6247900 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6019107 - 11/09/15 09:28 AM GW and biologist checking for CWD
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
One of the guys on our property took his first buck yesterday. It was a nice 8 point. He took it to Ray's in Breckenridge for processing and to get the skull mount. While there, the game warden checked his license and the biologist asked to check the deer for CWD. The biologist collected all his samples and such of the buck. He told my buddy that the buck was 5 1/2 years old, and some other info about the buck. I thought this was a good thing seeing the biologist take these samples and show a proactive roll on CWD in Texas.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6019151 - 11/09/15 09:38 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

I wonder how many deer shot in Texas have been tested for CWD prior to this year?

You will never be able to convince me that CWD does not exist in wild herds in Texas, aside from the ones found in mule deer in west Texas

#6019166 - 11/09/15 09:44 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Our biologist had to get a sample size of about 40 deer from each county in his territory. He said most came off of road kills but that he was going to camp out at a processor this weekend to finish getting samples.

#6019175 - 11/09/15 09:46 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Going to be interesting to see what happens if they ever find a positive CWD from a volunteer test. Can you imagine what will happen to the processors business after finding one at his shop? The ranch the deer came from? All the deer processed at that location if the hunters who left them there hear about the deer? All the unpaid processing fees and left game for the processor to deal with?

#6019208 - 11/09/15 10:04 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: HuntnFly67]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Our biologist had to get a sample size of about 40 deer from each county in his territory. He said most came off of road kills but that he was going to camp out at a processor this weekend to finish getting samples.

yeah, this year....how many deer did he test in years prior?

#6019222 - 11/09/15 10:10 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: stxranchman]
8pointdrop Online   sleepy
Extreme Tracker

Loc: My favorite place TEXAS
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Going to be interesting to see what happens if they ever find a positive CWD from a volunteer test. Can you imagine what will happen to the processors business after finding one at his shop? The ranch the deer came from? All the deer processed at that location if the hunters who left them there hear about the deer? All the unpaid processing fees and left game for the processor to deal with?

That's the reason I've said it before and will again...If it's "voluntary" they won't get a sample from my deer.

#6019227 - 11/09/15 10:12 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: txtrophy85]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I asked him if he was staying busy and he said with all the new CWD hoops to jump through, he is. That indicated to me that this was a new program, so I suspect prior years to be zero.

#6019367 - 11/09/15 11:06 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: HuntnFly67]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

I asked him if he was staying busy and he said with all the new CWD hoops to jump through, he is. That indicated to me that this was a new program, so I suspect prior years to be zero.

whats gonna happen is they are gonna find one that tests positive if they test enough and it will be "the deer breeders fault" and then all hell is gonna break loose

this thing is going to backfire on TPWD I'm afraid

#6019382 - 11/09/15 11:11 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: txtrophy85]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

So, what would you rather they do, not do any testing? How do you know if you have a problem unless you do this testing? I am glad to see them testing.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6019388 - 11/09/15 11:16 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

So, what would you rather they do, not do any testing? How do you know if you have a problem unless you do this testing? I am glad to see them testing.

they haven't done any testing for the last 100 years, so why start now? just to prove that something that is naturally occurring actually exists? I have heard that some deer have been tested since 2002, the number I heard was like 32k deer or something. since 2002 approx. 6.5 million whitetail have hit the ground in texas. what percentage is that?

and what if they do find a wild whitetail with CWD? then what? we gonna stop deer hunting?

#6019405 - 11/09/15 11:22 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

I know, it's a good question.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6019473 - 11/09/15 11:56 AM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: txtrophy85]
Extreme Tracker

and what if they do find a wild whitetail with CWD? then what?

You know what will happen. Every deer in that herd must die, all of them. Scorched earth is the only remedy they can come up with.

#6019496 - 11/09/15 12:07 PM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: ChadTRG42]
oldoak2000 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
One very good reason I process my own.

This topic is more a matter of 'when' rather then 'if' ; eventually something is going to show up somewhere . . .

#6019506 - 11/09/15 12:19 PM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: 8pointdrop]
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

That's the reason I've said it before and will again...If it's "voluntary" they won't get a sample from my deer.

I am in no way trying to debate you, this is just out of pure curiosity. Why don't you want them to test your deer? This whole CWD matter interests me.

#6019552 - 11/09/15 12:40 PM Re: GW and biologist checking for CWD [Re: texassippi]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: texassippi
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

I am in no way trying to debate you, this is just out of pure curiosity. Why don't you want them to test your deer? This whole CWD matter interests me.

What do you think they will do if they find cwd on your ranch?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide