Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" #6027217 11/13/15 02:43 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
It's obvious that I hunt 90% private, but I do have buddies that cannot afford to hunt where I do and hunt public. I enjoy their company and go out with them from time to time.

I remember as a kid waiting at the launch with my dad and grandpa for everyone to show up. People used to talk about where they were going, how they did the day before in location A, and where they were eating breakfast afterwards. All this was done over a thermos cup of coffee before we went on our way. I understand that there are a lot of hunters that weren't raised as traditional waterfowlers, but there is still enough of us out there to steer them in the right direction.

Stop making everyday a boat race. Slow down and enjoy this sport for more than a nice strap. There's more too it. The more we complain about "Barnie," the worse this sport is going to get. If you primarily hunt certain lake A, you could get to know the majority of the hunters if you really wanted too. Work it out, make it more enjoyable and make it a team effort.

I hunt a WMA called Otter Slough in SE Missouri from time to time. I go alone and get myself into a group of 5 or 6 every time I go. The comradery in those parts are out of this world as duck hunting is a way of life, not the next photo op.

It is just sad to hear about the entitlement of a certain spot. If you don't get it today, build and show some respect, get to know someone, and get it tomorrow.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027235 11/13/15 02:49 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Cast approves of this message.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027294 11/13/15 03:07 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I went to a state last year with a group of guys on this forum. Our trip was targeting Canada geese. I loved the trip as I got to see a part of the world completely different than mine. On a particular moment, I felt as if we traveled back 40 years. While seated in a restaurant an elderly couple approached and asked if that was our rig parked out back with all the goose decoys. They just pulled up a chair and acted as if we were long lost friends. By the time that little visit was over, the man said he owned a piece of property and described an easy way to find it. He said if there are geese there, go and hunt them. Now I knocked a bunch of doors in my lifetime but never did a complete stranger offer me to come kill his geese. I really like that part of the country. Everybody there was nice like that couple.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027310 11/13/15 03:13 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
In illinois where i go next week, all public hunters meet and greet at the boatramp with some coffee and donuts prior to the hunt. They all know each other and respect each orher. Much more enjoyable. Overhere you have to deal with some yahoos and skybustas. But of course there you deal with small town mid west good old boys.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027313 11/13/15 03:14 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Know exactly what you are talking about.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: beaversnipe] #6027316 11/13/15 03:15 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
In illinois where i go next week, all public hunters meet and greet at the boatramp with some coffee and donuts prior to the hunt. They all know each other and respect each orher. Much more enjoyable. Overhere you have to deal with some yahoos and skybustas. But of course there you deal with small town mid west good old boys.

We all gotta help fix it. They probably don't know any better, were never taught, and think they are right. Invite some of em out and show em the ropes.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027323 11/13/15 03:19 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
For that very reason, we work with TPWD and take under privileged kids hunting every year to get them exposed to the outdoors because daddy is no longer in the picture. Most of the kids we take out are found through churches and foster families. Creek2Creek gives 5 kids a year their first deer and about 20 kids a year their first duck. Take out a newby when you see him doing wrong. They may not thank ya, but trust me, they thank ya!

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027331 11/13/15 03:22 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
There seems to be an attitude in a portion of the public duck hunting population that anyone who got in to the hobby in the last 5 years did it because they saw it on Duck Dynasty and are a bunch of yahoos. Sad to see that when most of the hunting community and outdoorsman in general usually accept newbies with open arms.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Exbellicus] #6027337 11/13/15 03:25 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
There seems to be an attitude in a portion of the public duck hunting population that anyone who got in to the hobby in the last 5 years did it because they saw it on Duck Dynasty and are a bunch of yahoos. Sad to see that when most of the hunting community and outdoorsman in general usually accept newbies with open arms.

You don't accept newbies? Or am I reading this wrong?

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027343 11/13/15 03:27 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't like enough people I don't guess. I know lots of guys that hunt that aren't really friends but acquaintances. I never offer to take them and when they find out I've been hunting without them they get upset. Funny really, in the world of social media if I go hunting without you, I meant to.

I hunt with very few friends, my kids, and wife. I like it that way. I will go home before I hunt with 6 strangers.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027363 11/13/15 03:37 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
State namer!....just kidding

It is a vicious cycle no doubt

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027372 11/13/15 03:40 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Saying it's sad that some people don't want new people to join the hobby.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Exbellicus] #6027378 11/13/15 03:45 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek

Saying it's sad that some people don't want new people to join the hobby.

Gotcha...

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: ndhunter] #6027387 11/13/15 03:48 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
State namer!....just kidding

It is a vicious cycle no doubt

lol... Trust me, in the Missouri Bootheel, we couldn't get enough hunters up there to matter. I'm an Arkansas Timber guy through and through, but the Bootheel is just as good! Super glad my in laws live there!

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027400 11/13/15 03:53 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very nice thread OP.

I've noticed Texas does not have a generally friendly or welcoming hunting community nowadays.

To be determined
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027414 11/13/15 03:58 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Last time I talked to someone at the launch he was a complete JA. I've avoided it since then.

"Hey bud haven't hunted out here this year the mouth of ____ creek being hunted heavy"

"If you think you can beat me to ____ in that rig your nuts"

So I shut up knowing I could, he kept talking

He eventually figured out he did not know where that particular creek was and he was hunting the main creek.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027417 11/13/15 03:59 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've hunted several times with guys I met at the ramp and walk in gate, I like knowing people that hunt the same lake as I do, making new hunting friends leads to invites other places, and I get scouting reports when I can't make it out myself. I've also met guys that had never duck hunted before, it helps everyone by letting them tag along with you. Not everyone had someone to teach them the rights and wrongs of duck hunting, each new person you teach is one less sky buster or barnie that you'll have to worry about later.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Erichugh22] #6027442 11/13/15 04:11 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I've hunted several times with guys I met at the ramp and walk in gate, I like knowing people that hunt the same lake as I do, making new hunting friends leads to invites other places, and I get scouting reports when I can't make it out myself. I've also met guys that had never duck hunted before, it helps everyone by letting them tag along with you. Not everyone had someone to teach them the rights and wrongs of duck hunting, each new person you teach is one less sky buster or barnie that you'll have to worry about later.

Exactly... Hunting the way I was raised has landed me over 8000 acres of prime hunting grounds. Hunting the wrong way with a poor attitude will get you stuck in the same way time and time again.

This is [u][/u][i][/i]Insanity:
----Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.....Einstein

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027446 11/13/15 04:13 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I'd compare it to my job. I'm a teacher and a coach. I was an athlete growing up. When I was their age, I wouldn't dream of talking back, or thinking of the coach as my buddy, and we busted our a$$es every day to earn a spot on the team. We understood that sometimes you work really hard for something and still don't get what you want, and that's life. Kids don't understand that today, they feel entitled to everything. That's probably the most frustrating part of my job but I've learned to accept that fact and work with it. It's super frustrating at times, but if you're patient with them, they will get the message in the long run. I think the new guys coming into the sport these days have much the same attitude, and If the older more experienced generation is willing to put feelings aside and invest some time and effort into the younger crowd, they'll get the big picture eventually.

violin

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: 8pointdrop] #6027448 11/13/15 04:15 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I don't like enough people I don't guess. I know lots of guys that hunt that aren't really friends but acquaintances. I never offer to take them and when they find out I've been hunting without them they get upset. Funny really, in the world of social media if I go hunting without you, I meant to.

I hunt with very few friends, my kids, and wife. I like it that way. I will go home before I hunt with 6 strangers.

Same

#sigline
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027452 11/13/15 04:15 PM
J
J Loves Huntin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
awesome post! Have been honored to teach about 5 younger teens how to hunt, wildlife appreciation and gun safety! Lots of amazing people on this forum who are continuing the tradition! Teach, correct and enjoy the fun for a lifetime!

If you look back over your life are you fully satisfied you pleased the Maker of Creation. Are you fully assured that you have trusted in His Son, Jesus Christ, for your salvation. Are you confident that you have a definite hope of going to Heaven?

EMT-B
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027585 11/13/15 05:36 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Seems everyone these days are so far up their own butt.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Fooshman] #6027624 11/13/15 05:56 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

clap

peep

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Fooshman] #6027640 11/13/15 06:06 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Just like DuckCoach said. There is a sense of entitlement that everyone seems to have nowadays. Everyone is entitled to the best spots and entitled to go to their grave with their knowledge of waterfowling.

Seems kind of pointless to me

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027659 11/13/15 06:14 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Long story short, I grew up in N TX, lived on the East Coast for 8 years after college, and returned home last year. What I see in the complaints about jerks and idiots on public land in this area can also be seen on the highways. The Metroplex (and the rest of the state, really) have seen a population boom. Just as there's not enough pavement on the roads, there's not enough hunting land to go around. It makes people impatient, selfish, and downright mean. And the problem is only going to get worse. I'm afraid for the future of hunting because of this. Before we know it the state will impose tougher limitations on public areas and land/lease prices will continue to escalate towards unaffordable levels for the vast majority of people. At a certain point, fewer and fewer folks - and more importantly, our kids - will be able to enjoy hunting.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide