Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,502
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: soonersorlaters] #6032006 11/16/15 02:04 PM
F
Fat Tire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
Originally Posted By: Fat Tire
Sounds like a lot of folks don't gut their own deer. The processor I took my deer to in Strawn last night said he gets about 300 deer a year brought in that haven't been gutted. I was surprised to hear that. He said that he charges an extra $25 to do it. Admittedly, there's been a couple of evenings that I would rather have had someone else do it for me, but I would be embarrassed to take in a deer that wasn't gutted.

TD's in Strawn?

Yes.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032062 11/16/15 02:30 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I don't gut them anymore. I just skin and quarter them up.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032145 11/16/15 03:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I quit gutting deer about 10 years ago after I found out how easy it was to skin them with my truck then quarter them out. This past weekend I field dressed one though. Personal best and it will be a mounted so I got him to the processor.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032660 11/16/15 06:43 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I never field dress deer. Since I always quarter in camp right after shooting there is no need. I hang them by the hind legs skin and drop the guts in a bucket. I would not even do that but brother (lease manager) likes to record dressed weight. Now we have axis deer and a large one can be a real struggle to load in a truck by yourself so I might have to field dress one. I shot the queen of the herd 2 years ago and had to back the truck in to a low spot to get her loaded.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032692 11/16/15 07:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I didn't even gut my elk this year

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032696 11/16/15 07:01 PM
S
Steven Bates Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
we process ours ourselves and usually hunt fairly close to my dad's where the skinning and cleaning takes place so we don't gut them in the woods. I'm 40 and I have never gutted a deer in the woods.

Bass Cat Boats..... "FEEL THE RUSH"
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6032729 11/16/15 07:14 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I take mine to Kuby's and Fischers. Both will not accept a non-gutted deer. They have signs saying it as well.

Now years ago Fischers used to based on their website pricing. I was in a very big hurry once to swap kid duties with the wife so I threw the deer in the truck and called Fischers to pre-place my order and I asked about gutting when they told me stopped taking them. I went ahead and did it in my backyard in Dallas and then took to Kubys. I told my boy not to tell mom. grin

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6033088 11/16/15 10:01 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Here is my take - there is nothing wrong with NOT gutting a deer if all you are going to do is make sausage out of the whole thing.

Myself, I like the taste of well prepared venison, so when I or my boys kill a deer, we get the backstrap whole, both front shoulder roasts, both rear quarter roasts, and the tenderloins. Those are grilled, smoked, or crock potted depending on the cut.

The rib meat and neck is what we use for sausage. I just don't care to turn a whole deer into sausage. I like sausage, but not hundreds of pounds a year of it.

Now, if you eat the deer like my family does, bleeding and gutting QUICKLY is very important. My boys and I bow hunt, and if we are lucky and get a deer to go down quickly (without having to wait an hour+ to go track it) we will gut and bleed it (jugglar vein) as quick as we possibly can. If it is a buck to be shoulder mounted, we do not cut the juggler vein, but still gut it asap IN THE FIELD.

Think about this - when a cow is butchered, it is stunned, immediately hung upside down and it's throat cut so that the still beating heart can help bleed it as quickly as possible. Then the cow is cut open and gutted asap.

You just do not want blood to coagulate in meat (any meat) for any longer than you have to. Again, if you are going to "sausage" the whole darn deer I guess it does not matter - you can't tell what you are eating anyway. For any of you that have not tried grilling or slow cooking your venison, you ought to try it. It really is a delicious type of red meat.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6033168 11/16/15 10:46 PM
D
D-Box Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I'm a relatively new hunter and have so far killed only one deer, a doe with a crossbow last month, and 4 hogs. I've gotten tips from hunter buddies and watched tons of YouTube videos, and at this point there I two things I just don't get:

- Gutting a deer or hog
- Taking a deer to a processor

I just don't see the point in gutting a deer or hog since it's so quick to skin and quarter them while hanging at the camp. With hogs I'm able to reach around the gut bag and pull out the tenderloins. Once you've quartered the deer or hog, it's not that much more work to finish processing the meat at home. Grinding is easy, smoking hog hams is easy, shoulders in the crock pot is easy. I can't see paying 75-100 for processing. I haven't really mastered smoking sausage yet, but working on it.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037364 11/18/15 07:51 PM
V
vonfilm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
Hang, skin,remove head, neck meat, front quarters, backstraps, tenderloins,sever spine in front of hindquarters, seperate hindquarters from pelvic bone. Never need to gut. Check out "Gutless Method" on Youtube.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: millerliteliker] #6037373 11/18/15 07:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
Here is my take - there is nothing wrong with NOT gutting a deer if all you are going to do is make sausage out of the whole thing.

Myself, I like the taste of well prepared venison, so when I or my boys kill a deer, we get the backstrap whole, both front shoulder roasts, both rear quarter roasts, and the tenderloins. Those are grilled, smoked, or crock potted depending on the cut.

The rib meat and neck is what we use for sausage. I just don't care to turn a whole deer into sausage. I like sausage, but not hundreds of pounds a year of it.

Now, if you eat the deer like my family does, bleeding and gutting QUICKLY is very important. My boys and I bow hunt, and if we are lucky and get a deer to go down quickly (without having to wait an hour+ to go track it) we will gut and bleed it (jugglar vein) as quick as we possibly can. If it is a buck to be shoulder mounted, we do not cut the juggler vein, but still gut it asap IN THE FIELD.

Think about this - when a cow is butchered, it is stunned, immediately hung upside down and it's throat cut so that the still beating heart can help bleed it as quickly as possible. Then the cow is cut open and gutted asap.

You just do not want blood to coagulate in meat (any meat) for any longer than you have to. Again, if you are going to "sausage" the whole darn deer I guess it does not matter - you can't tell what you are eating anyway. For any of you that have not tried grilling or slow cooking your venison, you ought to try it. It really is a delicious type of red meat.

I slow cook and grill ALL of my venison.. and still don't gut or bleed out the deer

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037377 11/18/15 07:57 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I was talking to my Maj at work about this. He said the place down by him gets $50 for gutting. He offered to come in and gut every deer they had for half and then the company could keep the other half for doing nothing, but they weren't having it..lol

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037467 11/18/15 09:05 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Most of the time I Skin and quarter the deer without gutting. There have been a few times when I gutted in the field to reduce weight so I could load the animal. If I took a deer or hog to a processor it would be gutted early after the kill.
For those who say they debone while the deer is hanging, how do you explain that to the GW assuming you are not at the final destination?

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Navasot] #6037499 11/18/15 09:27 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker

I slow cook and grill ALL of my venison.. and still don't gut or bleed out the deer

Not saying you HAVE to gut your deer if you eat the venison, but all I am saying is that I know of no other domesticated animal (hogs or steers for example) that are NOT bled and gutted immediately after they are killed. It is just a known fact that you should drain and remove as much blood as possible from an animal as soon as possible after it is harvested.

I used to do the "gutless" method too but I went back to field dressing - I could definitely tell the difference in taste in the meat. I can even tell the difference on an animal that we took a little longer to recover.

But if your family likes the taste the way you do it then keep on. No big deal - I was just pointing out why I do gut and do it quickly.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Wilhunt] #6037512 11/18/15 09:34 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Most of the time I Skin and quarter the deer without gutting. There have been a few times when I gutted in the field to reduce weight so I could load the animal. If I took a deer or hog to a processor it would be gutted early after the kill.
For those who say they debone while the deer is hanging, how do you explain that to the GW assuming you are not at the final destination?

How do you explain what to the GW?

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: BigPig] #6037524 11/18/15 09:45 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: BigPig

Not sure why you would debone if your not at the final destination.. now for the hams I do take it off the pelvis but its still in a quarter... dosnt have to have the pelvis to be quartered...

but if you do want to do the whole thing fill out a WRD

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037525 11/18/15 09:46 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
90% of the time I take the shoulders, neck meat, backstrap, and hind quarters. I never bother with the tenderloins or ribs confused2

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037527 11/18/15 09:47 PM
B
Bigbullett Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
There are pros and cons to not gutting your deer. I have shot, killed, gutted, and processed many deer throughout my lifetime. However, I now shoot a deer and/or hog and just load it in my truck and take it to my "very trusted" processor who I have used for many years. I gladly pay them $35 extra for a gut charge. I am fortunate that the time from trigger pulled to deer or hog to processor is under 1 hour from both of my properties that I own and hunt. The animals are always processed per my requirements.

Deer or hog is killed clean with one shot, hogs shot behind the ear and deer either shoulder shot or neck shot. Most all just drop where they stand. I won't take a shot unless I feel it will be a clean kill. I can always come back another time.

I have been with people who gut shoot animals, track them half a day, shoot them some more, then gut them and process them. Surprisingly, their deer tastes "gamey". Mine never has tasted bad.

While I may not be "macho" anymore because I don't gut my animals, I can still do it if I have to. I also don't wash my own truck or polish my own boots and shoes anymore, I pay people to do that. Thank goodness I can afford to do it. The people who do these services always seam glad to get the cash and have never complained about having to perform their service.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: titan2232] #6037528 11/18/15 09:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: titan2232
90% of the time I take the shoulders, neck meat, backstrap, and hind quarters. I never bother with the tenderloins or ribs confused2

I cant leave the sweet meats behind they to tastey and easy to get... ribs are worthless

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: BigPig] #6037544 11/18/15 10:05 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You are not supposed to go any further than quartering, unless you are at the final destination of the deer. If at the lease one should not debone.
Page 62 of the Outdoor Annual.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Navasot] #6037648 11/18/15 11:19 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Not sure why you would debone if your not at the final destination.. now for the hams I do take it off the pelvis but its still in a quarter... dosnt have to have the pelvis to be quartered...

I misread his question.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: TravisP] #6037858 11/19/15 12:56 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Why would guts that aren't touching the meat have anything to do with taste?
Originally Posted By: TravisP
That's freaking nasty. Longer those guts stay in the worst the meat taste. I wouldn't be bringing my deer to a processor that accepts deer that haven't been gutted unless I was for sure he cleaned his machines and processed my meat with MY DEER. I had mine done at Hildebrandt. It was the worst sausage of my life. So now I spend the extra money at Ainsworth off 1488/2978. Best jalapeņo cheddar sausage around. I also don't gut my deer, but I skin it and cut the meat off the bone within a hour of it hitting the ground.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: scalebuster] #6037871 11/19/15 01:02 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: Captain Luke

This was after I gutted a deer on the ground. I was by myself, so I had to lift it by myself and put it in my truck. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Why didn't you dump all of the blood out of it before throwing it in your truck? That way you wouldn't have such a mess.

That's not a mess, it's a beautiful picture

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Fat Tire] #6037942 11/19/15 01:41 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
Sounds like a lot of folks don't gut their own deer. The processor I took my deer to in Strawn last night said he gets about 300 deer a year brought in that haven't been gutted. I was surprised to hear that. He said that he charges an extra $25 to do it. Admittedly, there's been a couple of evenings that I would rather have had someone else do it for me, but I would be embarrassed to take in a deer that wasn't gutted.

TD's in Strawn?

Yes.

Let me know how it goes.

Re: People that don't gut their deer [Re: Navasot] #6037985 11/19/15 02:07 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

up

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide