Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Opening Weekend In Eastern Williamson County #6019263 11/09/15 04:27 PM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I hunt a small place, a hundred acres SE of Taylor TX. It belongs to my long time hunting bud, he bought it two years ago. We hunted on leases in the hill country, S Texas, N Texas, some very good leases. His place is in an AR area, we didn't expect
much in regard to quality deer. I initiated a food plot last fall and he allowed me to expand it this past spring, and asked for it to be expanded more this fall. We have a couple or three feeders up, one I keep running year round for pig elimination. Last year we spotted a couple of nice bucks and let them walk to spread their genes and hopefully begin a long term management program. The neighbors however aren't yet on board, killing the first buck they see and calling it good enough. What we havene't done is share pics or even mention the few better animals we've spotted.
Saturday morning my bud hadn't arrived yet and the alrm went off at 5 AM and I couldn't get up. This happens when one grows old. Saturday afternoon, one doe and it's spring fawn was all I saw and my bud saw a few small deer and a bobcat he let pass.
Sunday morning was a bust with only a little forkhorn a few hundred yards out.
My bud went to a concert Sunday evening and I was alone so I took my rifle and camera not expecting much. I saw deer in the sticks moving about and they came out eventually to graze the plot I planted along the tree line. All young, three six pointers and a forkhorn. At the feeder, only the same doe and fawn ate corn. The little bucks hopped the fence across the pasture and evaporated into the brush. A few minutes later, they came back at a trot and hopped back onto our side of the fence. A few minutes later I noticed another deer standing at the fence nose to nose with two of the samll bucks.
I glassed them and the new deer looked fairly decent. He made a standing leap and was on our side of the fence walking slowly in my direction. I put my camera on him with full zoom but I must have moved the selector knob from action pic to something else by accident because something wasn't right when I was snapping pics. He advanced all the way over, near the feeder but wasn't interested in corn or grazing the plot. He made a scrape and rubbed his eye glands in a tree at about 70 yards and all of my pics at this range came out blurred. All but one or two and even these weren't crisp.
I wanted to take this buck but with no one to help load and knowing if I left him to get help, the coyotes would likely be on him quick so I had to pass.
Certainly there are many superior bucks across the state but for this place, this is an awesome animal. He left the same way he came in, back into a thick briar patch where no man walks. Maybe my bud or I will get another crack at him, maybe never see him again. I got about twenty decent pics. I cropped these two and resized them.
The first one at about 250 yards, the second at about seventy yards.

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
Re: Opening Weekend In Eastern Williamson County [Re: Dirt] #6019270 11/09/15 04:30 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Great looking deeer. Hope you get a shot at him.

Re: Opening Weekend In Eastern Williamson County [Re: Dirt] #6019298 11/09/15 04:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Nice pics and buck

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide