Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6035884 11/18/15 01:32 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I for one have lost my allure for them. Shot one when I was a teenager and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I absolutely hate them now. They scare deer off just by the noise they make. If they see one it's like the 400yd dash in the Olympics. To me they serve no purpose and shouldn't be recognized as a "game animal". They do make a cool mount, and it's something I don't mind the kids learning to shoot at before moving on to deer. For this reason alone I would love to have 30 guys on my lease to thin the herd but I am in a two county restriction as well. Just have to make my feeder pens large enough that no excess corn gets slung outside of the panels. They essentially just pass through now and then. CR, I couldn't tell you how to cape one. It's the only animal I have immediately froze, guts and all, and dropped at the taxi. I am sure he cussed me as I walked out but I was a teenager then and didn't care. Haven't done it since of course. I have more respect for my taxi now. Lol.

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6037307 11/18/15 07:24 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Shot a bunch, ate a bunch. Not a bad little animal, do have their own flavor,,, beer helps.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Javelina [Re: Revoman] #6037340 11/18/15 07:39 PM
S
SonoftheSouth777 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted By: Revoman
Shot a bunch, ate a bunch. Not a bad little animal, do have their own flavor,,, beer helps.

Yea Like a Keg or Two ......

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6037392 11/18/15 08:08 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Got one a while back and it was last one I'll ever shoot. I was meticulous when I skinned and quartered. Front legs can't be used there is just nothing on them, rear quarters are also very small even on a large one. The smell to me is a cross between horse and skunk and someone with body odor. I deboned mine brined for a week and made summer sausage. It was good and nobody could tell the difference. However it was a lot of work. Tried frying a bit of the backstrap and after tasting it it all went into the summer sausage.

Re: Javelina [Re: SouthWestIron] #6037406 11/18/15 08:18 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: blazin
Got one a while back and it was last one I'll ever shoot. I was meticulous when I skinned and quartered. Front legs can't be used there is just nothing on them, rear quarters are also very small even on a large one. The smell to me is a cross between horse and skunk and someone with body odor. I deboned mine brined for a week and made summer sausage. It was good and nobody could tell the difference. However it was a lot of work. Tried frying a bit of the backstrap and after tasting it it all went into the summer sausage.

Did you wash it off before cleaning it?

Re: Javelina [Re: Theringworm] #6039014 11/19/15 06:59 PM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
I for one have lost my allure for them. Shot one when I was a teenager and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I absolutely hate them now. They scare deer off just by the noise they make. If they see one it's like the 400yd dash in the Olympics. To me they serve no purpose and shouldn't be recognized as a "game animal". They do make a cool mount, and it's something I don't mind the kids learning to shoot at before moving on to deer. For this reason alone I would love to have 30 guys on my lease to thin the herd but I am in a two county restriction as well. Just have to make my feeder pens large enough that no excess corn gets slung outside of the panels. They essentially just pass through now and then. CR, I couldn't tell you how to cape one. It's the only animal I have immediately froze, guts and all, and dropped at the taxi. I am sure he cussed me as I walked out but I was a teenager then and didn't care. Haven't done it since of course. I have more respect for my taxi now. Lol.

You'd be surprised how many fellas up north want to come down and shoot one to take home. You can even charge!

Re: Javelina [Re: Navasot] #6039140 11/19/15 07:56 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot

I didn't if I ever want to mess with one I'll take your advice for sure.

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039179 11/19/15 08:17 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
When I drove the truck to pick up my superfreak cull (or "management" or "damaged in velvet" or whatever) buck, the feeder had gone off and I could have shot a big ol' boar in the group. But, I know my limitations and decided that'd be too much work for one night. 'Gonna try and hold off shooting one until next year or later and let my taxidermy budget recuperate. I will use the Dawn dish soap suggestion.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039200 11/19/15 08:27 PM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
When I drove the truck to pick up my superfreak cull (or "management" or "damaged in velvet" or whatever) buck, the feeder had gone off and I could have shot a big ol' boar in the group. But, I know my limitations and decided that'd be too much work for one night. 'Gonna try and hold off shooting one until next year or later and let my taxidermy budget recuperate. I will use the Dawn dish soap suggestion.

You'll probably see him next year too.

Javelina don't wander too far from what I've seen and usually run the same routes daily. Only time one gets lost is when he's kicked out by a stronger male. Females stay with the herd 100% of the time. They're very territorial.

Re: Javelina [Re: SouthWestIron] #6039215 11/19/15 08:40 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Navasot

I didn't if I ever want to mess with one I'll take your advice for sure.

Works well with wild hogs too. Mainly what happens is all the funk that's on the skin is put into the meat with the knife.. washin them off with dish soap works like a charm cheers

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039216 11/19/15 08:40 PM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Here's a nice link for you all to look at. Good info.

http://www.javelinahunter.com/trophy_javelina.htm

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039222 11/19/15 08:47 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
So, educate me on javelina. Say I want the typical Texas mount of an open mount javelina. (I know they're not that ferocious, but it's kind of a tradition.) How do I cut/cape it? Do I save the backstraps? Edible? Some say kick it in the brush. Some say I need to be related to, or at least close personal friends with an undocumented democratic voter to learn how to cook it. Some say just cut the glands off the middle of the back and keep the hair away from the meat.

There's plenty at this new lease and I've never been around them for this long of a time.

(Move this to the "hogs" section if you have to, but I do know they're closer to a dog than a hog.)

Your taxidermist can put bigger teeth in the mount if you want it to look meaner.

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039238 11/19/15 09:01 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
We had our taxidermist do a full body mount and think it turned out really well. This has been a few yrs ago and I don't remember if they swapped out the cutters for a larger set. I want to say it was around $500 so not too bad considering. That same day we shot 2 fallow as well so we got lucky and the taxidermist came out to cape all of them for us.

Re: Javelina [Re: Creekrunner] #6039245 11/19/15 09:05 PM
D
ddr225 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I need to find a place to hunt these suckers!

Re: Javelina [Re: 7x57] #6039393 11/19/15 10:48 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican
Here's a nice link for you all to look at. Good info.

http://www.javelinahunter.com/trophy_javelina.htm

Cool site. Thanks for posting.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Javelina [Re: scalebuster] #6039405 11/19/15 10:53 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
So, educate me on javelina. Say I want the typical Texas mount of an open mount javelina. (I know they're not that ferocious, but it's kind of a tradition.) How do I cut/cape it? Do I save the backstraps? Edible? Some say kick it in the brush. Some say I need to be related to, or at least close personal friends with an undocumented democratic voter to learn how to cook it. Some say just cut the glands off the middle of the back and keep the hair away from the meat.

There's plenty at this new lease and I've never been around them for this long of a time.

(Move this to the "hogs" section if you have to, but I do know they're closer to a dog than a hog.)

Your taxidermist can put bigger teeth in the mount if you want it to look meaner.

they can also put a bigger set of antlers on a deer you kill too... grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide