Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County #6043400 11/22/15 07:52 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Guys,

I'll start by saying this week has easily been the 2nd toughest in my 45 years (the toughest being my 13 year old son's Leukemia diagnosis 10 years ago); most of you know I lost my longtime and dedicated South Texas hunting partner of 40 years, my Dad on Wednesday. After a year of dialysis and failing health, he went into cardiac arrest on Wednesday afternoon and the pain was gone for him but all too present for his large family and friends. After being with family in Corpus Christi and making the cremation arrangements on Thursday, it was time to get back in the stand here in NW Texas on Saturday and this morning for some solitude and reflection. With the wind howling nearly all day yesterday, things were very, very slow; don't think that I heard one single shot to be honest. My hope was that this morning would bring better luck. After not seeing anything nor hearing any gunshots in the low wind and 22 degree weather, I decided to break out the Primos Doe Bleat "Long can", the MAD Growl grunt and Knight & Hale rattle pack. I proceeded to alternate the grunt and rattle pack with an occasional "long can". After about 10-15 minutes of no luck, I decided to try one more series. After about 30 seconds I looked down to right from the tripod and caught movement about 150 yards away and on a quick trot. I brought the binoculars up to see that it was a very nice, heavy horned mature buck with a spread well outside his ears and tall. I quickly counted 10 points and determined he would be a nice one to harvest, in the 130-140" range was my quick estimate. Upon my stopping the rattle and grunt, he came to a stop in some partial brush. He quickly turned around and started walking away stopping very briefly behind a small bush at about 125 yards. At this point, I aimed through the light bush, high shoulder and let one ring out. He trotted out of sight behind some heavier brush. I waited about 30 minutes before deciding to get down and went to where I shot at him behind the light bush. There was actually lots of broomweed in this area, about 3-4 ft. high but no blood nor any deer. I went in the direction behind the heavier brush but still no blood in the broomweed and no deer. After doing a series of concentric circles, it became pretty apparent that I likely had rushed the shot and missed. Honestly, the emotions have been running high since Wed. with a fair number of tears shed, so it really doesn't come as a a major shocker that I did not connect on him. Though I was dejected I feel that Dad hand a hand from above in sending me the opportunity to harvest such a nice buck. Daytime mature buck sightings have been pretty sporadic on my small place the past few years so this was quite the "divine" surprise. I called my Mom on my way home and told her that I felt Dad sent this bruiser my way and she said that she also felt Dad was looking down from above. Not 100% sure, but this guy taken on camera a few nights ago could have been the "divine deer" sent my way.

The rut is definitely on and I'd hit horns, can and grunt in a heartbeat!

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6043407 11/22/15 07:57 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
DQ, you sound blessed to have seen a great buck as you describe, season isn't over though, could be tales of a story yet to come. Continued prayers for you and your family sir, extra thrown in for your son.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6043408 11/22/15 07:57 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
It's not always about the final destination, but the adventure to get there. No doubt, that buck had some guidance cheers

You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers sir.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6043432 11/22/15 08:14 PM
B
Bullock10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
That's his was of letting you know he's not gone forever. It's tough but there will be a new day.

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: txshntr] #6043452 11/22/15 08:22 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
It's not always about the final destination, but the adventure to get there. No doubt, that buck had some guidance cheers

You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers sir.

Good luck up

X2...keep after him.... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6043800 11/22/15 11:19 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
hang in there, we all have or will be there, I'm having to "hang in there" after pass through on a buck Thursday and no blood trail. frown it is tough, but keep telling myself I will be a better hunter for it.

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6043821 11/22/15 11:30 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You've been through, and attempted, a heckuva lot in less than a week. You did everything right on the shot. 'Just wasn't meant to be. You'll be a better hunter for it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hate to break it to you, but the truth is, if he was a good dad, you never get over it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6044065 11/23/15 01:25 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
QDog,

Thanks for calling me this morning to share your experience. As Creekrunner said it was not meant to be. The important thing as we spoke is that you have things in perspective. Your Dad is chuckling with you as he knows you should have made that shot but you know what DQ, he'll send another one your way. I am positive of that.

We all feel for you with your loss. Time heals amigo. He is in a much better place.

God Bless!

4W

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: 4Weight] #6044173 11/23/15 02:11 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: 4Weight
QDog,

Thanks for calling me this morning to share your experience. As Creekrunner said it was not meant to be. The important thing as we spoke is that you have things in perspective. Your Dad is chuckling with you as he knows you should have made that shot but you know what DQ, he'll send another one your way. I am positive of that.

We all feel for you with your loss. Time heals amigo. He is in a much better place.

God Bless!

4W

Thanks 4W, I know time heals a wounded heart but I just hope it speeds up...Seriously, today is not as bad as yesterday or Friday, Thursday or Wednesday. Funny thing, I wanted to call him after the hunt but remembered I couldn't. I'm sure that will subside with time too. Thanks for being a pal.

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6044336 11/23/15 03:36 AM
B
blindcowboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I am sorry for your loss and prayers for you and your family. I am 32 and on dialysis for the second time because I lost the kidney I received this January. I've seen the anguish it puts your family through and it's not fun to watch.

Re: Heartbreak, Dejection & Elation in SW Young County [Re: DQ Kid] #6046066 11/24/15 12:44 AM
S
Swamped Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Sorry for your loss DQ, I cant imagine losing my father. Prayers for you and your family.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide