be the norm here also. That is why I am condensing from 3 blinds(rifle) to 2. All three bucks killed here since I bought the place 3 yrs ago were from the blind with the most does. All 3 were seen on TC there for at least one year or more while hunting. These bucks this year have not been there yet this year or in the past to that blind with the most activity. That blind is the most isolated with least amount of traffic/noise.

Then hunt the one with fewer does and less competition for them to deal with. Easy to talk yourself out of hunting those stands when you enjoy shooting with the camera too and others provide more opportunity for that. I should know, I've yet to hunt my most productive stand for seeing the older bucks this season.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: rifleman] #6044330 11/23/15 03:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Then hunt the one with fewer does and less competition for them to deal with. Easy to talk yourself out of hunting those stands when you enjoy shooting with the camera too and others provide more opportunity for that. I should know, I've yet to hunt my most productive stand for seeing the older bucks this season.

Really easy talk myself out of hunting those blinds when the TC's have gone dead with deer movement in the pens the past 3 weeks now. I am corning roads at all 3 randomly but the one every day. The pic of the buck on the 21st that morning, there was not one night time pic of a deer in that feed pen last night. One young buck in the daylight was all. The pen he was at the other afternoon had no pics of any deer that same night. I am seeing deer when I corn the roads and they are finally starting to hit the oats. All the corn on the roads is gone the next morning. With the good rainfall a couple of weeks ago there are so many weeds growing right now they do not have to eat any protein or corn at all. Hoping freeze will knock some of the green back and put them on the oats. So far this season I have not seen many bucks following in does at all. They will check them after they eat some corn on the roads and run them off then go back to eating corn for a bit. Then finally walk off. Even that roaming has slowed down this past couple of days with much colder temps which is odd. If bucks are not roaming in the morning with calm winds and near freezing it is just a bit to early yet for the rut here. This is just a different year for hunting so far. Deer movement is not the same as years past. Seems to be the same for a few guys I am talking to in other areas also. Some are having great success while others are not seeing many deer at all.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044388 11/23/15 04:07 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Have you gotten the cameras away from the pens?

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044521 11/23/15 09:55 AM
T
TheDman62 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Where was I at 2:30pm this day??? (time and date is off by one hour I think I have not changed this one) I was filling feeders with corn and protein around starting around 1 pm right before this buck was at this feeder. I had to have driven by him or close to him somewhere that afternoon. I was in my tractor and had the bucket full of bag feeding driving from feeder to feeder. I had my rifle with me just in case.

These two pics were on a morning I was hunting my best blind. I was shooting coyotes about 5 minutes before this buck was at the different feeder. I went that direction about 45 minutes after I shot the coyote(shot a 7:12). I got out and walked about 250-300 yards towards that blind at around 8:00 and rattled. I did rattle up a young buck but I am surprised this buck did not show up since he was not to far from where I was rattling. I left that area after about 20 minutes of ratttling. I would not have thought twice about shooting him if I had rattle him up. He was at this blind a pretty good while in the feed pen.

Now the dilema. I hunted the blind he was at on the the 19th yesterday evening and today both hunts. He was a no show on any feeder on my TC's last night. The blind he was at on the 21st is the closest to the house but does not get the amount of deer this year it has in the past. There have been 3 mature nice bucks at it once or twice per month since August.This blind does not have many does at this year and the rut should be starting any day. The blind he was at on 19th gets more action and has this buck and another good buck at it about once to twice per month since August. I have been seeing 4-5 does at this blind the past 2 days now.

This buck showed up morning before General Season opened. Lens fogged up and he was only in for one pic and it is not the best.

My best blind for seeing lots of deer has not had any TC pics of any of these better bucks, but lots of young to middle age bucks and does. I will see 5-10 does on any hunt there. One mature buck(Cull-ver) has been there but not a shooter right now.
So where would you hunt in the morning? Supposed to be 34 degrees with no wind. I have always tended to hunt where the most does are, but these better bucks I have seen this year and several in years past on my TC's, do not go to that blind with the most deer at it. All the bucks that have been killed on my place were killed at the better blind, but all could have been killed at one of the other blinds also. Which blind would you choose? All my blinds have a feed pen with corn/protein feeders and an oats/winter pea food plot. All are within 250 yards or less of water. I also know that not all the bucks that travel in will jump into a feed pen and get a pic on my TC's. I have the same issue as rifleman has with to many choices of where to hunt. Seems I have been making the wrong choices so far. bang

First, This is an awesome dilemma to have. Second, I would hunt the stand you have him on cam until you see the rut starting then I would hunt your better blind where the does are.

Btw, that is one heck of a buck cheers

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6044542 11/23/15 11:42 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

No sir, sounds like he needs to put me in one stand, then he only has to chose from 2 grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: TheDman62] #6044544 11/23/15 11:44 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: TheDman62

First, This is an awesome dilemma to have. Second, I would hunt the stand you have him on cam until you see the rut starting then I would hunt your better blind where the does are.

Btw, that is one heck of a buck cheers

He is at two different blinds right now. confused2 grin

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: rifleman] #6044547 11/23/15 11:48 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Have you gotten the cameras away from the pens?

I do most years and have had them on water troughs till it rained a bunch. Now I have water in holes in a drainage and a small pond along with troughs. So they have lots of water. To many trails to try to guess on the right one. I don't put out corn piles on trails since I do not want to invite hogs to stay. Only corn I put out now is eaten up by the deer before hogs have a chance to find it. I would like to keep it that way. I also have oats so deer move in from all directions on it.

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044548 11/23/15 11:49 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Game time. Decisions, decisions. juggle

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044549 11/23/15 11:50 AM
T
TheDman62 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Ok I figured out a solution. Ill come hunt one stand and you hunt the other. That way we have em covered happy3

Re: Where would you hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #6044649 11/23/15 01:31 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'd hunt the stand where the BIG one shows up the mist often...he's just too good not to try to get a shot at him....then if he later shows up at your favorite stand switch and hunt there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide