Forum Stats
60439 Members
45 Forums
475815 Topics
6241986 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6037305 - 11/18/15 01:22 PM My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system.
jtprocaddie Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
AS we all know this is a hot topic, but I think most agree that the current AR is not the best program in place. I think I may have come up with a plan that could ensure the growth of quality bucks, and allow for non quality genes to be removed from the herds. This is especially tough to regulate on public land hunting due to the shoot anything legal ideals on public land.

So here is my proposal.

There should be one tag designated to an AR deer, just like red drum has a designated tag to one over size drum. But you cannot add another deer tag, as this would increase the number of deer killed per year, which could be bad for the population overall.

So to solve this one of the Buck tags should be switched to an AR only tag, this would allow more quality bucks to walk, and allow for 1 AR deer to come out.

If we want to help preserve the quality bucks even further another Buck tag could be switch to spike only, hence allowing a few more spikes to be culled out.

For the end result you would have

2 antlerless tags
1 Spike only tag
1 AR only tag
1 Buck/antlerless tag

This would allow for some less quality deer to be harvested each year, and then most people would save their buck tag for a really nice buck they are after. This would result in more opportunity for quality bucks to roam, and more hunters would be appt to let "legal" 4 points and up walk.

Thoughts?

#6037310 - 11/18/15 01:24 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
That makes no sense at all

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6037311 - 11/18/15 01:25 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

What can you shoot with the buck/antlerless tag

#6037315 - 11/18/15 01:26 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Are you saying make all AR counties be able to kill only one buck over 13 inches? but you still have a spike tag... and doe tags... and this mysterious buck/antlerless tag..

#6037316 - 11/18/15 01:26 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

I see what you saying, but the "less quality" deer are usually younger bucks or maybe even late bloomers that if you shoot this year as your "AR" buck...the next year or two they may have been good mature or on the way to mature bucks....I don't think it would be wise...personally we like the AR rule...it has benefited our area greatly..and others

#6037323 - 11/18/15 01:29 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

from how im reading it you actually allowed my county to take more deer than ARs already do

#6037324 - 11/18/15 01:30 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
jmh004 Offline
Bird Dog

I think shooting spikes, unless they are 2.5 or older of course, is a bad idea so I'm out. Look, I know the AR system isn't perfect, but I honestly don't think its that bad. Maybe it's not the job of the TPWD to ensure there are lots of big bucks to shoot. Maybe their job is to ensure there is enough game to be harvested.

Edited by jmh004 (11/18/15 01:32 PM)

#6037326 - 11/18/15 01:30 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Navasot

The AR tag would be for a non AR buck I apologize for the confusion. under 13" spread

the Buck / antlerless tag would be for a LEGAL AR buck that we have now which is above a 13" spread

#6037327 - 11/18/15 01:32 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot]
Tracker

from how im reading it you actually allowed my county to take more deer than ARs already do

There are 3 buck/antlerless tags and 2 doe tags on your licence right now.

My proposal is for the same number of deer

#6037328 - 11/18/15 01:33 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
The rule is fine, the only tweak that should be made is that if the deer is older, let's say 4.5 or better, then the ARs don't apply. That way the east TX basket racks can be killed but you still don't have ijits murdering every buck in sight. If you can't tell how old he is, then don't shoot. And up the fines-minimum game fine ought to be at least $1000.

#6037330 - 11/18/15 01:34 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jmh004]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: jmh004
I think shooting spikes, unless they are 2.5 or older of course, is a bad idea so I'm out. Look, I know the AR system isn't perfect, but I honestly don't think its that bad. Maybe it's not the job of the TPWD to ensure there are lots of big bucks to shoot. Maybe their job is to ensure there is enough game to be harvested.

You can shoot a young spike now. So there would be no change there, but only allowing one tag for it. This is in hopes that people pass the young deer and wait for the older spikes, which is what it is currently.

#6037335 - 11/18/15 01:37 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

The AR tag would be for a non AR buck I apologize for the confusion. under 13" spread

the Buck / antlerless tag would be for a LEGAL AR buck that we have now which is above a 13" spread

So I hunt in an AR county now. What you've proposed would allow me to shoot any buck that I see, since I have a GOOJF tag for a buck that doesn't meet ARs. How is that going to allow better bucks to produce/live? You just allowed me to shoot a 12" 2.5 yr old 10 pt that is currently protected.

#6037336 - 11/18/15 01:37 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

There are 3 buck/antlerless tags and 2 doe tags on your licence right now.

My proposal is for the same number of deer

Not all counties can use all those tags...

And I can only shoot doe during archery.

your putting a more complicated sheet in-between a simple blanket rule.

#6037337 - 11/18/15 01:37 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Why do some counties have AR and others don't? I previously hunted ET and can say for a fact that AR helped a ton. Now hunting Hardeman county and have only 1 buck tag with no AR's.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6037338 - 11/18/15 01:39 PM Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jtprocaddie]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

and with the diversity of hunters out there in knowledge/experience it has to be a simple blanket rule...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide