Page 1 of 2 1 2
First hunt. FML #6040162 11/20/15 01:40 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
So Today is supposed to be the start of my first deer hunt.

Leading up to this I've had to battle a double ear infection, wife (who is coming with) has pneumonia, and father (also going with) has had a nasty cold as well.

Instead of being happy we've beaten all these obstacles, and are now out hunting, I am stuck, pissed off at work, because my boss, decided he didn't want me taking today off since it's the end of our customer's month, and we're supposedly going to be busy. I have done a lot to make sure he was going to be well taken care of in my intended absence. But no, he made sure he scheduled a follow up appointment to the doc about his sniffles and fluid in his ears for today, so now I HAVE to be here. He even took a day off work last week over it, while I, having the same thing, kept my [censored] here to cover everything so he could rest.

I have stressed this is my first deer hunt, I didn't even schedule the date, I won it in a lottery, and was told these are my days to hunt. He has taken a half day on Wednesday which he pretends is work related, but I know for fact he spends most of it at home watching TV or taking a nap, left early yesterday for a dentist appointment (cleaning, nothing wrong) and is leaving early today for a follow up appointment just to check his ears, which are not infected.

So I miss my opener. Tomorrow is looking to be so damned windy I doubt anything is going to move, and maybe at this rate I'll get lucky on Sunday.

I am really pissed about this. I like my boss, but I know he doesn't actually need me here today, there is nothing that he's not going to be able to handle without me, and I am actually pretty damned sure he is just doing this so he can leave a little early for his drive out to his vacation, which starts Monday.

My Dad and wife aren't happy about it either, as they are missing it too, just to wait for me. I hate to sound unappreciative of my boss, who I normally get along with great, but this really has me ticked off. Not like I'm going to have a whole bunch more first hunts.

Thoughts?

I mean besides quitting my whining.

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040178 11/20/15 01:49 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
You should have called in sick, went to the doc 1st thing this AM and got a doctor's note not to return to work until Monday, then bolted for deer camp.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040183 11/20/15 01:51 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Quit your job. No, I wouldn't do that. You just gotta stick it out and wait. Not much you can do about it. Have people that are waiting on you make sure everything is packed and ready to go

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040197 11/20/15 01:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Some people are Richards just cause they can excercise some control over others, it's delightful to them. These people typically have very little going on in their own lives.

My plan would be this: deal with it for now. Climb the ladder at your job and and get promoted over him. One day when he needs something remind him of this day and tell him no and laugh evilly

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040241 11/20/15 02:19 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Don't sweat it. Don't worry about the wind either.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040254 11/20/15 02:26 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
I'm doing my best to just get the hell over it, sometimes stuff happens, I know.

I think the lying to me about why is pissing me off the most. If he would just tell me it's because he doesn't want to try and deal with it solo, or he want to head out early, I'd still be upset, but not as mad as I currently am.

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040262 11/20/15 02:29 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I know but being upset about it won't change anything. Not sure where you'll be hunting but if it's anywhere out that way the wind blowing won't matter at all. I hunted the panhandle for a few years and wind never pinned the deer down. Especially around this time.

Last edited by 68A; 11/20/15 02:30 PM.
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040266 11/20/15 02:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Call in sick monday, he can start his vacation late peep

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040272 11/20/15 02:34 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Thanks 68. That's good to know. Ups my spirits a bit.

I think I'll quit moping at 5pm. wink

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040293 11/20/15 02:42 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Still waiting for my first weekend to get to hunt. Might be December before I have a chance to go. frown

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040325 11/20/15 03:00 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Bbear,

I hope you not only get to go, but may you have no obstacles on your way.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040360 11/20/15 03:21 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
1st of all - enjoy this weekend. Don't get caught up in the "kill" aspect of hunting. Take in the sounds of nature waking up.

Remember how much of a dick your boss was when you hear about another job opportunity.

JR

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040362 11/20/15 03:23 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I think you are going to like Sunday, same warm pattern today. Front comes in and the deer will know this is a serious one. Late Sunday morning and very early Sunday afternoon may be better than the 2 days prior.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040397 11/20/15 03:38 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Be a boss. Problem solved.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040421 11/20/15 03:46 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Let's say he is just doing this to be a prick.. The best way to get back at someone is to forget. Meaning, act like it's no big deal and go on and on about how your hunt was an blast. Let him see that no matter what he does he can't get under your skin, so forget HIM.

Now, get out when you can have a GREAT hunt enjoy every last second of it. Screw the wind, get out regardless because you just never know what's coming around or what time..

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040432 11/20/15 03:52 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
I'm getting out regardless, and I'm going to definitely enjoy every second of it.

I do love being out there regardless, and it's not all about the kill for me. I will admit though, with it being my first deer hunt, I would really like something to show for it.

Good to know Western.

I'm really hoping even with the front they are up and moving anyways. And I've got a bait that brought deer out in droves once during broad daylight last year in the summer heat (was trying a new pig bait I made), kind of hoping it works like the ace in the hole I want it to be.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040455 11/20/15 04:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I quit a job in the 80's over the exact same scenario over a pre-scheduled hunting trip(3 months ahead of time). Never looked back when I told him have my check ready at 7am in the morning while I walking to my vehicle. Now I hunt more today than back then. Life was much better with the new job anyways.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040558 11/20/15 04:47 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Don't worry. Deer take every Friday off anyways. You didn't miss anything.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040564 11/20/15 04:49 PM
T
TravisP Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Just make yourself start vomiting in the trash can.

Hunting in magnolia would be better in a gated community.
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040596 11/20/15 05:04 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Uh hmm aren't you suppose to be working right now? Put your phone down and pretend your working. Oh, excuse me the boss is walking this way! bolt

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040638 11/20/15 05:32 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
It's so busy today that I have time to do this on the computer.

Like I said, he didn't need me, he just wants to leave early, even though I planned this over a month ago.

No use getting more worked up than I have been. Just gonna make sure to plan a bunch of stuff around when I know he likes to take off way ahead of time.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040750 11/20/15 06:56 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
You know, just when I thought I was starting to cool off.

Mother [censored] just left even earlier than he was going to for some BS.

Now I might just not bother coming to work on Monday.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040926 11/20/15 08:58 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Did you talk to your boss about it? Did you let him know about these dates? Did you let him know about the plans and this is a pre planned event? I run a hotel, and if this was the case I would be understanding. But I cannot count how many times employees have gone off, and they never even let me know they had lans. If you do not let your boss know you have plans they will assume you don't. Looking at it from the other side, follow requests off policies for your job. Then FOLLOW up to make sure your boss approves it. IF it is approved then you are set to go. That is the other issue people never follow up with requests they put in. IT IS A REQUEST. It is your job to follow up if it gets approved or not. People always forget that part.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040947 11/20/15 09:12 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
JT,

Yes my boss knew. And yes it was followed up on.

He wanted to blow off early plain and simple, which always seems ok when he does it, but hell if I can ever do it (though I rarely try). There is a lot of crap involved in this place that I don't want to get into on here. But it does come down to plain and simple him wanting to get out early, and my plans be damned.

There are only he and I here, and everything is discussed, there is no paper requests, or putting the request in a system to be looked at and approved/denied. I also know him very well, and for a very long time. He decided at some point he wanted to do something, and he is one of those people that he can inconvenience someone else to get what he wants and it's fine, and they shouldn't have a problem with it, but he'll raise hell on highwater if someone does it to him, and it's never ok, no matter the circumstances. Not to mention if someone's actions cost him so much as a nickel, but who cares about the money he is costing someone else (like what he's costing me right now).

I probably wouldn't be anywhere near as ticked if he was straight forward with me, instead of the BS and sneaky crap he is pulling to do the crap he has done this week. I think I am even more ticked off that he would dare do it with me, and expect me to be just fine with it.

I just expected better of him (and maybe should've known better), and the more I really try to get to the root of why I am actually so mad about this, the more I realize it has more to do with how bad he has let me down, than just missing a day of hunting.

Re: First hunt. FML [Re: Nakraik] #6040964 11/20/15 09:28 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Looks like you need to start sending email requests and save them when he replied to them. If he goes back on it, bring it to his attention, and if a resolution is not made go above his head and copy his boss on the email stating why you will not be in for that day. Then have the email chain in the email where it was approved for you to be off. Then, if you ever get fried for it your unemployment claim will be secured.

Last edited by jtprocaddie; 11/20/15 09:29 PM.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide