Print Thread
Tips on using scents #6014482 11/06/15 04:30 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've never used scents before, so looking for input. Specifically, what scents should I use during the rut/pre rut and what methods should I use (drag/wicks)?

Re: Tips on using scents [Re: bigjoe8565] #6014520 11/06/15 05:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I throw in my thoughts, but you will probably get a different answer from each person.

I have used "scents" many times (wasted a lot of $$ IMO) for a long time I used the tinks 69, since I was convinced it was the best (marketing). My observations I have seen, combined with how I used scents to catch coyotes. I have seen the tinks and other doe pee' s actually alarm other doe, I think it is because they pretty much know every doe in the are and their scent, the doe pee i brought in is "doe p" but foreign.

I personally haven't ever had a big mature buck come in to what I was certain was a result of the doe P, but we all know more goes on than what we see, so that doesn't really say much.

Best luck I ever had was with some cheap knock off I got on discount at walmart one time, stuff actually smelled like a cheap cologne, no lie. I almost didn't use it for that reason, in fact I didn't until I ran out of the tinks. I put the "cologne" out one am and had 6 (young) bucks nearly run my stand over. I had so little faith in it, I had just dumped it about 3' high in cedars around my stand, go figure.

FWIW, I always use the hanging scent bottles, or way back, I used 35mm film canisters full of cotton. I don't believe you want an attractant out when you are not there to take advantage of it. I also believe you can use it too often and at the wrong time, which IMO, is a "heads up to a smart buck.

Most interest I have seen, has been just before the rut and during those 1st few days, similar to rattling for me.

IMO, best used as part of an overall plan, not the remedy.

OH almost forgot. I have taken actual doe P from does killed on opening day, same as I have done for coyote trapping. I had does actually smell it rather than running off, hence my opine about a foreign doe P. This may have no bearing on a buck though IDK.

I also know several fellas (one in particular) that spend a fortune on it each year and have nothing really to show for it. I'd use it as part of a plan, but wouldn't stake a hunt on it.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Tips on using scents [Re: bigjoe8565] #6015472 11/07/15 03:03 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Less is more. A few drops from a eye dropper is plenty. Too much scent will alarm deer more than attract them. There are scents to attract deer and others to help cover your scent. As with deer calls, success with scents is largely dependent on the mood of the buck that smells it, much like dropping a lure in front of a big bass. Sometimes they can't resist, others they ignore it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Tips on using scents [Re: Texas Dan] #6015495 11/07/15 03:17 AM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Less is more. A few drops from a eye dropper is plenty. Too much scent will alarm deer more than attract them. There are scents to attract deer and others to help cover your scent. As with deer calls, success with scents is largely dependent on the mood of the buck that smells it, much like dropping a lure in front of a big bass. Sometimes they can't resist, others they ignore it.

I think that's pretty good insight.

Re: Tips on using scents [Re: bigjoe8565] #6015681 11/07/15 06:06 AM
H
HuntingJunkie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I agree with a little bit goes a long way. I don't use as an attractant so much but will use as a cover scent to help if the wind isn't just right. I do have buddies that use the doe estrus, buck bomb or whatever else they think will help but they never seem to attract the interest of anything other than the 2yr old curious buck.

Re: Tips on using scents [Re: bigjoe8565] #6015691 11/07/15 06:25 AM
H
HillTxJsa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Ive never had a big deer come to any types of scent bombs ect.. Now i have had hunted bad winds several times and had deer come in that seemed to be confused. Almost like they think they smell me but its masked. I dunno I think its a confidence thing really. Now i have used scent drippers to reactivate scrapes with success. But again never as promoted.. Never killed a big deer at the mock scrape. Always seems to show up like a ghost or chasing a doe. Best of luck

Re: Tips on using scents [Re: bigjoe8565] #6015767 11/07/15 12:21 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Since we primarily bow hunt, we use cover scents and found to much is just as bad as none.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide