Print Thread
Labs #6026973 11/13/15 12:34 PM
R
Ringman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Anyone have experience with pointing labs?
I've got a couple of GSPs. One really good. The other young and lacks experience but shows signs of being a good pointer.
Thinking about getting a lab to round out the group.
Been looking online at pointing labs, but have no experience.
Duck hunted over a lot of labs, but not upland.
Let me know your experience and if you know of kennels/trainers.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6027440 11/13/15 04:11 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I've got a lab that upland hunts but doesn't point. I love hunting my lab behind a pointer and using her as a flushing dog/retriever. When there are no pointers around, she's trained to quarter close and flush. Pretty versatile dog in my opinion. Trained at T&T Kennels in Christoval, TX. Purchased at Bear Paw Labradors in Ennis, TX.

Re: Labs [Re: TX TCAT] #6027543 11/13/15 05:08 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
I've got a lab that upland hunts but doesn't point. I love hunting my lab behind a pointer and using her as a flushing dog/retriever. When there are no pointers around, she's trained to quarter close and flush. Pretty versatile dog in my opinion. Trained at T&T Kennels in Christoval, TX. Purchased at Bear Paw Labradors in Ennis, TX.

Bear Paw has excellent dogs!

Re: Labs [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027587 11/13/15 05:36 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT

Bear Paw has excellent dogs!

I couldn't agree more! Susan does and excellent job of breeding for both conformation and field.

Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6030220 11/15/15 02:02 PM
B
beatarmy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
A buddy has a pointing lab. Pretty sure she's never pointed anything. Doesn't exhibit any of the birdy traits you see in a pointing breed.

Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6030286 11/15/15 02:50 PM
R
Ringman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
It's not that I need a pointing lab. Just one that stays close, knows how to back a point, and doesn't flush if it picks up a scent - oh ya, and retrieves. Both GSPs are good pointers and hold well, neither show a desire to retrieve. One goes to the a downed bird every once in a while. The other picks up birds but only brings them back about 1/2 way - and does not have a soft mouth. Both are to old to go through force fetch. Just looking for some references on lab kennels/trainers to get one lined up for next year - hopefully.

Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6030289 11/15/15 02:55 PM
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
This is the 3rd year for Zeva my 3 1/2 old lab to go to SD and this year she pointed 3 to 4 times

Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6031196 11/16/15 12:46 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Ringman
It's not that I need a pointing lab. Just one that stays close, knows how to back a point, and doesn't flush if it picks up a scent - oh ya, and retrieves. Both GSPs are good pointers and hold well, neither show a desire to retrieve. One goes to the a downed bird every once in a while. The other picks up birds but only brings them back about 1/2 way - and does not have a soft mouth. Both are to old to go through force fetch. Just looking for some references on lab kennels/trainers to get one lined up for next year - hopefully.

Forums are full of opinions so here is mine. Labs like springer spaniels are flushing dogs by nature. I know there is a lot of pointing lab breeders out there and there are even hunt tests and certifications for this. I know there are people out there having fun with pointing labs maybe even rdh1(above). I am just old school in this and it is not for me. It is not that I do not like pointers, I love em'. I would just like to keep the labs (and the breed) flushing. If you like GSPs, start looking for a puppy with strong natural retrieving skills. They are out there. If you want a closer working pointer, maybe look at a German Wirehair Pointer. They are great versatile dogs.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Labs [Re: beatarmy] #6031272 11/16/15 01:17 AM
T
TXPanhandler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: beatarmy
A buddy has a pointing lab. Pretty sure she's never pointed anything. Doesn't exhibit any of the birdy traits you see in a pointing breed.

This. High price tag, low talent.

upshaw-insurance.com
Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6032293 11/16/15 03:54 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've hunted pheasants over a few different pointing labs. None of them had any pointing training and so most would only point for 5-10 seconds or so before breaking and flushing birds. One would hold a point until she was told to flush birds. I am not sure a pointing lab would ever compare to a true pointer, but then again you won't find many pointers that excel on a sub-zero waterfowl hunt either.

As for trainers, I have heard good things about Julie Knutson up in Colorado.

Re: Labs [Re: TXPanhandler] #6032680 11/16/15 06:53 PM
R
Ringman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler

Agree. Looking on line, it seems like they want a lot for a dog bred to flush and taught to point.
I would think natural tendencies are hard to overcome with training.

Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6033364 11/17/15 12:24 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Ringman
Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler

Agree. Looking on line, it seems like they want a lot for a dog bred to flush and taught to point.
I would think natural tendencies are hard to overcome with training.

up

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Labs [Re: beatarmy] #6033624 11/17/15 01:58 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

I hunt with a guy that has one too. Every time the dog stops he says " point" never been a bird there yet. He says they are running, I say sure they are.
I think it actually pointed a pheasant once in Kansas but it looked like he just stopped to me and a pheasant accidentally ran under him.
Great retriever though.

Last edited by huntwest; 11/17/15 01:59 AM.
Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6033766 11/17/15 02:42 AM
S
SilverDogs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
The 2 labs I've owned have hunted mostly upland birds. They both pointed, flushed, and retrieved. Pheasant hunting is their main season, by the second weekend birds are so jumpy that all they can really do is flush, they will get the occasional point. Ive had them quail hunting and done guided chucker and quail hunts and they point and hold just like any other good pointing dog. Honoring a pointing dog is the only concern I could see them having, they like to be right in the mix of things. My brother in law runs Vizsla's and guides with them in NE Oklahoma, he's already said his next dog will be a pointing lab.

[Linked Image]
Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6034756 11/17/15 04:58 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I have one of those so called low talent/high price tag 'pointing' labs so I am a bit biased. If you have other pointers I think it would be a good addition to your current group.

I wouldn't say they would compete well against a well bred pointer but I do know some of the 'PLs' have fared well in the BDC pointing division as well as some other venues. They aren't build for horseback quail hunting but for a walking hunter I would think they would be a good addition.

I went on a dove/duck hunt earlier this season with my dog (18 months) and a friend who bought his 3 yr old 'finished' dog who was pro trained. By the end of the weekend my friend was wanting a pup out of my dog's litter. The final morning he actually hunted with my dog and myself instead of his since he was so impressed with her manners in the blind.

I think as with a lot of things you do the right research and ask around and you will find a good dog whether it be a PL, GSP, GWP, etc. There are a lot of highly titled dogs out there that you can find.

I do 2nd the opinion of reading Julie Knutson's book. I have done all the training myself based on her book with some input from some old school pointing books.

Here is a link from a PL club showing some puppies in action with their natural point. These labs maybe considered defective but apparently there is a strong market of these defective dogs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhyKi6w7ujk

Re: Labs [Re: SilverDogs] #6034932 11/17/15 06:26 PM
R
Ringman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
What kennel is your dog from?

Re: Labs [Re: mattyg06] #6035805 11/18/15 01:00 AM
T
TXPanhandler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

I went on a dove/duck hunt earlier this season with my dog (18 months) and a friend who bought his 3 yr old 'finished' dog who was pro trained. By the end of the weekend my friend was wanting a pup out of my dog's litter. The final morning he actually hunted with my dog and myself instead of his since he was so impressed with her manners in the blind.

This is not surprising since thats what they are bred to do...

upshaw-insurance.com
Re: Labs [Re: Ringman] #6036035 11/18/15 02:36 AM
M
magspa Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Force fetch your GSP's.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide