Forums46
Topics537,809
Posts9,729,364
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6008248 11/03/15 03:17 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: therancher
Then by all means beat a hasty path to those other states. And hunt those public lands. I think it's a travesty that those states are mostly govt owned.

you don't have to jump so quick on the ahole bandwagon like a few here. I wouldn't be surprised if the state and federally owned land in Texas is similar % to the other states, yet why does Texas provide less access? In Kansas for example I don't think there is a huge % of public hunting land, but it seems like a bunch because they turn all the land around lakes and even roads/railroads into public access hunting. They also came up with a great program about 20 years ago where private land owners could get tax and other benefits by allowing public hunting access.

I'm a land owner plus willing to pay big money for other leases and outfitters, I'm honestly part of the problem there is less hunting opportunities for the working class. I see a solution if Texas would follow the lead of states like Kansas to make more existing government land accessible and then create a program for private land owners to offer public hunting.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008250 11/03/15 03:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ahh, hell.

How 'bout them Spurs!

Y'all go fix a Bloody Mary. I'm beggin' ya.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008263 11/03/15 03:28 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
TX has taken the private property model to the extreme. That's why we are "go to" state for exotics and artificial WTs.

I'm really not trying to make a policy statement with that, other than to point out that different models produce different results. Apparently the people of TX are OK with our model. IMO we have come too far for any sea change from a policy standpoint. The only agent for change will be if different attitudes result in a "bottom up" change reflected in the market. IMO the winds are beginning to blow in that direction.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Creekrunner] #6008265 11/03/15 03:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Ahh, hell.

How 'bout them Spurs!

Y'all go fix a Bloody Mary. I'm beggin' ya.

A little debate will wake you up too. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008292 11/03/15 03:42 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
private > state > government

i agree with this 100% and I think most Texans do too, but I think Texas can do a better job providing public access to public lands.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008307 11/03/15 03:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: therancher
Then by all means beat a hasty path to those other states. And hunt those public lands. I think it's a travesty that those states are mostly govt owned.

you don't have to jump so quick on the ahole bandwagon like a few here. I wouldn't be surprised if the state and federally owned land in Texas is similar % to the other states, yet why does Texas provide less access? In Kansas for example I don't think there is a huge % of public hunting land, but it seems like a bunch because they turn all the land around lakes and even roads/railroads into public access hunting. They also came up with a great program about 20 years ago where private land owners could get tax and other benefits by allowing public hunting access.

I'm a land owner plus willing to pay big money for other leases and outfitters, I'm honestly part of the problem there is less hunting opportunities for the working class. I see a solution if Texas would follow the lead of states like Kansas to make more existing government land accessible and then create a program for private land owners to offer public hunting.

We have the same public lease program in Texas as KS. The difference is we price out the state. If that makes sense.. When you get to western KS and the CRP walkin areas it's a whole different land valuation, segmentation and game densities.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008308 11/03/15 03:50 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
private > state > government

i agree with this 100% and I think most Texans do too, but I think Texas can do a better job providing public access to public lands.

That I concur with. Especially the federal land!!!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008346 11/03/15 04:18 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

This is a excellent but contentious topic!

How many private land permits should be issued to the LO and to the public?
In Texas the current answer is 100% and 0% but I understand the complaint that wildlife, like Bighorns, are basically state property and were reintroduced with both state and private resources. I think in Colorado the LO/public split for private land bighorn permits is 50/50 but there are new bills to move to 75/25. Here's a link: http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2432930#post2432930

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Whiptail] #6008365 11/03/15 04:30 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Whiptail

In Texas the current answer is 100% and 0% but I understand the complaint that wildlife, like Bighorns, are basically state property and were reintroduced with both state and private resources. I think in Colorado the LO/public split for private land bighorn permits is 50/50 but there are new bills to move to 75/25. Here's a link: http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2432930#post2432930

I don't think a private land owner should be forced to allow public hunts at all! I couldn't believe when I hunted Pronghorn in New Mexico that the ranch owners are forced to allow public hunting on their land.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Whiptail] #6008378 11/03/15 04:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Texas is actually 70/30- 80/20% depending on the year.

A tag is a tag. It's a mute topic because it doesn't grant access to private. Nor does it anywhere in the US with the exception of NM. But that's a small ranch program vs large ranch program. Large ranch get Ranch specific LO tags and Small Ranches enter drawing for a Unit wide tag, but doing so opens up your land to public hunting/access

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Whiptail] #6008379 11/03/15 04:37 PM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F

50/50,or 60/40 would both be a good plan. I dont want to take the LO tags or the finacial incentive provided to land owners away completely, just make the system a little more fair

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008382 11/03/15 04:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I don't think a private land owner should be forced to allow public hunts at all! I couldn't believe when I hunted Pronghorn in New Mexico that the ranch owners are forced to allow public hunting on their land.

They aren't forced they opted for that via entering unit wide tag drawning.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008387 11/03/15 04:40 PM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F

No not forced. If they want to participate in the landowner tag program and reap the finacial rewards they have to allow access for a certian number of draw tag holders. Sounds pretty fair to me. No one is making them, theres just a a big incintive if they allow access

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008406 11/03/15 04:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: fishdog

No not forced. If they want to participate in the landowner tag program and reap the finacial rewards they have to allow access for a certian number of draw tag holders. Sounds pretty fair to me. No one is making them, theres just a a big incintive if they allow access

Unit tag not ranch specific. Big difference

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008415 11/03/15 04:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: fishdog

50/50,or 60/40 would both be a good plan. I dont want to take the LO tags or the finacial incentive provided to land owners away completely, just make the system a little more fair

It's funny you read that and find out that some of those Ranches paid 100% of the cost associated with building a big horn sheep herd from scratch and now every one wants access to those tags...... Those ranches paid 100% of all costs.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008419 11/03/15 04:52 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
There are usually 8-12 LO tags per year. They fluctuate in price with the economy but have been running about $80-85K the past few years.

Seems kind of silly to say but in the world of Desert Bighorn hunting that is the best bang for your buck going today considering the quality of rams Texas consistently produces. You can get some Mexico hunts in the 50-60K range but the quality overall on those hunts cannot match Texas'. There are big rams in Mexico (Tiburon Island, Carmen Island, etc) but those hunts are well into the six figures.

The man to call if you want access to a prime LO tag and guide who knows his stuff on TX Desert Bighorn hunting is Larry Altimus. Just Google Altimus Adventures. Pretty sure there is a 3-4 year backlog on tag availability.

AGREED contact Larry

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008428 11/03/15 04:58 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

same thing, if you want to privately take Pronghorn you have to allow public to take some too.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008436 11/03/15 05:03 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

same thing, if you want to privately take Pronghorn you have to allow public to take some too.

From my understanding it two separate systems. Large ranch- Ranch specific tag vs Small ranch Unit wide tag. Unit wide tag drawing makes your ranch open to public access if you enter the drawing.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008451 11/03/15 05:14 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
From my understanding it two separate systems. Large ranch- Ranch specific tag vs Small ranch Unit wide tag. Unit wide tag drawing makes your ranch open to public access if you enter the drawing.

when I hunted there with Wildlife Systems all the clients hunted on single ranch that was leased from owner. we had to deal with public hunters and the public hunters got first opportunity. maybe land owner can get a minimum amount of tags without allowing public, only when you want more for an outfitter it requires you also do public.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008461 11/03/15 05:17 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
It took 3 pages before "exotics" were injected into this post duel which had nothing to due with "exotics". Next time let's go for 4,5,6 cheerleader

Last edited by SheepHunter; 11/03/15 05:18 PM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008466 11/03/15 05:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

when I hunted there with Wildlife Systems all the clients hunted on single ranch that was leased from owner. we had to deal with public hunters and the public hunters got first opportunity. maybe land owner can get a minimum amount of tags without allowing public, only when you want more for an outfitter it requires you also do public.

Was your tag ranch specific or unit specific?

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: LuckyHunter] #6008806 11/03/15 08:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
It took 3 pages before "exotics" were injected into this post duel which had nothing to due with "exotics". Next time let's go for 4,5,6 cheerleader

therancher did so, not me. Trophy animals from "all over the world".

Just to make the record clear in case there was any confusion. Carry on.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008883 11/03/15 08:39 PM
T
TTT Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
My mothers side of my family has gotten a LO tag almost every year for the past 8 years. One guy bought the tag a few years ago and wounded one that was never found so he bought the tag the next year and got one.

Last edited by David Taylor Construction; 11/03/15 08:43 PM.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008917 11/03/15 08:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't even get your point unless you are trying to start a debate on some other subject. There's no "spin". The U.S. and state conservation agencies are charged with re-populating and managing native animals. They don't have anything to do with exotics.

How many states do you think regulate or have had seasons on introduced "exotics"? Some even have limited annual draws and seasons still today on "exotics".

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008977 11/03/15 09:18 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I am still trying to figure out what a "Artificial WT" is

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide