Print Thread
Bore inspection?? #6003403 10/31/15 05:17 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Saw the thread below on offering Chrono service for a fee.

I would pay a reasonable, per rifle fee for the use of a bore scope with picture capabilities?

Anyone offer this in the North Dallas area? aim

Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6003801 10/31/15 10:45 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You'll have better luck getting somebody to do it for you, most bore-scope owners won't rent or lend them out. They are delicate, and the good ones are pricey.

I charge 25 bucks for a bore-scope inspection and report, and five bucks extra if you want a CD with the images on it. Mine is one of the good ones, a Gradient Hawkeye that takes videos or stills, straight ahead or at 90 degrees, looking right at the lands and grooves. The stills are really the most useful.

Unfortunately, I am about 600 miles away from NTX, out in the WTX mountains.

Here's a pic from my Browning BLR in .308 Winchester. Click the image to see it bigger. This barrel is as smooth as a baby's butt.

My old 98 Mauser that somebody shot corrosive ammo in... It looks a lot like a sewer pipe, currently in use.

Last edited by charlesb; 11/01/15 12:04 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6004796 11/01/15 06:19 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Yep, wish you were close !!! exactly what I'm looking for.

I think my precision rifles are clean, would love to see how clean...

Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: charlesb] #6005126 11/01/15 10:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
My old 98 Mauser that somebody shot corrosive ammo in... It looks a lot like a sewer pipe, currently in use.

While today's ammo may not be as corrosive as in years past, moisture is still the worst enemy. And any powder residue left in a gun barrel is going to hold and collect moisture, especially in the outdoors. After all, why do we coat the outside surfaces of our firearms with a good protectant? It adds a barrier between the metal and moisture.

So then, if it wouldn't make sense to leave powder or some other residue on the outside surfaces of your firearm even though you felt it wasn't corrosive, why leave it inside your barrel for months or years on end?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6005250 11/01/15 11:45 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Honest question, what would you do if you had a gun with a rough looking bore but it shoots well?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: TDK] #6005293 11/02/15 12:05 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TDK
Honest question, what would you do if you had a gun with a rough looking bore but it shoots well?

I had that happen - and I shot that gun a lot.

The borescope is a diagnostic tool, more than anything. If something is wrong, a lot of times you can see where the problem lies, or see signs of the problem. ( Heat cracking, washed-out neck area, signs of gas leakage, corrosion etc..)

Here's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, a Savage model 16 in 243 Winchester:

It looks like corrugated iron. (Button rifling tool chatter.)- Judging by the picture, who would guess that the thing would produce dime-sized five-shot groups at 100 yards?

So no matter what it looks like, if it shoots well - that's the main thing.

Also: Note that I keep my guns squeaky clean - and tend to get very good accuracy, more often than not. The key there is a consistent bore condition. Some go for a consistent level of dirtiness with fouling shots, I go for a consistent level of cleanliness - no fouling shots required.

People who think that a patch or a bronze bore brush is going to affect barrel steel more than a bullet being shoved through it by an explosion at several thousand feet per second have over-active imaginations. I use a bore guide and a one-piece stainless steel cleaning rod, and clean the gun when it comes home from an outing whether it needs it or not. If you don't let the crud build up, it's pretty easy to keep the barrel clean.

Last edited by charlesb; 11/02/15 12:19 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: charlesb] #6005354 11/02/15 12:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Also: Note that I keep my guns squeaky clean - and tend to get very good accuracy, more often than not. The key there is a consistent bore condition. Some go for a consistent level of dirtiness with fouling shots, I go for a consistent level of cleanliness - no fouling shots required.

The need for a fouling shot through a clean barrel might be as much to remove oil as it is to leave consistent residue. I have seen great first shot accuracy with clean barrels after I started using Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube as the final pass when cleaning the barrels of my rifles. It's a dry lube that scored very near the top of corrosion protection tests.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6005656 11/02/15 02:35 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Don't matter what they look like it matters how they shoot. It can be a great tool for seeing how clean you are getting or seeing if you have a problem. However, I've seen a barrel cracked and looked like crap and it shot awesome. So they aren't the final answer.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6005721 11/02/15 03:22 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
all i want from mine is to hit that specific
brown patch of hair from a cold bore, one shot.
if the bore looks like crap on a china plate, ok.
i've never been able to hit zero with an oily
bore from anything i ever had. if someone does,
well i'm sincerely glad for them. the rest of
us will have to run dry patches to remove the
oil and fire foul and zero check shots before
we head afield if we are to be ethical hunters.

Re: Bore inspection?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6007369 11/03/15 01:36 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I do not consider an oily bore to be clean. - It's oily.

My guns do not sit around long between shooting, I shoot once a week, sometimes two or three times a week. If I'm storing something I coat the bore with Renaissance wax, which protects better than oil and removes easily when its time to go shooting again. It doesn't gum up like oil and turn into some kind of thick, obnoxious goo that attracts and holds dirt, etc..

When I lived near the coast I worried about corrosion a lot more than I do now, high up in the mountains and 500 miles inland.

Heading for the range or heading out to hunt my rifle barrel will be clean, nothing in there but steel and air.

Last edited by charlesb; 11/03/15 01:39 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide