Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6025776 11/12/15 07:10 PM
C
cp50948 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I don't care much for either one. I try to buy from the small companies that are mostly "family owned" or just go to academy. Just don't have the luxury to run down to the chain stores and go grab something. Closest chain hunting store to me is Gander Mountain and they just plain out suck. I always have to be prepared before hand.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6025789 11/12/15 07:18 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Not good!!! I would rather drive 45 minutes to Cabelas than 5 minutes to BPS. BPS will ruin Cabelas.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: kdkane1971] #6025822 11/12/15 07:43 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: huntindude
They just put the cabelas sign on the new store they are building near Dickinson. Dang. I was getting excited.

That store is literally 5 minutes from my house and I have been anxiously waiting for that store to open since the announcement was made.

Same here...im off 517

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: JCB] #6025836 11/12/15 07:51 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: JCB
Not good!!! I would rather drive 45 minutes to Cabelas than 5 minutes to BPS. BPS will ruin Cabelas.

+1

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: Buzzsaw] #6025850 11/12/15 07:58 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
a couple months ago, I was talking to an employee at Cabelas, asking if it was a good place to work. I'm thinking about some part time hours after I retire. He said, it used to be great but since an investment group took them over, it sucked.

Just another classic case of a buyout, cut expenses, raise margins, make yourself look good to investors and BYE-BYE !!!

Been through it twice, luckily, I was on the streets selling and they needed us, not so good for office and support people. Sad.

Bad thing is , I think Cabela's is better than Bass Pro. At least the 2 I frequent here in North Texas. Sportsman's Warehouse opened and closed here within about 2 years and I liked them better than both Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Should be interesting.....

This explains a lot...Cabelas in Ft Worth used to be awesome but for the last couple of years they've been more like Bass Pro...in other word their serviced sucks and their prices were raised quite a bit.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6025852 11/12/15 07:58 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
A little research will show, that the deal isn't final, but it's close. I read some things, about investors pushing to have the store become REI like, that would be worse than BPS. There very well may be some store closures because they built too many big stores too close together. Let's see how it all works out BPS needs to get financing first.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: nsmike] #6025879 11/12/15 08:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: nsmike
A little research will show, that the deal isn't final, but it's close. I read some things, about investors pushing to have the store become REI like, that would be worse than BPS. There very well may be some store closures because they built too many big stores too close together. Let's see how it all works out BPS needs to get financing first.

REI like as in gear or REI as in store concept? Huge difference

REI is a co-op

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6025943 11/12/15 08:51 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Honestly I have enjoyed both stores. It's like a special joy for us to go to one every time we see either one. Nice to know at least one of them will still be around.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: Indyoshi] #6025996 11/12/15 09:10 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: huntindude
They just put the cabelas sign on the new store they are building near Dickinson. Dang. I was getting excited.

That store is literally 5 minutes from my house and I have been anxiously waiting for that store to open since the announcement was made.

Same here...im off 517

518 here - howdy neighbor up

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026005 11/12/15 09:15 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I've shopped both stores in North Texas, but I actually buy 90% of everything online.BPS & Cabelas have way too much overhead, and can't compete with online prices. Most of the time they don't have what I go there for anyway.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026045 11/12/15 09:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I prefer Cabelas, only because it is closer. I can almost always buy cheaper online including shipping though, so that is what I do. . A store front is great when you need something right now, or want to look at a particular item.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026073 11/12/15 09:42 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I'll go to either Bass Pro or Cabela's if I'm needing some unique piece of equipment. Otherwise, I'll hit up Academy or on-line to save a buck. I never understood why Cabela's got into the farm equipment business. I'm sure there were some big margins on the tractors, and maybe OEM was fronting the inventory. If I'm buying a new tractor, I'm getting it from the local tractor dealer.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026099 11/12/15 09:53 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I could be wrong.
It doesn't make sense the news would come out of Billings, from an un-named employee. If a deal has been struck the odds are very low the information has been disseminated that fast to a non-management employee in a store. The info most likely would be coming from another source.

As stated above I could be wrong, easily so. After having been in corporate America for 30 years I now work the gun counter at the Ft. Worth store and the published story does not fit with the way these things usually happen nor does it fit with the culture I've seen within the organization. Of course I had no clue that VHS would win out over Betamax.

It will be interesting to see how this folds out.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026108 11/12/15 09:58 PM
F
Fatdaddy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
guess I need to spend my Cabelas gift cards soon.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026119 11/12/15 10:06 PM
C
cowboybam58 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Cabelas was always a better store than BPS for hunting equipment. Be interesting to see how this affects all the stores. Especially around the DFW area.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026154 11/12/15 10:32 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
maybe if they close up
someone will put in a
store that has merchandise
in stock (besides casual clothes)
instead of the clerks having
to tell you that what you
sat in traffic for 2 hours
to try on in person is catalog
order only, and can't be had
at any of the stores. it should
show this when you look it up.

i would imagine they'll go the
way oshman's did, and the way
academy is heading.

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026227 11/12/15 11:06 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just cashed in my points on the items on my wish list that would max it out. Yeah, I overreact on a regular basis.

I'll start looking for an alternative credit card in a few days.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026229 11/12/15 11:07 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026245 11/12/15 11:11 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe the Cabela's in Buda will get a decent restaurant. Bass Pro has the right idea, especially in décor, but the restaurant needs to be taken up a notch; not just salty Sisco food. Cabela's food always reminded me of a SeaWorld, Disney, Fiesta Texas, etc.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: Creekrunner] #6026303 11/12/15 11:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I couldn't care less. I shop online and get what I need from whomever has the best price. If I need something quick I go to Acedemy in McKinney. If they don't have it, then I'll have to wait on the brown truck.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026425 11/13/15 12:51 AM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Well I was looking forward to the new Houston store to open it. I think it is already half built?

Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: Creekrunner] #6026464 11/13/15 01:19 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Maybe the Cabela's in Buda will get a decent restaurant. Bass Pro has the right idea, especially in décor, but the restaurant needs to be taken up a notch; not just salty Sisco food. Cabela's food always reminded me of a SeaWorld, Disney, Fiesta Texas, etc.

That is no lie on the food there. The 2 or 3 times I went into that store about a year after it opened I was surprised at how dirty and rundown the whole store was in just a short time. I order on-line now because of how filthy that store was back then.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026511 11/13/15 01:41 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This article from last month spells out a little of what caused what maybe happening.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/22/cabelas-expansion-cannibalizing-its-own-stores/

Quote:
Cabela’s expansion cannibalizing its own stores

As added sites lure customers from other Cabela's superstores, overall profits plummet.

By Kyle StockBloomberg

NEW YORK — It turns out there is such a thing as too much taxidermy.

Cabela’s, a retail mecca for all things outdoorsy, admitted Thursday morning that it vastly overestimated the market for massive shopping centers stuffed with stuffed critters.

Cabela’s in Scarborough sells outdoor gear from a superstore filled with museum-quality displays – an example of destination shoppping. The company is now slowing its expansion and may build smaller stores.
Cabela’s in Scarborough sells outdoor gear from a superstore filled with museum-quality displays – an example of destination shoppping. The company is now slowing its expansion and may build smaller stores.

In the recent quarter, Cabela’s revenue increased a respectable 4.6 percent, to $927 million. But the company was operating 10 more giant shops than it was in the year-earlier period. As a result, sales at comparable stores slumped 4.2 percent and profit plummeted 19 percent.

In a note to investors Thursday morning, Goldman Sachs analysts said cannibalization among the company’s stores “looks severe.” In other words, the new sites are luring customers from other Cabela’s shops, rather than from competitors. Now that there’s a Cabela’s in Missoula, Montana, grizzly hunters don’t have to schlep up to Kalispell to get their gear.

To be sure, Cabela’s is a bit of a niche retailer, but the result presents a cautionary tale for the few companies bold enough to double down on bricks-and-mortar in a Web-savvy world. As some sellers shift more of their business online, others are moving in the opposite direction – building superstores, shopping planets that have their own gravity. If the building is compelling enough, it becomes a destination of its own.

Apple’s Manhattan nerve center falls into this camp (based on how many tourists near the Bloomberg office ask for directions to it). A few blocks away, H&M recently built its biggest flagship in the world near two of its other stores. Under Armour, meanwhile, is gearing up its big retail game plan with its own “brand houses.”

Once inside these places, the thesis is consumerism by cornucopia. There are simply so many products and so much stuff to see, it takes a while to process. The longer one stays, the more you’re liable to spend – at least, that’s the idea.

Few commit to this strategy as fully as Cabela’s, which boasts of a “tourist-type experience.” Its 250,000-square-foot barn in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, has a museum that would make Teddy Roosevelt proud, a shooting gallery, and a kennel where shoppers can leave their dogs for the day. Of course, that kind of presence requires a lot of expensive inventory and, in the case of Cabela’s, taxidermy (the Pennsylvania store has many mounted musk-oxen).

Not surprisingly, Cabela’s said that it will slow its expansion schedule. At the moment, it is calling for seven new stores next year and no more than that in 2017. And it’s leaning toward smaller stores. Still, the company plans eventually to have 225 brick-and-mortar shops in North America. They have 74 now. “We’re still confident,” Chief Executive Officer Thomas Millner said. “But the pause to have a model that is far more predictable is really important.”

In the meantime, the company is buying back stock, which was on sale at a 15 percent discount Thursday morning.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxhunter] #6026609 11/13/15 02:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wonder if Cabelas would keep the on-line sales portion and sell the stores off. I prefer the on-line anyways.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cabela's being bought out [Re: stxranchman] #6026646 11/13/15 03:02 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Wonder if Cabelas would keep the on-line sales portion and sell the stores off. I prefer the on-line anyways.

Very few people know what is going to happen.

To be determined
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide