476337 Topics
6248628 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6016838 - 11/07/15 05:00 PM TSA requirements when traveling with a gun
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

I was invited to Montana to elk hunt next week. Do the airlines allow a hard gun case that is locked with the tumbler type lock? In other words the case locks are opened by entering a number code? Thanks

#6016936 - 11/07/15 06:28 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
Curtis Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
Get yourself a TSA approved lock. It has to be a lock that is certified by the TSA meaning they can open it with a master key.

If your not sure about your locks then spend the few bucks get the right ones. Coming from someone that has picked up many clients traveling with firearms and dealing with the problems of not having the right locks, I can tell you its not worth the hassle. I would also advise on getting the TSA pre check.

We are talking just a few extra bucks here for your items that are worth a lot more.
http://www.masterlock.com/cms/support/what-are-tsa-accepted-locks
The locks will have a symbol on them and can be used with a master key.
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

#6016949 - 11/07/15 06:38 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
leswad Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Miserableplex
I have traveled with both tumble lock and key lock hard case. Different airlines have different requirements so make sure you check. Also, if American, the bullets have to be in the original purchase box, as it is not safe for ammo to travel in a magazine hammer

You need to check in at the counter and declare the firearm, so don't check in at the computer as it is a waste of time.

#6016964 - 11/07/15 06:54 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
jaustin Offline
Outdoorsman

Go to the website of the airline you are flying with. Then do exactly what it says to do. Then, print out their instructions in case you have to teach the airline employee what their policy is. I fly with firearms quite a bit and in most instances it's no problem.

#6017024 - 11/07/15 07:33 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: Curtis]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Get yourself a TSA approved lock. It has to be a lock that is certified by the TSA meaning they can open it with a master key.

If your not sure about your locks then spend the few bucks get the right ones. Coming from someone that has picked up many clients traveling with firearms and dealing with the problems of not having the right locks, I can tell you its not worth the hassle. I would also advise on getting the TSA pre check.

We are talking just a few extra bucks here for your items that are worth a lot more.
http://www.masterlock.com/cms/support/what-are-tsa-accepted-locks
The locks will have a symbol on them and can be used with a master key.

I have the TSA approved locks - but borrowed a gun case from a buddy and there is no place to put these locks on. His case has the tumbler locks

#6017382 - 11/08/15 06:12 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
RedRanger Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Frisco, TX / Davao Philippines
Just a FYI, it depends on your destination if guns are allowed to travel with you.....

#6017450 - 11/08/15 07:28 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: RedRanger]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

Montana - Delta website does not have specific info (that I can find) about locks - probably call them

#6017718 - 11/08/15 09:58 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
leswad Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Miserableplex
Go here and look under sports equipment:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/t...ial-items.html/

#6018103 - 11/08/15 04:48 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

thanks - I called them and the combo built in lock is fine

#6018118 - 11/08/15 04:59 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Woodville, TX
I flew into San Francisco with a hand gun. I did not buy TSA locks because I didn't want my case opened by anyone but me. I bought two Brinks locks and put one on the pelican case and one in it. I wrote my name phone number and email address on the outside of the case. Put ammo in the case in its own box and declared it with TSA. Put the gun case in my luggage and they gave me a red tag and tied another tag on my luggage. They never opened my case.

#6018338 - 11/08/15 07:37 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
Tim9880 Offline
Bird Dog

Yeah. Most airlines dont want TSA locks. Rules are the lock can only be opened by owner, which means TSA locks are out. You do have to wait around till the gun makes it thru security in case TSA wants you to open it tho. Most rules are hard sided case that is locked. Varies by airline.

Edited by Tim9880 (11/08/15 07:37 PM)

#6018387 - 11/08/15 08:02 PM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: Savage388]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Savage388
I flew into San Francisco with a hand gun. I did not buy TSA locks because I didn't want my case opened by anyone but me. I bought two Brinks locks and put one on the pelican case and one in it. I wrote my name phone number and email address on the outside of the case. Put ammo in the case in its own box and declared it with TSA. Put the gun case in my luggage and they gave me a red tag and tied another tag on my luggage. They never opened my case.

everything I see and read says ammo carried in a box in a separate case or luggage - putting ammo in the gun case I would think will catch up with you sooner or later

#6018723 - 11/09/15 01:14 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

for your gun you are the only one who can have a key. Put the ammo in a separate locked box. I used tsa locks on the ammo. You can get by with any name brand heavy duty lockable guncase. I prefer the heavy aluminum one from cabellas. It has been on a few flights and Ive had no issues with the gun getting there in one piece.

#6018759 - 11/09/15 05:41 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: mustafa]
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Big Eddy Road, Noonday
Originally Posted By: mustafa
for your gun you are the only one who can have a key. Put the ammo in a separate locked box. I used tsa locks on the ammo. You can get by with any name brand heavy duty lockable guncase. I prefer the heavy aluminum one from cabellas. It has been on a few flights and Ive had no issues with the gun getting there in one piece.

This is exactly what I do.

I also print out the TSA regs and the airline's own regs to have with me. I also carry a set of spare locks, both TSA and non-TSA, just in case the authorities want to try out their newly-issued bolt cutters.

Be prepared to check your ammo as a separate piece of luggage in its very own locked box---this has happened to me both in Argentina and South Africa, but not in the US.

#6018814 - 11/09/15 06:55 AM Re: TSA requirements when traveling with a gun [Re: tlk]
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX
I don't have all the answers, but after going to Alaska this year.

1) TSA locks are recommended, but I see the argument about not having TSA locks, because they do not want to open unless you are there anyway. I din't have TSA locks and had no issues 2 different airlines there and back.

2) They require you to put a declaration card inside your case at airport saying your gun isn't loaded, which is funny opening your gun up in the lobby of an airport!

3) Ammo needs to be in a separate CHECKED in bag. Can not be in magazines or loose, has to be in a box. I would think plastic ammo boxes ok, but I'm thinking if custom loads might be worth it to put in another factory box to save headache. Airlines never looked at my ammo, just made sure gun wasn't loaded.

4) If your flight has stop and you switch airlines leave a couple hours layover because most airlines require you check out the bag, check it back in, and go through TSA again. That all requires going out of secure zone and back in. I had to do this American to Alaskan, even though they are partners.

5) The guy hunting with me had his locks cut, no explanation and nothing done to gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide