Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Inks Lake SP #6033008 11/16/15 09:31 PM
firemedic142 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I was drawn this year to hunt anterless at Inks Lake. This is the first year I have done a public hunt. I was wondering if anyone has hunted this area this year and how the results were. I was also wondering if you could give me some insights to the hunt and some pointers. Any information you could provide would be appreciated. My hunt is scheduled for January.

Last edited by firemedic142; 11/16/15 09:32 PM. Reason: grammer
Re: Inks Lake SP [Re: firemedic142] #6034509 11/17/15 03:15 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
FM 142...Haven't hunted this SP before, but I suspect it'll be similar to Guad River SP's as they are both high traffic day use tourist/camper destinations. Guad River & Honey Creek are just south as the crow flies of Inks and I've been at GRSP several times.

If possible do a walk thru the day before checkin - even if the Blind Setup areas are in Off Limits areas - to get a feel for the topography and landmarks, as the Park will be Open for Business as usual. Be early to checkin, blinds assigned by checkin arrival most times. Blinds will usually have fairly short shooting lanes of 80-100 yards long.

Garner SP had staked out shooting lanes marked with staked ribbons & blinds setup in the permanent camping areas - felt real strange to be hunting out of a popup next to the brick wash house and having to be concerned with not hitting one of the RV hookup water and power posts, or picnic tables and steel swing sets with a bullet, and a stringent Rule about not picking up any animal you'd shot until they came to pick you up....and I could see this being possible at Inks in the high use areas closer to the lake area.

Guad River has more "traditional" ground to hunt with the blinds buried up in the "natural" areas between the hiking trails most places, as does Inks as I remember ... this is typical Central Hill Country ground and small sized WTails w/ 80-100 lb Does ... but the guys that hunted the Guad River campgrounds got lots more critters as the deer were used to be hand fed by the campers despite the Regs against it...deer LOVE human food and fruit flavored candy...and there is a 3 Deer Bag Limit this year at Inks so the Bio Guys are probably wanting to harvest as many as possible. Doubt you'll see any hogs or Exotics, but Staff will want you to shoot any & ALL non native critters possible regardless of size or sex. Staff at Inks has a good reputation from what I hear, and I'd be hoping to get back off the Lake area & up around the Caverns.

I was also drawn for a mid January GDA at Inks, and I always try and talk to a Bio guy or Hunt Mgr couple weeks before the Hunt to get any current info I can get from the Staff, and their Special Rules, harvest so far on the previous Hunts & expectations on that particular Hunt.

Right now, just dunno for dead solid and certain if I'll be able to make the Hunt with everything going on at home, but am planning on staying in Burnet right now.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Inks Lake SP [Re: firemedic142] #6035355 11/17/15 09:32 PM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Hunted there last year. It is somewhat different than a lot of the hunts in that they take you to your blind and pick you up. I hunted a couple of different blinds (trying for change of luck). One offered shots to 200 or so yards, the other didn't offer anything over 100 if that. Saw deer at both, but was unable to get a doe to show (antlerless hunt). chris, the hunt manager does a good job and tries to get everrybody opportunities. His whole staff (several of which are volunteers) work hard as well.

Last year, they started experimenting with putting feeders at a few of the blind sites. Dont know if that will continue or not, but they sell corn to put out - recommended, and the funds go to help with their hunt ptogram.

They have cabins for rent, or you can camp in the park if you want. It is relatively close to Burnet or Mrble Falls if you prefer a motel.

Your sucess will partially depend onwhich hunt you were drawn for. I was in the next to last hunt last year, and it got cold and somewhat nasty for it and the last hunt. Success was near 100% for the previous hunts. It ran about 50% on the last two.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a pm.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide