Print Thread
Breeder Stock #6008336 11/03/15 04:11 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
I'm still years away from being ready for animals, so while I'm still working on clearing my fence line I like to work on a list of possible sources to get my breeder stock from. One of the things that bothers me is seeing pictures of animals that in my opinion have racks based on an extreme protein diet that is only achievable by not allowing them to eat any browse in a dirt pen and only feeding them high protein food. From a few trusted sources, I also know that some animals are given steroid shots, and just about anything that will stimulate antler growth. To me, this makes it impossible to tell what their true genetics are in what I could expect from their offspring.

The reason for these comments is out of frustration from seeing pictures of an axis buck that looks like it's related to Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's so muscled up that the only thing I can believe is it's been given massive amounts of growth hormone and/or steroids. I understand buyer beware, and I also understand doing what it takes to make a living. I just wish there was a better source out there to find quality breeding stock that wasn't so highly modified.

Re: Breeder Stock [Re: EddieWalker] #6008431 11/03/15 05:00 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Yep, need an animal that can hit the ground 'working', not one that looks 'purty' cause it's been manipulated, pampered and over fed. Same thing happens when we buy breeding bulls. They take a hit when put them on our cows and actually start working.

Re: Breeder Stock [Re: EddieWalker] #6008477 11/03/15 05:29 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have stock in a 30 acre pasture that I can deliver to you when your ready. All they are fed is Safe-guard wormer twice a year, alfalfa hay, and protein feed from Fehners in Gonzales, TX(either with wormer in it or without, just general 20% protein), and general livestock mineral blocks. That's it. They have grazing in that pasture as well. The only shots we would give a animal would be a Vitamin B, injectable wormer, and of course whatever drug that we use to dart them. 99% of the time we are not darting out of this pasture. They are run through a long trap and into a barn where we sort them into the trailer or into cubicles inside the barn to seperate them.

That being said, there are a few out there that get into breeding them in WT breeder size pens, but I really don't see that as being cost effective to sell the exotics like axis and blackbuck. The top end value in comparison to other species just isn't there to make it worth it in my view. You would be better off to just raise WT in the same pen and make more money. But, some do it because they love axis or just love raising animals in the method.

I do agree with your point on the genetics. That is also why I don't do that method. Fallow and Red Deer are a little different and their genetic potential I have seen work using good breeding and husbandry practices. But from Axis, I just haven't seen it without some type of manipulation in those facilities.

There are a few sources to get animals from. Try Caffey Bar 6 Game Ranch - Terry and his son Dale are good to deal with. You may also try Rick Welch in Bastrop. He has been on this forum a time or two. Both of these I have bought animals from and I haven't had any kind or problem with their quality delivered or service.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Breeder Stock [Re: Curtis] #6008549 11/03/15 06:04 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Thank you. Trust me, when I get my fence up, I'm going to be the super annoying guy asking for referals on the animals I want, and comparing it to my list.

One thing that really shocked me about the whitetails is seeing the injection marks on their capes at the taxidermist. I would just be afraid to eat the meat on those animals. Seeing similar results on Axis Deer in there non typical antlers and massive muscle growth would also make me nervous about eating their meat.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide