Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
TSA requirements when traveling with a gun #6016838 11/07/15 11:00 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I was invited to Montana to elk hunt next week. Do the airlines allow a hard gun case that is locked with the tumbler type lock? In other words the case locks are opened by entering a number code? Thanks

You can't fix stupid
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6016936 11/08/15 12:28 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Get yourself a TSA approved lock. It has to be a lock that is certified by the TSA meaning they can open it with a master key.

If your not sure about your locks then spend the few bucks get the right ones. Coming from someone that has picked up many clients traveling with firearms and dealing with the problems of not having the right locks, I can tell you its not worth the hassle. I would also advise on getting the TSA pre check.

We are talking just a few extra bucks here for your items that are worth a lot more.
http://www.masterlock.com/cms/support/what-are-tsa-accepted-locks
The locks will have a symbol on them and can be used with a master key.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6016949 11/08/15 12:38 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I have traveled with both tumble lock and key lock hard case. Different airlines have different requirements so make sure you check. Also, if American, the bullets have to be in the original purchase box, as it is not safe for ammo to travel in a magazine hammer

You need to check in at the counter and declare the firearm, so don't check in at the computer as it is a waste of time.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6016964 11/08/15 12:54 AM
J
jaustin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Go to the website of the airline you are flying with. Then do exactly what it says to do. Then, print out their instructions in case you have to teach the airline employee what their policy is. I fly with firearms quite a bit and in most instances it's no problem.

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: Curtis] #6017024 11/08/15 01:33 AM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Get yourself a TSA approved lock. It has to be a lock that is certified by the TSA meaning they can open it with a master key.

If your not sure about your locks then spend the few bucks get the right ones. Coming from someone that has picked up many clients traveling with firearms and dealing with the problems of not having the right locks, I can tell you its not worth the hassle. I would also advise on getting the TSA pre check.

We are talking just a few extra bucks here for your items that are worth a lot more.
http://www.masterlock.com/cms/support/what-are-tsa-accepted-locks
The locks will have a symbol on them and can be used with a master key.

I have the TSA approved locks - but borrowed a gun case from a buddy and there is no place to put these locks on. His case has the tumbler locks

You can't fix stupid
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6017382 11/08/15 12:12 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Just a FYI, it depends on your destination if guns are allowed to travel with you.....

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: RedRanger] #6017450 11/08/15 01:28 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Montana - Delta website does not have specific info (that I can find) about locks - probably call them

You can't fix stupid
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6017718 11/08/15 03:58 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Go here and look under sports equipment:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/t...ial-items.html/

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6018103 11/08/15 10:48 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
thanks - I called them and the combo built in lock is fine

You can't fix stupid
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6018118 11/08/15 10:59 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I flew into San Francisco with a hand gun. I did not buy TSA locks because I didn't want my case opened by anyone but me. I bought two Brinks locks and put one on the pelican case and one in it. I wrote my name phone number and email address on the outside of the case. Put ammo in the case in its own box and declared it with TSA. Put the gun case in my luggage and they gave me a red tag and tied another tag on my luggage. They never opened my case.

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6018338 11/09/15 01:37 AM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Yeah. Most airlines dont want TSA locks. Rules are the lock can only be opened by owner, which means TSA locks are out. You do have to wait around till the gun makes it thru security in case TSA wants you to open it tho. Most rules are hard sided case that is locked. Varies by airline.

Last edited by Tim9880; 11/09/15 01:37 AM.
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: Savage388] #6018387 11/09/15 02:02 AM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Savage388
I flew into San Francisco with a hand gun. I did not buy TSA locks because I didn't want my case opened by anyone but me. I bought two Brinks locks and put one on the pelican case and one in it. I wrote my name phone number and email address on the outside of the case. Put ammo in the case in its own box and declared it with TSA. Put the gun case in my luggage and they gave me a red tag and tied another tag on my luggage. They never opened my case.

everything I see and read says ammo carried in a box in a separate case or luggage - putting ammo in the gun case I would think will catch up with you sooner or later

You can't fix stupid
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6018723 11/09/15 07:14 AM
M
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
for your gun you are the only one who can have a key. Put the ammo in a separate locked box. I used tsa locks on the ammo. You can get by with any name brand heavy duty lockable guncase. I prefer the heavy aluminum one from cabellas. It has been on a few flights and Ive had no issues with the gun getting there in one piece.

Team Barbacoa Pro Staff.
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: mustafa] #6018759 11/09/15 11:41 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: mustafa
for your gun you are the only one who can have a key. Put the ammo in a separate locked box. I used tsa locks on the ammo. You can get by with any name brand heavy duty lockable guncase. I prefer the heavy aluminum one from cabellas. It has been on a few flights and Ive had no issues with the gun getting there in one piece.

This is exactly what I do.

I also print out the TSA regs and the airline's own regs to have with me. I also carry a set of spare locks, both TSA and non-TSA, just in case the authorities want to try out their newly-issued bolt cutters.

Be prepared to check your ammo as a separate piece of luggage in its very own locked box---this has happened to me both in Argentina and South Africa, but not in the US.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6018814 11/09/15 12:55 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I don't have all the answers, but after going to Alaska this year.

1) TSA locks are recommended, but I see the argument about not having TSA locks, because they do not want to open unless you are there anyway. I din't have TSA locks and had no issues 2 different airlines there and back.

2) They require you to put a declaration card inside your case at airport saying your gun isn't loaded, which is funny opening your gun up in the lobby of an airport!

3) Ammo needs to be in a separate CHECKED in bag. Can not be in magazines or loose, has to be in a box. I would think plastic ammo boxes ok, but I'm thinking if custom loads might be worth it to put in another factory box to save headache. Airlines never looked at my ammo, just made sure gun wasn't loaded.

4) If your flight has stop and you switch airlines leave a couple hours layover because most airlines require you check out the bag, check it back in, and go through TSA again. That all requires going out of secure zone and back in. I had to do this American to Alaskan, even though they are partners.

5) The guy hunting with me had his locks cut, no explanation and nothing done to gun.

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6040498 11/20/15 04:17 PM
Deep Sea Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I bought a really nice Plano case while in Alaska two years ago. It has locks on the clasps plus a place for pad locks too. I did not use TSA locks but had no troubles at all flying my guns back.

Scott Eastty
AW Scott Construction Company
Bastrop, TX
512-845-0187
For all your metal building needs, state wide.
www.acscott.com
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6040934 11/20/15 09:01 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: tlk
thanks - I called them and the combo built in lock is fine

Something to keep in mind, Delta and the TSA are 2 different people, i flew to Idaho last year with my bow in a SKB hard case, i had TSA locks, but they would not fit, so i stopped on my way to the airport and picked up locks, i asked at the United counter before i placed the locks on my bow case if they were "ok" and was told yes, when i got to Idaho, my locks were both cut and i had a TSA lock on my bow case and Pelican case, i had to find a TSA agent to get my stuff unlocked. I would check in on the tumbler locks, the TSA may require you to have a key lock. This year i had TSA locks, my case was opened and they placed a TSA check sheet in there and it was all good, i carry my pistol in one of those standard gun guard lockable cases with the little key locks on the hasp, no issues there!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: Stickchunker] #6042728 11/22/15 04:44 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
This is a pretty good reference, http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/robert-farago/fly-gun/

Print the rules for the TSA and airline(s) and have them ready to show the ticket agent, likely they will be near clueless.
The TSA rules actually say the ammo can be with the firearm, don't do it, put in your other bag in locked case. The ammo limit is 11 lbs, this is ammo weight, does not include the boxes or the locked case.
If your locks were cut it is because the TSA did not know the rules. Have your cell number on the outside of case.
I have flown in the US and to South Africa twice with no issues.
In London we had a gate agent page me to get the key to inspect, he was very good and stayed with the case until loaded on plane and cargo door was closed.

Mark

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6044700 11/23/15 02:02 PM
K
KPHILLIP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
TLK

Jus did it last week I brought to guns in 1 case tumbler lock no issues, but of course you must check it, I also had ammo in one of my checked bags as well. hope this helps

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6044705 11/23/15 02:04 PM
K
KPHILLIP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Lastly yes ammo bus be in the original case or an ammo can. Once again hope this helps

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6044884 11/23/15 03:21 PM
T
Texas45 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I flew to AZ twice this year, gun in locked case, ammo in mags, loose in different bag. No problems. I even told them about the loose mags, they did not care. Flew Southwest both times out of Houston.

Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6061869 12/02/15 04:17 AM
C
crash700 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I never use a TSA approved lock. I check my rifle when I fly, sometimes they check the contents and I lock it back up. Never been an issue, but I use keyed locks.

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6063643 12/03/15 02:03 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
It's actually against regulation to use TSA locks. No one but yourself should be able to access your rifle. I just got back from Canada. Everything was pretty simple. I use two 1 1/2" Masterlocks.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk] #6081811 12/13/15 11:00 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I used a combo master lock my last three international hunts and never had a problem. I have flown, Delta, Emirates and British Air. I was taken from the boarding area (Emirates) one flight by security because they wanted to recheck the firearm. They were polite and I just unlocked it for them. Still have no idea what they were looking for. I would rather they come get me than use a TSA lock where anyone can access it.

Last edited by Erny; 12/13/15 11:01 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide