Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: Savage388] #6012735 11/05/15 07:27 PM
Bbcat78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
i started with my dad at age 5 and shot my first deer at 6. We hunted together till i was 18 or so and those are some of the best memories I have of him and hunting. We would continue to hunt toegether off and on until he passed in 2010. Never to early to get them started and start making memories of a lifetime

Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: txshntr] #6013542 11/06/15 02:03 AM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Squirrel Sniper
Is 3 too young for my daughter to tag along deer hunting?

Absolutely not!!! My daughter has been going with my since she was 3 and was involved when she was still 2. You have to remember at that age their attention span is shorter and the hunt (experience) is not about you, it is all about them. My daughter just turned 7 and can't wait to go back. The day after we get home, she will start asking when we are leaving again.

As far as "how old to shoot", that is up to the parent and kid IMO. It is important for me that my kids understand the how and why of hunting instead of going through the motions. There are a lot of lessons that can be taught in the field. We both will know when they are ready.

^^ this...no sense retyping pretty much the same thing. I would add, it doesn't hurt a thing to take them out and both of you just watch, take some pics and enjoy the moment.

I have seen young kids that go hunting and shoot deer at our place each year. They don't have the respect or desire that I want to see in my kids before they pull the trigger. For some, it seems that the finality has no meaning, it is simply what you do when you go hunting.

I say get them out there as early as possible and just have fun.

Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: Savage388] #6013793 11/06/15 03:55 AM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
My son has been hunting with me since he was 4 years old and now he is 10 and a very good shot and has killed 8 deer over the years. I will let him hunt alone when I think in my mind he is responsible enough to handle hunting alone. No way in hell am I letting a 10 year old run around the wood with a high powered rifle. I don't care if he was born with a gun in his hand and has shot a ton of animals they are still kids and don't think clearly at times. If a gun miss fires what goes through their head and how would they handle that situation? Do the check the gun by looking down the barrel or open it up to look? We would not know b/c we are not there and got lucky nothing happened who knows. I teach my son these situations and would like to think I covered them all on what to do how to point your gun and when to load and unload but to a 10 year old on his own who knows just not going to take that chance just yet. To each his own on this b/c every kid is different, but he is my only child and I would not want anything to happen to him by rushing him to be on his own hunting he has plenty of time to grow up and prove himself until then I will enjoy the time in the blind with him. Plus we have greAt time together.

Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: Savage388] #6014328 11/06/15 03:10 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
I started taking my oldest when he turned 3 and can't leave him behind ever since.. Bought his first license this year at the age of 6. hes not ready to shoot, but he loves having the $7 license in his pocket to complete his hunting attire.
My youngest is now 3 and in no way is he ready to go.. We wouldn't make it 10 min.

I don't think I started sitting by myself until I was 12-13 years old. Every kid is different.

Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: Savage388] #6014515 11/06/15 04:56 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Savage388
I remember being pretty young sitting alone (maybe as young as 7).

cheers very impressive... 2cents That been many years ago, different state, different type hunting... Parents, aunts & uncles... Did the hunting... Do remember going ta Grandparents going out on lakes on a pontoon fishing for sunfish, & the icefishing in the winter at that age, just being a kid to busy playing... flag
Edit: rofl do remember at bout that age, bro's & i getten on them thar HF wild hogs getten thrown & haven ta cowboyup & get back on... Ma & pa wouldn't let me carry my slinger pistal... So when they called me caveman & the hogs gonna getcha, when got on first lease, cause of the 24-7-365 hunting... Did my own thing, huntsolo wondering about the woods with slinger pistal on me hip flashlight off... rofl High-tech has made it much safer... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 11/06/15 05:27 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Hunting with your kid [Re: HuntnFly67] #6014803 11/06/15 07:36 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Mine turns 4 in January. He went one afternoon with me when he was almost 3 last season. I've taken him for two afternoon sits already this year:

Mom and I have discussed to not start him on a Red Ryder for AT LEAST a full year and I might even wait until dove season 2017. RIGHT NOW I can't imagine him being ready to sit solo with a deer rifle at 9.

I hunted solo last night and apparently I didn't bother to unpack my backpack from my last hunting trip. I laughed out loud when I looked in my backpack and it was full with Dusty Crophopper and RipSlinger, Iron Man and Captain America, apple sauce, water, and of course animal crackers.

This is exactly how I started. Barely old enough to remember but my first year i took my toy (Fake) Red Ryder. I was 4. My dad would let me 'shoot' the 'deer' which was really just me shooting blanks out the window. I loved it and I think that's really what made me love hunting so much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide