Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6038552 11/19/15 02:54 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I know that you deer hunters sit in a blind alone, but how many of you go hunting alone? I hunted quail alone at times over the years but no longer do. How about you?

I don't go out my way to hunt alone but it is not uncommon, both birds and deer. Trying to coordinate my schedule with others can be a real circle jerk sometimes, it adds stress to something that is supposed to be enjoyable.

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6038846 11/19/15 05:12 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I get a little lonely if I'm the only person at camp. I don't mind being alone in the deer blind though. I just like to know that there will be friends at camp when I get back from the blind. On the other hand, I absolutely love fishing on the boat by myself. I concentrate a lot better, and I seem to catch a lot more.

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6038923 11/19/15 06:00 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't hunt, fish, or play golf alone if I can help it. Everything is much more fun with a few buddies.

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6038954 11/19/15 06:22 PM
S
StephensCnty308 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I am a Bow hunter so I am used to sitting in a tree stand and watching nature wake up and do its thing.
I purchased my own property this summer and have hunted in mnultiple tree stands over the last few weeks however this weekend its going to change.
My father in law loves hunting but hasnt had a place to go in maybe 10 years. This weekend we both are going out and hunting inside the box blind thats on my property. I'm sure i will learn a lot about rifle hunting and etc.

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6039663 11/20/15 01:27 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I hate doing things alone, from eating lunch to driving around. With that said, it has become to difficult to coordinate with other two guys on my lease. Therefore, I am forced to go alone, but am getting more used to it......

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6039782 11/20/15 02:26 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I really don't like hunting our place alone. I'll sit there and second guess myself the entire time about whether or not I picked the right stand. If I know my wife is on another stand watching what all comes out I usually feel better about things...at least I get a scouting report.

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6040213 11/20/15 02:06 PM
B
BrazosHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
When I was young, dumb and very serious about hunting I learned the most about the game I was after by hunting solo. However in those early years I hunted close to home, I did not make solo hunting trips to far away places or for long periods of time. Now I need the time alone to hash out the issues of the day so hunting or fishing solo has taken on a different meaning and purpose.. All of that said the times at our U.P. Michigan deer camp with family and friends are what I cherish most..

Re: Hunting alone [Re: bill oxner] #6040754 11/20/15 07:00 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I enjoy hunting with others, but I do hunt alone much more often. I think a balance of both is healthy for most people. Traveling by myself I usually do at least one long ten day to three week hunting road trip with the dog every season. I do often meet up with others to hunt with along the way, but mostly alone. It is one of the most stress releasing things I have ever done. I was alone when I contracted my necrotising fasciitis flesh eating disease at the hunting lease 3 years ago. Because of a thunderstorm, a stuck truck, being far from camp, with a puppy in tow, the pain, and poor phone service, it was a difficult ordeal physically getting back to camp, getting a call out, dealing with the pain, and getting to a hospital back in Dallas. I'm a 31 year firefighter/emt and though I did not know what was wrong with me, I had a feeling of impending doom and knew I was in a bad situation. My wife suggested I spend the night and wait out the storm for her to come get me. I refused that idea. When I arrived at the hospital I was already sepsis with 4 kinds of bacteria in my bloodstream, going into septic shock and mentally lost the 4 hours before surgery. I was told later that if it had been three more hours before surgery I would have lost my leg. If I spent the night at camp they said my wife would have found me dead the next day, if found alive and survived I would have immediately lost my leg and over several months had other parts cut off me until I hope died. Being out there alone, if I had been unable to get a phone call out or been on one of my road trips in a remote area as I often am, I would not survived this. Do I still hunt alone? Yes. Do I still do road trips? Yes. But what I have changed is I look at situations I come up on with more of a risk/benefit analogy than I did before. For example where I once climbed down a cliff in Colorado to save an hour hike, I would take the hike now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide