Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,699
Posts9,727,891
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout #5996569 10/27/15 03:20 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
This was written this morning. Figured it would be cool to attend, but really wanted to share it, because it is for a great foundation and a great incentive if you out shoot Taya.

Originally Posted By: Outdoor Wire

Wife of American Sniper Takes on World-Renowned Shooting Champion for $1 Million to Benefit Chris Kyle Frog Foundation

Mason, Texas (October 27, 2015) – Billed as the shootout of the century, Taya Kyle will use TrackingPoint's Precision-Guided Firearms to take on reigning NRA World Shooting Champion Bruce Piatt in the inaugural American Sniper Shootout. If the champ wins against Taya and the TrackingPoint system, he will take home the $ 1 million prize.

The landmark event is set for Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015 in Mason, Texas, with proceeds benefiting the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation. Sponsors are already planning to make the American Sniper Shootout an annual event.

The American Sniper Shootout is the first of its kind to pit a novice shooter armed with yet to be announced military-grade TrackingPoint systems against the best in the world in a head-to-head competition featuring the types of shots routinely encountered by soldiers in battle. TrackingPoint's new products will be announced on November 4th. World Champion Bruce Piatt will compete using current military squad-level and sniper firearms.

"I am a novice shooter," said Taya Kyle, wife of Chris Kyle, the most prolific sniper in American history. "When I shoot TrackingPoint guns, I feel Chris's spirit in my hands. Chris would be proud to know that every soldier now has the power to dominate any adversary, and it's even better that this event benefits military service men and women, veterans, first responders and their families through the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation."

TrackingPoint's Precision-Guided Firearms instantly transform inexperienced shooters into world-class marksmen, and the competition will validate the claim, staking $1 million on Taya out-shooting the champ. "This is all about helping our veterans and their families," said Bruce Piatt, "This may be the most exciting competition ever and if TrackingPoint guns perform as advertised our soldiers have a dominant overmatch capability."

Chris Kyle had an early influence on the development of TrackingPoint guns. In a chance encounter with the American Sniper in 2009, TrackingPoint Founder and CEO John McHale and Kyle explored the nuances of precision shooting and the possibility of building a gun that would change the face of war.

"Chris and I went back-and-forth on how to make everyone an extraordinary shooter," said McHale. "We were both excited, realizing it was entirely possible to give our troops insurmountable squad-overmatch capability. We knew we were on to a world-changing idea. That was the day TrackingPoint was born."

The American Sniper Shootout is comprised of a series of common shots encountered in war at unknown distances on static and moving targets. Shooting positions include prone, off-hand and blind shots in which the shooter is completely hidden and unable to directly see targets. Scoring is weighted based on degree of difficulty.

"We want people to know that TrackingPoint Precision-Guided Firearms can save our soldiers' lives and protect our nation," said McHale. "And, this event is designed to let our enemies know what's in store for them when they come up against American forces."

The day-long event in Mason is open to the public and includes a music festival featuring country superstar Easton Corbin, nine time Grammy winner Asleep At the Wheel, the Scooter Brown Band, and Donica Knight, a rising country star with pure southern style.

To purchase tickets, go to www.americansnipershootout.com.

About Chris Kyle Frog Foundation
The mission of the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation is to serve those who serve us by providing meaningful, interactive experiences that enrich family relationships. The CKFF achieves this through experiences that provide time and space to reconnect after deployment without the distractions of everyday life, power to return to the "family unit," and new common ground after military involvement. For more information, visit www.chriskylefrogfoundation.org

About TrackingPoint
TrackingPoint, based in Austin, Texas, created the first Precision-Guided Firearm, a revolutionary new shooting system that puts fighter jet lock-and-launch technology in small arms, enabling shooters to make shots previously considered beyond human ability. To learn more, visit www.tracking-point.com.

About Bruce Piatt
Bruce Piatt is the reigning NRA World Champion Shooter. Bruce also recently won his first Heavy Metal Optics Division at the FNH-USA 3-Gun Championship in September 2015. Since 1989, Bruce has been a successful Professional Sponsored Shooter, a respected Police Firearms Instructor, and a determined competitor in NRA Action, Tactical 3-Gun, Sportsman Team Challenge, Masters, or whatever shooting game he sets his mind to. Piatt is the founder of Bruce Piatt Training Concepts, offering police, military and civilian shooting instruction and offers Custom 1911 build by hand gunsmith classes.

Admin or Mods, If I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize. Please move to the correct area.

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #5996571 10/27/15 03:21 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Jason, what do you think? Perhaps you should give it a shot, pun intended.

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #5997661 10/28/15 01:09 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think my money is on Mr.Piatt.

The last time I looked at the system it took several seconds for it to range a target, come up with a correction, and show the shooter where to aim. It did nothing to address wind, and last I checked we are not shooting on the moon. Ovserving grass, bushes, trees, and mirage at various distances throughout the range matter, and I don't see how any technology can replace the experienced shooter in judging wind. The distance is the easy part, the wind is where the eyes, the experience, and the gut come it. Also, the shooter still needs to hold still, keep the scope/ rifle level, provide good trigger control, and ensure follow through. Those things cannot be manufactured, ever!

I'd love to shoot with them, it would be a good time, even if I didn't come in first. wink

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6003223 10/31/15 02:49 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
They seemed to have improved the system from my most recent hearing second hand from my boss.
He went out a few months ago with one of the investors who has the .308 AR Tracking Point system and he called me while they were playing with it.
I was in Waco and he was in Austin but both places were experiencing high winds that day 15-25 MPH gusty conditions. I asked him to shoot it at long range and let me know how he did expecting the varible winds to really be a tough factor ANd more importantly he is NOT a marksman at all. Like missing standing still hogs at 30 yards.
He made a first shot hit at 850 yards on a steel target just propping on the hood of the truck. Impressed me.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: DStroud] #6003327 10/31/15 04:12 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How in the world does it address wind down range?

What does the scope cost?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6003874 10/31/15 11:34 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Not sure it can.
You cannot buy the scope but since the AR platform its sits on cost about 1500.00 the scope runs 10 grand.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6004200 11/01/15 04:59 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
$10K is the cheap model.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6004340 11/01/15 01:32 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
$10K is the cheap model.

So for $10k you get a scope that will show you your point of aim for elevation based on a ballistic calculator?

If only there were a cheaper way...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6004526 11/01/15 03:39 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not exactly. The rifle/scope do a lot more, but still not enough to warrant the cost, IMHO.

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6004734 11/01/15 05:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have a friend that has on he shoots off his 2nd story balcony, he told me he has hit crows and coyotes over 900 yards and it is almost too easy. Has some kind of "double trigger thingy", first pull locks target and sets ballistics, second pull fires, or something like that. He said it is almost scary accurate. I believe it some how calculates wind at the rifle, next time I speak with him, I will ask. He is a somewhat private type, but he shouldn't mind me asking those questions.

I know he won't hunt big game with it though.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6004779 11/01/15 06:07 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I believe it some how calculates wind at the rifle,

Apparently, that would be magic possessed by nobody else anywhere. However, after speaking with the folks at TP at the Dallas Safari Club show, they told me that the wind parameters must be assessed by the shooter and then input into the system which then makes the corrections accordingly.

The double trigger thingy you described takes out the trigger jerk problem or consistent trigger pull issue. After tagging the target, the shooter can pull the trigger and keep it depressed and when the crosshairs pass back over the tagged spot, the gun discharges.

The system does assess several other environmental factors such as rifle positioning in all 3 dimensions, Coriolis effect, elevation, barometric pressure, etc. in determining the firing solution.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 11/01/15 06:19 PM.

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6004792 11/01/15 06:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
That makes sense and is parallel to what he was saying, when we where talking about it, I hadn't even heard of the system before. He had it custom built somewhere around Austin iirc and they arent cheap!

The way you describe the rigger function, is almost 100% the way he explained it, I assumed the shooter would have to add the estimated or recorded windage. According to my short conversation with him, it is much faster than you'd expect, once you figure it out. He has it where he can mount it on some kind of tripod on the deck. Said it was a blast to shoot though. I forgot the caliber, but it was BIG.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6004823 11/01/15 06:39 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
I believe it some how calculates wind at the rifle,

Apparently, that would be magic possessed by nobody else anywhere. However, after speaking with the folks at TP at the Dallas Safari Club show, they told me that the wind parameters must be assessed by the shooter and then input into the system which then makes the corrections accordingly.

The double trigger thingy you described takes out the trigger jerk problem or consistent trigger pull issue. After tagging the target, the shooter can pull the trigger and keep it depressed and when the crosshairs pass back over the tagged spot, the gun discharges.

The system does assess several other environmental factors such as rifle positioning in all 3 dimensions, Coriolis effect, elevation, barometric pressure, etc. in determining the firing solution.

So nothing has changed that the shooter has to estimate wind down range. More times than I can remember has the wind been one thing where I am, and something entirely different down range. That is where reading mirage comes in.

Tirgger control is easily learned. Same as holding still is easily learned.

Environmental factors can be added to the equation via a $9.95 app, or a $560 Kestrel with Horus or Applied Ballistics. Coriolis should be ignored. The error is so tiny that wind is the bigger problem.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6005935 11/02/15 12:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Right, it does not do wind, but all the other stuff you mentioned above that the shooter must do, the system does do.

My guess is that for the competition, they will get to have spotters and Kyle's will be one who can read the wind for her.

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6073992 12/09/15 02:03 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/12/0...ksman-shootout/

The technology must work somewhat, seems she tripled his score and hit with 100% accuracy, where the champ hit 58%. Definitely interesting.

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6074126 12/09/15 03:11 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/12/07/american-sniper-widow-taya-kyle-outshoots-nra-champion.html

I don't think the issue has ever been if the technology worked somewhat. It does. The problems have been QC of the product to consumers. http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/8764611/tracking-point-rifle-company

No wonder she scored better. Some of the skills tests did not all Priat to actually look through his own scope. When one of the tests is shooting the rifle which is on the other side of a wall from you and you can only put your arms through the wall, that isn't exactly matching the shooter's against one another. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/12/07/american-sniper-widow-taya-kyle-outshoots-nra-champion.html

To be comparable, they would have needed a stage where no electricity was allowed. No doubt, TP would fail that stage, right?

Glad they raised money, but it was a rigged competition from the start.

So basically, the competition was at least partially rigged to exploit things that TP could do that a regular scoped rifle could not do without having comparable tests to the contrary. So aside what was mentioned in the video, I have to wonder how many other advantages were afforded the TP side of the compeition that were not afforded Priat and the standard rifle

Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Skylar Mac] #6074203 12/09/15 03:47 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
To be comparable, they would have needed a stage where no electricity was allowed. No doubt, TP would fail that stage, right?

So, pairing an amateur shooter vs an accomplished shooter would be comparable? With the same equipment, absolutely the more experienced shooter wins. This was not a question of that, it was a question if you could take someone off the streets(no offense to Mrs Kyle) with this technology and go against the best marksmen in the world. TP would be stupid not to at least rig this some way or another. Are they going to take a chance at looking like fools while trying to sell a $20K product? I think it's a cool technology. It's cost prohibitive for me, but for those that have the means, more power to them.

TP showcased it's capabilities and raised money for a great organization. I won't hate on them for that.

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: Announcement: TrackingPoint & Taya Kyle Unite for First Ever $1M American Sniper Shootout [Re: Scooterb] #6075763 12/10/15 01:39 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Scooterb

So, pairing an amateur shooter vs an accomplished shooter would be comparable? With the same equipment, absolutely the more experienced shooter wins. This was not a question of that, it was a question if you could take someone off the streets(no offense to Mrs Kyle) with this technology and go against the best marksmen in the world. TP would be stupid not to at least rig this some way or another. Are they going to take a chance at looking like fools while trying to sell a $20K product? I think it's a cool technology. It's cost prohibitive for me, but for those that have the means, more power to them.

TP showcased it's capabilities and raised money for a great organization. I won't hate on them for that.

So you think its rigged? popcorn

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide