Forum Stats
60449 Members
45 Forums
475962 Topics
6243650 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6013849 - 11/05/15 10:34 PM New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts
DoveMaster Offline
Woodsman

New to duck hunting and just purchased my AHP, and wanting to try up at Ray Roberts, anybody have any tips on areas of lake to try? PM me if needed, will just be me and my 9 year old son, trying.

Tried some last year and found out how good ducks see, almost landing in decoys, then seeing me and my son. This year, we will be completely camoed up good, and brushed up.

Also, how far away from a bridge do you have to be, just curious? Don't want trouble with the law.

I know you can hunt till noon, but can you shoot at sun up, or 30 min before?

ANY TIPS AND HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED FELLAS, TRYING TO INTRODUCE THE YOUNGEN TO HUNTING.

#6013904 - 11/05/15 11:20 PM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Terlingua,TX

Edited by beaversnipe (11/05/15 11:24 PM)

#6013915 - 11/05/15 11:33 PM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
ultralite09 Offline
Light Foot

Just go out there opening morning and if you see a headlamp, head towards it. That is the national signal of a duck hunter having available room in their blind. Spots go quick.

No shooting till 30 mins after sunrise, I know it will be tempting but if you shoot before, youll be getting a visit from the local gamewarden, hes not too lenient on the shooting time.

Not sure about the bridge rule but ive killed plenty of greenheads swimming around them while driving back to the ramp if I didnt finish my limit.

Lots of comradery out there, I met my life long duck hunting buddies out there after joining them when they shined their headlamps at me.

Good luck and have fun!

#6013925 - 11/05/15 11:40 PM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
Fowlman Offline
Tracker

Loc: NTX
Just go out and build ya one of those fancy permanent blinds. Then your sure to have a spot. up

#6013926 - 11/05/15 11:44 PM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
I try to get the closest camping spot to the water at the state park by the dam. Heck, I can shoot from my tent 30 minutes after sun up and use a spinner to retrieve them. Sometimes catch a bass at the same time while still in the sleeping bag. up:

#6014063 - 11/06/15 07:00 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
RDunlevy Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
These guys are a bunch of pricks. PM me if you need any help! Don't listen to them, theyre being smart asses! I respect that you're trying to get your son involved in this awesome sport. Good luck!

#6014089 - 11/06/15 07:19 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
Misfire Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hood County
Tough Crowd..

I can't believe no one offered up GPS cordinances..

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

#6014210 - 11/06/15 08:17 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: RDunlevy]
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: In the yak
Originally Posted By: RDunlevy
These guys are a bunch of pricks. PM me if you need any help! Don't listen to them, theyre being smart asses! I respect that you're trying to get your son involved in this awesome sport. Good luck!

I know, saying you're bringing a kid should negate any reserves duck hunters have about naming lakes or spots. Everyone knows that when you have a kid you don't have time or money to scout or read the rule book. duh Kid card trumps all.

#6014258 - 11/06/15 08:40 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
js4242 Offline
Woodsman

DoveMaster - I went through some of your older posts and it appears you have a lot of questions and "rookie" is common in your posts. I applaud you for getting out an trying new things and getting your boy involved in the outdoors. I just started duck hunting myself a couple of years ago. I had/have the good fortune of having friends that have been hunting most of their life. I can ask all the "stupid" questions in private and not worry about offending anyone or taking a bunch of sh!t by asking things that seem to be reasonable but others take offense to. Here's the thing - asking questions about specific lakes is a huge no no. Guys spend a lot of time/money on finding birds and getting away from the crowds. They will not give that up easily nor should they. Asking about set ups, deke placement, cover, etc is acceptable and will be answered quickly without a bunch of crud thrown in. What I suggest you do is try to find a mentor to help you out and tag along on a hunt and be the mule/grunt. I pick up the dekes to this day with the guys that first took me because I'm TFNG. Good luck this year to you and your son

#6014284 - 11/06/15 08:47 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
New to duck hunting and just purchased my AHP, and wanting to try up at Ray Roberts, anybody have any tips on areas of lake to try? PM me if needed, will just be me and my 9 year old son, trying.

Tried some last year and found out how good ducks see, almost landing in decoys, then seeing me and my son. This year, we will be completely camoed up good, and brushed up.

Also, how far away from a bridge do you have to be, just curious? Don't want trouble with the law.

I know you can hunt till noon, but can you shoot at sun up, or 30 min before?

ANY TIPS AND HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED FELLAS, TRYING TO INTRODUCE THE YOUNGEN TO HUNTING.

please dont take anything personal from these guys, if you have a question please PM me, I dont know anything about this particular lake but I do know when legal shooting time is according to TPWD

#6014315 - 11/06/15 09:01 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
Judd Offline

Loc: Sachse, TX
Oh my....G's getting soft. They say a kid will change you folks but this here is real live proof!

#6014341 - 11/06/15 09:17 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
BadLander Offline
Tracker

Loc: 5150.867.53/09
That lake has traffic no matter what is said about it. Try and get out in the evenings and just look for Birds, hopefully not to roll out over night. your gonna have company from walk ins Boats etc. Lake levels are so high right now its not like you can just go to the back and post up.
Hire a guide on private you should learn enough to get some knowledge of what to do on your own. Most give breaks on kids.
welcome to Public Hunting. Some of these guys are kittens at the Boat Ramp. Im the biggest (censored) HEAD, when it comes to my hard work and my spots.so just stay out of mine and were good...lol kidding

#6014351 - 11/06/15 09:21 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: Judd]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Judd
Oh my....G's getting soft. They say a kid will change you folks but this here is real live proof!

I dont know what your talking about, I have always been a kind and gentle soul

#6014436 - 11/06/15 10:08 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: garrett]
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: Judd

I dont know what your talking about, I have always been a kind and gentle soul

No, you have not! trout

#6014522 - 11/06/15 11:02 AM Re: New to Duck Hunting, a few questions on for Ray Roberts [Re: DoveMaster]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

that's it, y'all are off my list of people to take hunting this year since you cant appreciate the help I offer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide