Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Most memorable lease/memory? #6004265 11/01/15 12:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Found out from my brother (that's still on the place) that the ranch is up for sale that I was on for many years, since I was about 16 (1976). My dad found the place originally and it was the kind of lease that a man looks for for a long time. I think he realized it was that kind of place. 3160 acres. Asking $17M.

Some of my memories:
-Two of my daughter's first buck kills and the smiles on their young faces.
-My brother acting all nonchalant when he stopped to pick me up and seeing the high,14pt., extremely rare kind of hill country buck in the bed.
-A friend and my brother calling my misses as I blazed away at "a buck too far" and the ridge forever after named "Artillery Ridge".
-My dad burying the little '66 Bronco in the creek, trying to get to me and a buck I'd shot.
-Cruising around with a friend that's more like a brother, looking for deer, and yes...drinking beer!
-Riding with the owner up to his house and catching his wife (who's just a few years older than me) in their garden, buck nekid.
-Fast-forward a few years and recently divorced me having supper at owner's house, owner late and not there, wine flowing, wife telling me their marriage is failing, asking how the sex was with the ex, telling me what a mean drunk he is and, probably with a guardian angel's help, my lonely self finally waking up to the idea that this could end with a bullet in my arse!

What are some of your best memories on a place?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004275 11/01/15 12:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Some of my best lease memories come from when I was a teenager learning how to hunt with my father-in-law and several of my wife's uncles. It was a time long before food plots and feeders when any deer taken was considered a real trophy.

I'll never forget the time we were all bunked in an old farm house and one of the men told me to throw some more wood in the fireplace. Not knowing any better, I grabbed an arm full of lighter knot and tossed it in. In a few minutes, we all felt like we were being roasted from the resulting blaze.

I'll also never forget the time my father-in-law and I had to pole out a buck he had taken far back in the woods. ATV's didn't exist in those days.

And say what you want, but there is nothing like the excitement of hearing the yaps and yells of approaching hounds and a couple of your fellow lease members driving a deer towards you.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004373 11/01/15 01:46 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
No lease, open hunting. Going with dad leaning against a tree falling to sleep in his lap. First deer, gut shot, he made me clean it, never forget the smell. Having breakfast at camp, snow all around, coffee made by just throwing the coffee in the boiling water with egg shells. Standing around the truck bs and deer walks out no guns ready.
Not just deer hunting but all the adventures with dad and friends.

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004480 11/01/15 02:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Creek.....was she hot?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: txtrophy85] #6004504 11/01/15 03:16 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Creek.....was she hot?
In a goat-roper/hippie sort of way.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004600 11/01/15 04:22 PM
J
jakebunch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
That sounds like "not really", unless you are deep into the wine!

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004629 11/01/15 04:44 PM
D
duk4me Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Found out from my brother (that's still on the place) that the ranch is up for sale that I was on for many years, since I was about 16 (1976). My dad found the place originally and it was the kind of lease that a man looks for for a long time. I think he realized it was that kind of place. 3160 acres. Asking $17M.

Some of my memories:
-Two of my daughter's first buck kills and the smiles on their young faces.
-My brother acting all nonchalant when he stopped to pick me up and seeing the high,14pt., extremely rare kind of hill country buck in the bed.
-A friend and my brother calling my misses as I blazed away at "a buck too far" and the ridge forever after named "Artillery Ridge".
-My dad burying the little '66 Bronco in the creek, trying to get to me and a buck I'd shot.
-Cruising around with a friend that's more like a brother, looking for deer, and yes...drinking beer!
-Riding with the owner up to his house and catching his wife (who's just a few years older than me) in their garden, buck nekid.
-Fast-forward a few years and recently divorced me having supper at owner's house, owner late and not there, wine flowing, wife telling me their marriage is failing, asking how the sex was with the ex, telling me what a mean drunk he is and, probably with a guardian angel's help, my lonely self finally waking up to the idea that this could end with a bullet in my arse!

What are some of your best memories on a place?

You were on my fantasy lease.

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004656 11/01/15 04:57 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
My first lease was on the Llano river. An old farmhouse a cranky old German LO. Fishing for catfish in the summer. Sleeping in the stand. Shooting turkey in the front yard. Brown water. Meeting Bob Ramsey at the hunters ball in Junction. Wonderful times. Then there was the time at Davy Crockett national forest when my buddy found these little mushroom thingys...Ru-ro.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004695 11/01/15 05:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Crap CR, you make my hunting stories seem dull, never ran into nekkid wimmins out hunting. I can't think of anything good off the top of my head bang

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004707 11/01/15 05:24 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Then there was the time my brother and I hunted the Allen ranch near Ranger. New guy on the lease brought his hot Wife. She worked for Coors and would bring lots of extra beer. I'm talking to new guy, he's looking at me and his Wife is behind him, she squats and pulls her britches down and starts peeing right in front of me and he had no clue. She giggled, pulled her panties up and he never knew...

Don't text and drive.
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6004713 11/01/15 05:27 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
EK, that is because Coors goes right through a body peep

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6005847 11/02/15 05:42 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
We had a family deer lease south of Sonora. I got to go on the last year we had it. It was the only time I got to hunt with all my uncles and granddad at the same time. My dad is still with us but the rest are long gone, I still treasure those days.

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6006030 11/02/15 01:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Copperhead, sorry for your loss. Thats what hunting is really about, spending time with friends and family.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: copperhead] #6006052 11/02/15 01:59 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: copperhead
We had a family deer lease south of Sonora. I got to go on the last year we had it. It was the only time I got to hunt with all my uncles and granddad at the same time. My dad is still with us but the rest are long gone, I still treasure those days.

I'm sure it was one of your granddad's greatest memories too.

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6006243 11/02/15 03:49 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I remember my Dad taking a spike to help us out on our game management goals. The next day, from the same stand, within 20' of the first deer, he took another spike. I have a picture somewhere of him kneeling next to a small oak with both bucks in the tree.

I remember Dad sticking his truck in a gully. The marks where visible for 10 years afterwards.

A friend I brought down buried his truck taking a 'short-cut'. The tow truck driver spent 4 hours getting his rig pulled out.

Making my first long range shot on a game animal (637 yards w/ a 25-06) that was witnessed and measured.

My gf at the time took her gf off to do some hiking on a hill we called 'The Mountain'. I went looking for them to take them to town for dinner and found the friend starkers.

A friend and myself spent a day fishing the lake on the property. We had a great morning catching 20 nice black bass. We went up to camp and ate lunch and when we came back the turtles had eaten 5 of the bass. The remaining stringer we put in a cooler and took to my friend's Dad's store and weighed them. The 15 remaining fish weighed nearly 60 lbs. The largest two were 8 lbs each.

Lot of memories on that property. LO passed away about 4 years ago and the land finally sold. The 1060 acres we had went for more than 3 mil.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6006283 11/02/15 04:15 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
When I was about 20, we put a Boone's bottle filled with gasoline in the camp fire and stood back with binocs. First, it started lightly boiling. Then it started furiously boiling. The the pressure popped a little pin hole in the cap and a flame shot about 6 feet in the air. Then the whole thing exploded and it was like a mini-nuclear bomb going off. Full mushroom cloud that slowly lifted, burning in the air. Completely scorched a tree branch about 20 feet up. (yes, I realize this is incredibly stupid. my 20-yr-old self didn't)

Also used to put cans of baked beans in the fire still sealed shut. Sound like bombs when they go off, and often times the can shoots upwards like a rocket. When you've had a few, it's hilarious. Not as funny the next morning when you have beans covering everything for 100 yard radius. But still worth it.

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6006402 11/02/15 05:15 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
All were on a lease I lost 2 years ago. Every kid in the family killed their first there and with me. My little sis and me looking at 2 different bucks and her accidentally shooting a 130's 11 point 3 yr old buck as her first ever deer. whip flame
My boy having doe fever so bad he couldn't talk for stuttering. Me and momma "hunting" in the far blind while the kids stayed at camp. The weekends with just me and momma there....not much hunting happened. My son roping an old feral ram that ran the place, then looking at me first happy...I did it, then oh chit now what.... roflmao

Making new memories everyday on the new place....

Re: Most memorable lease/memory? [Re: Creekrunner] #6006460 11/02/15 05:47 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
We used to be on a lease in Jack county. I was in 5th grade and dad pulled me out of school every Friday for 4 weeks straight because we were hunting a specific buck for me to take for my first deer. On the fourth Saturday I finally shot the big 10 we were looking for. Then on the way back to the camper we saw a big ol hog. So the next morning we set up right where we saw him on the edge of a hill, and I popped him as well. Hard to forget your first deer, and even harder to forget dad pulling me out of school early 4 weeks in a row(I hated school). Wouldn't trade all the times spent with my dad hunting for a single thing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide