475599 Topics
6239043 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6008481 - 11/03/15 11:31 AM Rain...What To Do and Tactics
texaghunt Offline
Green Horn

Looks like rain this weekend. Would you hunt opening weekend even if it looks like rain Saturday and Sunday or would you wait until the following weekend? ALSO, any tips for hunting in the rain? Do you take your gun in the case to the stand...just let it get wet then dry/oil it later?

How much do you think the rain slows down deer movement?

#6008491 - 11/03/15 11:38 AM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
TxAg Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
Absolutely. In fact, I'm excited. I've killed three good bucks in drizzle rain. They may lay low in a driving rain but will move more and later in light rain. WT are crepuscular and feel comfortable in dim light conditions.

#6008493 - 11/03/15 11:39 AM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
rattler03 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
Unless it is absolutely pouring down rain it won't slow down deer movement. IMO cool, overcast days make for the best hunting conditions even if you get some light to moderate rain. I don't really change my tactics other than I want to be the stand before it stops raining, even if it just a temporary break in the rain, because deer will usually get up and move when the weather breaks.
-Robert Earl Keen

#6008505 - 11/03/15 11:46 AM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: rattler03]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: rattler03
I want to be the stand before it stops raining, even if it just a temporary break in the rain, because deer will usually get up and move when the weather breaks.

Heck yeah, this is spot on IMO.

#6008553 - 11/03/15 12:06 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Deer cannot see in total darkness, so when it's raining all night, odds are pretty good that they are bedded down and waiting until they can see. I've always had the best luck at first light either right after it's quit raining, or while its still raining. Especially if it's been a long, drawn out storm.

Rain or shine, we will be out in the blind Saturday morning!!!

#6008575 - 11/03/15 12:15 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Everything the fellas said.

I am very hard on my hunting equipment and rifle, main reason I have a SS barrel and composite stock, just for bad weather here and in the Rockies. But I wouldnt let bad weather keep me from hunting, a commercial wrap or sleeve , or a good cleaning when I get home. If I know it will rain and my rifle will be exposed, I would put a light coating of a repellent like WD-40 extreme.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6008581 - 11/03/15 12:16 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
Mr. T. Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Hunt in Eastland ...
Yes, by all means hunt in the rain. As others have said they may lie up during a downpour, but will definitely move in a light rain. Besides, if your stand has a tin roof on it, early in the morning just before sunrise with the rain coming down, you will get some of the best sleep of your life.
As far as taking your rifle to the stand, I take mine out of the case and put it in a big black trash bag to carry in the rain to the stand. I'm sure that keeping it in the hard case won the way to the stand might be even better.
By the way, you can also put one strip of electrical tape over the barrel of your rifle to keep rain out without affecting its accuracy any. I have shot mine both ways with a cold barrel to check and can see no difference. But others feel free to jump in here with what you think.

#6008594 - 11/03/15 12:21 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
TruTexican Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Grayson Co Texas
Hunt. Protect equipment as much as you can. My son killed his biggest buck ever in a sleet thunderstorm. He was the only deer to come to the feeder. Wind was blowing too. Of course, that was late season.

#6008607 - 11/03/15 12:30 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
you will kill more deer in a down pouring rain from a stand ... than sitting on the living room couch/recliner watching football ... clap

I pay very little attention to the rain when it comes to hunting, and I suspect the deer pay even less since they don't have a nice warm dry house to go to when it storms. They might slow a bit or bed longer during the heavy rains, but I have taken good deer during those conditions too.

As mentioned, a little piece of electrical or duct tape over the end of the barrel or cut the finger out of a rubber glove ... just be sure to dry & oil upon getting back to camp/home to prevent rusting.

~PMK~

#6008616 - 11/03/15 12:35 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: rattler03
I want to be the stand before it stops raining, even if it just a temporary break in the rain, because deer will usually get up and move when the weather breaks.

Heck yeah, this is spot on IMO.

Exactly!!! I hope to be in the stand when the rain stops. That's when I see the most activity.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6008772 - 11/03/15 01:49 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Bellville, Tx
Rain or shine, I'll be sitting in the stand. I rather enjoy hunting on cool, rainy days...my favorite hunting conditions by far

You shouldnt have said that

#6008983 - 11/03/15 03:21 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
SouthTXhunter07 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: South TX, Carrizo Springs
For me it is a matter of "can I get back to my stands?" where I hunt, if it rains more than 2" you can drive to my blinds due to the mud. I know most would say "ok then walk" but if I killed something, I wouldn't have a way to get it back to the ranch house.

#6008985 - 11/03/15 03:22 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: TxAg]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Originally Posted By: TxAg
Absolutely. In fact, I'm excited. I've killed three good bucks in drizzle rain. They may lay low in a driving rain but will move more and later in light rain. WT are crepuscular and feel comfortable in dim light conditions.

up

Have seen pretty good movement in light rain

#6008988 - 11/03/15 03:23 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I bought a camo rainsuit for last week but didn't need it. I sense I'll be breaking it in Saturday. I like the 'rifle in a trashbag' idea.

#6009030 - 11/03/15 03:44 PM Re: Rain...What To Do and Tactics [Re: texaghunt]
DHS274 Offline
Woodsman

I will sit in my home made ground blind and hope the bucks are off the night crawler routine. Rain is good, gets bucks out to refresh their grounds scrapes. Always like it after a rain, except when the camera shows they came through at 2 am to refresh that scrape. Rain and rut normally mean movement where I hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide