6238192 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6022989 - 11/11/15 08:47 AM Lows and Highs of this weekend
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Nocona TX
I had one of "those" opening weekends. I was on the hunt for a buck on the target list. Sitting in the stand Sunday evening, I'm seeing a lot of activity at the feeder. Young bucks chasing does. Then I see the does stop and look my way. I'm wondering did they see me from 150 yards away, the wind was in my face and I'm covered up head to toe. Then I hear crunching of leaves and grass to my left. I see through the tree limbs a big bodied deer moving. Then I catch sight of the rack. It's my number 2 target buck, 4-5 y/o 6 point - no brow tines. Thinking he is going straight to the does, the plan was to let him walk in to clearing and take the shot. However he cut's right in front of my tripod at 16 yards. I'm oh crap he'll definitely see me. As he presents his side I take aim, bang. The shot went under him and he bolts. I've never missed with my rifle; however, I've never taken a shot that close at that angle. I didn't compensate for scope height and my height. I was dejected, angry and then very very sad.

I get down a little early and head back to the golf cart. Where I parked my cart, I had a view of another feeder at about 170 yards away. I could see two deer, it was right at end of shooting light and at 167 yards all I could see was a big bodied deer and horns well outside the ears. I kneel and sight in and take the shot. Boom, or rather crack... shooting suppressed 308, I hear the hit. But because the grass is bit tall I could tell if he down or ran off. Waited a few and headed that way. He was fell where he stood. He was a big bodied deer with a beautiful mass. However the other side was a single. He would have been close to 18-19" spread. Glad I have more venison for the freezer and he's out of the gene pool. Haven't seen this guy on camera previously.

#6023083 - 11/11/15 09:20 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
High Country Archer Offline
Tracker

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Assuming that you are in Montague County, how is that deer legal under AR? I'm not a GW (or trying to play one on the internet) but don't see where that rack would meet either requirement for a legal buck. If I am missing something, please let me know so I can learn and be better educated.

#6023126 - 11/11/15 09:34 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: High Country Archer]
brew0216 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: grand prairie
Originally Posted By: High Country Archer
Assuming that you are in Montague County, how is that deer legal under AR? I'm not a GW (or trying to play one on the internet) but don't see where that rack would meet either requirement for a legal buck. If I am missing something, please let me know so I can learn and be better educated.
That deer needed to be shot game warden.

#6023133 - 11/11/15 09:36 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
You would be measuring from the widest part on the inside.. I bet hes right there at 13

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6023139 - 11/11/15 09:37 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: High Country Archer]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Could be MLD also no reason to jump to conclusions with one picture

#6023161 - 11/11/15 09:48 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
TEXASLEFTY Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The Island Cres
Congrats on taking a deer that needed to be out of the gene pool before the rut. The point has to be a full inch to count.

#6023164 - 11/11/15 09:49 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Also if that little nub at the base isn't over an inch long it doesn't count as a branched antler.

#6023184 - 11/11/15 09:55 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: redchevy]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Also if that little nub at the base isn't over an inch long it doesn't count as a branched antler.

Yep, he'd qualify as non-branched antlered on one side, making him legal regardless of spread.

#6023196 - 11/11/15 10:02 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: brew0216]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Congrats on taking a deer that needed to be out of the gene pool before the rut. The point has to be a full inch to count.

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Thanks for the response as I didn't realize that.

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Could be MLD also no reason to jump to conclusions with one picture

Never thought about MLD as I have never hunted on MLD so never checked into the rules.

Originally Posted By: brew0216
That deer needed to be shot game warden.[/quote]

That is why I asked, to learn. Even said I wasn't a GW if you would have comprehended my entire post. I was not trying to bash anyone but was trying to get clarification and learn because I thought by what I read, I would have passed that deer due to AR.

#6023202 - 11/11/15 10:05 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Tracker

BTW - congrats to the OP on getting that deer for the freezer and keeping him from passing on those genes.

#6023281 - 11/11/15 10:45 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Woodsman

I was hunting in Montague. No offense taken, and to confirm the earlier point, I too was concerned when I came up on him that he may not have been legal deer. Given the nub at the base was less than an inch. He qualified as a having one unbranched antler which is defined as a legal deer.

#6023283 - 11/11/15 10:47 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Navasot]
Woodsman

You would be measuring from the widest part on the inside.. I bet hes right there at 13

The spread doesn't matter on when there is an unbranched antler, his spread was closer to 17" at the widest part of inside spread.

#6023327 - 11/11/15 11:13 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

The spread doesn't matter on when there is an unbranched antler, his spread was closer to 17" at the widest part of inside spread.

Is it though? When did a branch become a point?

#6023346 - 11/11/15 11:18 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

clap

these are so much fun

#6023349 - 11/11/15 11:19 AM Re: Lows and Highs of this weekend [Re: Las Colinas Hunter]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
I was hunting in Montague. No offense taken, and to confirm the earlier point, I too was concerned when I came up on him that he may not have been legal deer. Given the nub at the base was less than an inch. He qualified as a having one unbranched antler which is defined as a legal deer.

Thanks for your response and not taking offense to my question like others did. I truly was not bashing and was honestly trying to learn as this is the first year of hunting Montague county. We have quite a few cull bucks that I had written off as not being AR legal and will have to take another look at them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide