Print Thread
Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! #6040885 11/20/15 08:30 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
So I set up arrangements for a management hunt at a local ranch close to Victoria, Texas. They need a few does gone, and a few young 3 points that this is their second year producing small racks.

The owner met me at the main ranch the first evening to show me around. He gave me access to his polaris, and showed me where to go and the trails to take. HE then drove me out to the stand and gave me all the information that I would need to get the job done. He left e there and the polaris s could easily drive myself and the deer back at the end of the night.

The feeder went off at 4:30pm and a small group of piglets came out, but never went to the feeder, they just passed on by the stand, and I watched them for about 10 mins until they made their way out of the area. No big ones in the group, and I would have let them walk anyway due to being there for other targets. Then about 4:45 a NICE 12 point came out to the feeder and hung out for about 10 mins, until he got his fill of corn and left. RIGHT after he left a 10 point came out, only about 2.5 years old, as if he was waiting in the bushed for the bigger buck to leave. At first I thought he was an 8 point, which would have qualified for a management buck, I texted the owner, and he said take the shot. So I zoomed in my scope for a better look ,and to lign up the shot, and upon closer inspection I noticed two small points that were just over an inch, so I backed off of the shot.

This deer hung around for about 30 mins, right until dark, and then took off. So I was not successful the first night, but saw some great stuff. He then invited me to come back a few days later, yesterday to try again. My wife wanted to come this time and bring our two sons to hang out around camp. He said no problem, and said they could stay int he big house have have free range of the property while I was hunting. When we got there he asked if she minded being on the property with the kids by herself while his ranch hand took me to another spot that he was seeing LOTS of activity. My wife was awesome and said she was fine with it. So we got in his truck and booked it 30 mins away to another ranch of his. This ranch was surrounded by 2 20k acer ranches, one on each side, that were not hunted and VERy little pressure.

We hopped in his ranch jeep with a built in feeder, and started to head down some cut out roads, and feeding the roads. By the time we were at the end of the roads we saw deer coming out behind us to start to eat already, he looked at me and said, "I told you." I was in disbelief. We passed a few other of his feeder set ups on his small 200 acer plot, and noticed deer, about 4 or 5, were standing around waiting for the feeders to go off. NOT THIS IS A LOW FENCE PROPERTY. I just kept thinking this is almost cheating haha, as I am used to public land hunting.

We finally got back to where he wanted me to manage some deer and waited for them to come out to the corn. About 10 mins later a small 2 year old doe walked out about 200 yards away, and he let me know that these are the ones he wants gone, as he has WAS too many small does out here. I said no problem, and we waled about 75 yards, and I lined up the shot, and POW dropped her with a shoulder shot. He told me we should wait about 15 mins to see if another one comes out so I could double up. I said what ever you say boss!

Nothing came out so we walked up to the doe, and that's when we noticed about a 2 year old 3 point in the thick stuff staring at us from about 30 yards. He said do you want to fill a buck tag? He is old enough that is his second set of horns and still a 3 point, so take him out if you want him. I lined up for a neck shot, just under the head because that was all that was showing through the thick stuff. And dropped him in his tracks too. We high fived and went in to load up both deer. Then we jumped a NICE 8 point about 15 yards from us as well.

AS we drove out we counted 56 deer in the 2 mile ride out of the property. CRAZY!

When we got back to the main ranch my wife and kids were eating dinner and playing int he front of the house. They were excited to tell me all about the dogs, chickens goats and cows they got to see (one is 3 years old, and the other is 19 months).

I showed them my deer, and of course they were all happy. We went to the cleaning rack, where his ranch hand insisted on cleaning the two deer for me. He skinned the, gutted them, trimmed the back straps, quartered them up, and packed them in ice for me. After we packed up the deer, the owner offered for us to stay int he house and then hunt int he morning at that ranch to try for a third deer. My kids don't sleep too well in strange places so we did decline that offer. So then he told us to take out the Polaris and go in the high fence area and go deer watching for the kids. He gave us the keys and we were off. With the spotlight we counted 22 deer in about 45 mins of driving around, until they started to get chilly. My son is still talking about the deer he saw, "but Daddy you cannot shoot them at night right?" "Yes son that's right." "AWWWWW MAN DADDY!"

All around was a great experience and TOP NOTCH service. The thing that got me the most was how he took care of my family.

(979)543-0378 7 Oaks Ranch Amazing people and very good prices for management hunts. They also have trophy hunts available too, but those are outside of my budget.

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...734264829434418[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...723667157100285[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...832367650344694[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...4_8959881040040[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...4_7607851185275[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...4_3921109134902[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...4_8564047316872[/img]

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6040888 11/20/15 08:32 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
cheers congrats! gona be some good eatin!

Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6040897 11/20/15 08:36 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
JTProcaddie, I get very excited reading your hunting story here and seeing how sincerely excited you are about hunting and honoring the craft of hunting. Good for you and congrats on a truly successful hunt!

Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6040902 11/20/15 08:38 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I'm glad you had a good experience and got your family involved. It is great to hear about the good outfitters out there.

Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6040921 11/20/15 08:55 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Great Job there Bud up

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6040963 11/20/15 09:26 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
up texas

Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6041170 11/21/15 12:06 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Great story. Cool getting the whole family out there. He's got a really nice place. Sounds like he enjoyed it as much as y'all did. up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6041237 11/21/15 12:56 AM
N
Novemberyet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
So you think you're better than me because you have Yeti? Those are my favorite kinds of hunts....family in tow. Great job. What are you going to do with the hides?

Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6041298 11/21/15 01:24 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Great hunt and recap.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: Novemberyet] #6041551 11/21/15 07:44 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Novemberyet
So you think you're better than me because you have Yeti? Those are my favorite kinds of hunts....family in tow. Great job. What are you going to do with the hides?

I am going to practice tanning with them. They are not large but would make some cool throws or something like that.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Awesome Hunt. Not big deer but a great time! [Re: TXGH] #6044102 11/23/15 01:42 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Side note.. This is my second deer season, with last year only taking 1 deer on public land.

this was my first year processing the meat correctly and WOW! Some of the best breakfast sausage I have ever had! Looking for summer sausage and jerky recipes if anyone is willing to share!

Thank you all!

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide