Forum Stats
60466 Members
45 Forums
476073 Topics
6245103 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6027168 - 11/13/15 08:21 AM Do you ????
High Country Archer Offline
Tracker

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Process your own deer or take it to a Processor?

For those that do, is it a matter of convenience or lack of knowledge on how to process wild game?

For you that process your own, is it a matter of cost, trust or self satisfaction?

Do you use a Processer?
Multiple choices allowed

Votes accepted starting: 11/13/15 08:03 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#6027177 - 11/13/15 08:24 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
jmh004 Offline
Bird Dog

I process my own for all three of the reasons listed above. We have always worked up our own deer. I guess I just don't know any better.

#6027181 - 11/13/15 08:26 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
Bbear Online   content
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
What jmh004 said.

Plus, I can 'customize' the mix on the burger or sausage.

The only time I use a processor is for smoked sausage and even then I'll bring my own grind in to him to smoke.

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance

#6027184 - 11/13/15 08:28 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
I read it wrong... I do my own processing

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6027190 - 11/13/15 08:31 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
ZK-315 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Temple...Hunt in Freestone Co.
I take mine to the processer. When I was a kid, I would sit around and watch my dad and grandfather process our meat, but it just got too easy to drop them off at the processer. For the price of getting one processed back then, it was a no-brainer.

Now days, I guess its just a convenience being able to drop a gutted deer off to have someone else process and make some awesome jalapeno & cheese smoked sausage up

#6027193 - 11/13/15 08:32 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
Tracker

I really enjoy processing my own wild game. I like that I can control how my meat is aged and cut and how it was handled all the way to the kitchen table.

Here is a doe that I shot last Friday that has been in a cooler under ice since Friday night.

Ready for the freezer.

I save a lot of money by doing it myself which is a huge plus as well.

Sure glad I was a butcher as my after school job during my high school years which helps a bunch. I could also tell a few horror stories of how some of the game was treated and still passed off to the customers.

#6027207 - 11/13/15 08:39 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
We process our own.

For me its a little bit of a lot of things. Its convenient for use we have the tools, know how, and time. It is a tradition, my family has done it for generations and I have done it with my grandparents, parents, brother and will continue with my son. I could afford to take it to a processor, but im a tight square headed sob so a penny saved is a penny earned. Ive eaten stuff that other people have had processed and it was good, but I like knowing that my cleanly killed gutted and iced deer isn't getting mixed in with so and so's gut shot let sit over night in 70 degree weather didn't gut till after breakfast and didn't ice because its only 2 hours to the processor deer.

#6027228 - 11/13/15 08:47 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: redchevy]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I like knowing that my cleanly killed gutted and iced deer isn't getting mixed in with so and so's gut shot let sit over night in 70 degree weather didn't gut till after breakfast and didn't ice because its only 2 hours to the processor deer.

That is very true and I have seen it many times.

#6027282 - 11/13/15 09:03 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have used a processor and processed my own. I choose my processor by looking at the facility and how clean it is.

#6027346 - 11/13/15 09:28 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
LumberKat Offline
Light Foot

I process my own. I started doing because I wanted to save some money. I have learned to really enjoy it. I like knowing that I have control over how my meat is handled and after some trial and error I have learned to make sausage and jerky just the way I like it. I've even built a little smokehouse.

Edited by LumberKat (11/13/15 09:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#6027375 - 11/13/15 09:42 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, Tx
I used to process all of my own meat, make sausage, (Link & Breakfast) smoke it in the smoke house, the whole 9 yards, still have all of the equipment. Several years ago one of my real goods friends opened his own processing facility, so i take all of my stuff to him now, it is much easier for me, due to i work offshore, and am only home 14 days a month. So if you factor in the time it takes to hunt, take care of honey do's, bleed out your deer, and normal life duty's, it doesn't leave much room to process your deer.

#6027376 - 11/13/15 09:44 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
bull279 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I voted no, but there are certain things that I won't do. I prefer professionally made summer sausage compared to the sausage that I make. I will process the rest of the animal (deer or hog). If I want a specialty product, then I will take it to a processor.

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003

#6027381 - 11/13/15 09:46 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: redchevy]
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, Tx
Originally Posted By: redchevy
We process our own.

For me its a little bit of a lot of things. Its convenient for use we have the tools, know how, and time. It is a tradition, my family has done it for generations and I have done it with my grandparents, parents, brother and will continue with my son. I could afford to take it to a processor, but im a tight square headed sob so a penny saved is a penny earned. Ive eaten stuff that other people have had processed and it was good, but I like knowing that my cleanly killed gutted and iced deer isn't getting mixed in with so and so's gut shot let sit over night in 70 degree weather didn't gut till after breakfast and didn't ice because its only 2 hours to the processor deer.

And this happens way more than you think. The whole reason my buddy opened his own place, oh the story's he could tell you about the deer he has seen brought to other places he worked.

#6027388 - 11/13/15 09:49 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: stxranchman]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have used a processor and processed my own. I choose my processor by looking at the facility and how clean it is.

Still be careful. I worked at a local meat market that sold meat and groceries and was kept very clean because we would get inspected randomly throughout the month. We had another cooler (and a check in area) that held the wild game in the back and the inspector would never check it because they knew it was for wild game. It was clean as well. We could not process wild game until the 'store' was closed down. Then the horror would start on more than a few occasions (a lot of times it involved some drinking). If we cut up 40 deer that night, all the grind would be ground at the same time. Many times that would include some questionable meat from some animal that wasn't taken care of it the field as well as it should have been. As the night went on, a lot more hair and blood shot meat would make it into the grind because cutters were tired and sometimes slightly buzzed. It wasn't malicious intent but would happen. Kinda like the third or 32nd deer of the 40 that might have some bone sour going on but still was put through the saw and you could smell the difference on the next four or five deer after. Some deer may have been hanging for two weeks and some may have only aged for an hour based on how busy or slow we were. And I don't blame the guys because it was a business and sometimes 's--t happens'. It wasn't right but I have seen it first hand at many processors and this was better than most facilities I had worked/been in.

My worst experience was when I shot a buck on the first day of a week long bowhunt and it was in the 90's. I took it to the local processor and after inspecting it myself (much like you do), I decided that it was my best option. When I went to pick up that deer after a couple of weeks, I was sickened by the cutting room and the foul smell that was coming from it. They loaded my and 5 or 6 other guys meat all the while the deer that the guy had been skinning was sitting in the direct sunlight with flies swarming all over the meat for better than an hour (he was having a hard time finding the boxes in the freezer). I got home and thawed out one steak and it was already nearly rancid from the bone dust. I took it back to him and after a come to Jesus meeting and him realizing I knew what I was talking about. He gave me my money back and some deer meat to make up for my lost deer.

That is when I decided to always do my own processing.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you are not there while they are cutting your deer, you never really know what has been done to your deer. Also keep in mind that it may be a week or so until they get to your deer and a lot of things can change during that time.

#6027390 - 11/13/15 09:50 AM Re: Do you ???? [Re: High Country Archer]
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hutto, TX (Williamson Co)
I process my own. I like making my own summer sausage, smoked sausage, and jerky. I grind, then freeze, thawing enough for 10-20 pound batches of sausage or jerky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide