Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Precision Rifle Hunters Class #6002626 10/31/15 12:22 AM
Brandon S. Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
This is a quick shot out to Jason @ Precision Rifle Hunters.

I took Jason’s class today and even with the inclement weather he had me hitting targets out to 800 yards in no time flat! Jason is an awesome shooting instructor and I can enthusiastically give his class two thumbs up. Prior to today I had never shot a rifle past three hundred yards, which as promised by Jason seems like no big deal anymore!

Thanks again Jason, I had a great time!

Brandon

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6002842 10/31/15 02:37 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Pleasure having you out, Brandon. Thank you for the kind review, and come back soon!

And you brought a dang fine shooting Tikka! 2" spread at 700 yards up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6002915 10/31/15 03:39 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Dang yall did that today?? Freaking troopers!! It rained like cats and dogs all day in Sherman couldn't have been much better in Wolff City.

[Linked Image]

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6002922 10/31/15 03:49 AM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Wish we had something like that down in Webb. Been wanting to try it out but our local range only has up to 300 yards and I can't do much shooting on my place anymore since all the hippies moved in around us.

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6002927 10/31/15 03:57 AM
Brandon S. Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Jason said it was a bit "sporty" today but I had a few other words in my head while shooting the 800 yard target! We had plenty of wind but the rain was intermittent and not too heavy most of the day.

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003091 10/31/15 01:01 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
2" at 700yds??? dang that's a fine shooting Tikka

sure you didn't thread on a custom barrel?? clap

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: KRoyal] #6003182 10/31/15 02:24 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Rained most of the day, and the wind held at 10 mph and gusted to 20. It was a head wind and I hate a head wind. I told Brandon we could reschedule for next week, but he didn't want to he was looking forward to it so much. I'm down if you're down, so we flung lead all day in a storm.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003286 10/31/15 03:29 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
up Way to hang in that weather!! I need to do that, just to see what my Sako is made of and worth using for LR.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003287 10/31/15 03:31 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Of course a Sako will get it done. As long as you feed it ammo it likes and you have the proper scope on top of it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003310 10/31/15 03:53 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Jason, really like your site, I don't recall it looking like that before? looks sharp man up

My Sako we discussed last fall, "seems" to be tight as is, not sure if I need a good smith to tweak it though, like check float and whatever else is normally done to accurize it. I have stretched it to just over 400 ,longest with this rifle on an elk and it was spot on. Also would have to upgrade my scope IMO, to do the class.

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003315 10/31/15 04:00 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: Western
Jason, really like your site, I don't recall it looking like that before? looks sharp man up.

smile smile up

[Linked Image]

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003321 10/31/15 04:07 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
KRoyal is in charge of the site now. He does good work!

Grab a dollar bill and see if it passes all the way to the recoil lug. If you have a bipod, attach it to the front sling stud and bump the legs up to something sturdy. You need another person, push the rifle very hard into the bipod and have the other person see if the dollar will still pass all the way to the recoil lug. That is checking the integrity of the stock while loading the bipod.

If the rifle will shoot a group of an inch, then it can shoot as far as you please.

I have plenty of scopes you can borrow, you just need a 20 MOA pic rail on top of the rifle. Then one of my scopes can be moved from my rifle to yours in about 45 seconds. Two shots later and it will be zeroed to your rifle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: J.G.] #6003323 10/31/15 04:10 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Pleasure having you out, Brandon. Thank you for the kind review, and come back soon!

And you brought a dang fine shooting Tikka! 2" spread at 700 yards up

2 inch spread at 700?!?! That is a nice shooting rifle!

New site looks awesome Jason!

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Gone to Texas] #6003332 10/31/15 04:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
KRoyal, it's all him. He didn't like my work and wanted to fix it.

Then when he shows up to the range I help fix rifle issus and help with load development question marks. He do what he do, and I do what I do. Works out great!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003334 10/31/15 04:15 PM
Brandon S. Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: Western
up Way to hang in that weather!! I need to do that, just to see what my Sako is made of and worth using for LR.

Every Sako I have owned would shoot a 1" or smaller group with the right ammo! Sign up, I promise you will have a blast!

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: J.G.] #6003391 10/31/15 05:05 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Then when he shows up to the range I help fix rifle issus and help with load development question marks. He do what he do, and I do what I do. Works out great!

up everyone has their talents lol.

[Linked Image]

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003451 10/31/15 06:02 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
That is a real nice job on the web site KRoyal. I'm gonna have to make a trip and take your class Jason, you offer a senior citizen discount? LOL

22 Creedmoor
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: KRoyal] #6003464 10/31/15 06:11 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

up everyone has their talents lol.

And I thought your 1st post was not biased rofl Good job brudda, site is nice, no clutter, easy to locate subject links and the links actually work! eeks333

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: BassCat'99] #6003492 10/31/15 06:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would if I could, but the land bank wants the same amount of money every month.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: J.G.] #6003494 10/31/15 06:29 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
KRoyal is in charge of the site now. He does good work!

Grab a dollar bill and see if it passes all the way to the recoil lug. If you have a bipod, attach it to the front sling stud and bump the legs up to something sturdy. You need another person, push the rifle very hard into the bipod and have the other person see if the dollar will still pass all the way to the recoil lug. That is checking the integrity of the stock while loading the bipod.

If the rifle will shoot a group of an inch, then it can shoot as far as you please.

I have plenty of scopes you can borrow, you just need a 20 MOA pic rail on top of the rifle. Then one of my scopes can be moved from my rifle to yours in about 45 seconds. Two shots later and it will be zeroed to your rifle.

She will do an 1" better than I can. I know the dollar thing, didn't know what else they can do, have been quoted anywhere from $400-800 to "accurize" it for LR. I know one said to "crown it and check the seat, the higher one was replacing the stock.

Jason, my main reason to take the class, would be help developing dope on what scope I have, with the ammo choice I have. Have factory round I like and has done great in this rifle, just took $150 of other ammo to get there bang I don't want to get into the re-loading thing at this point in my life. I suppose if I bought a rifle from Like Horizon, or re-barreled I would think about re-loading more.

You may not even be interested in helping with that though, never asked you since I don't have a scope picked out yet (why I asked you about the Eliminator 3)

If I had the expendable cash, I'd love to get this one and bring it out rolleyes "Purrdiest" rifle I have ever seen!
http://highcalibersales.com/mk13-mod5.html

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003496 10/31/15 06:31 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Brandon, sorry for polluting your thread..

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003615 10/31/15 08:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
IF, big IF, the rifle does not shoot as tight as you want it with the rifle supported on various things then make sure the forearm remains free floated, and you could bed the action area. The muzzle is already crowned and there is probably no need to mess with it. I am all about not spending any money on it if it is not necessary.

If you have found factory ammo the rifle shoots well, then there is nothing that says you have to start hand loading. The trouble with factory ammo is it varies by lot number. Brand X and model Y may shoot terrific this week. Next week with a new lot number it may go in the toilet. The $150 you spent could have gone to Chad and he would find "the" recipe for the rifle, build as many rounds as you tell him to and keep it on file. Next time you need ammo you contact Chad and he pulls up your fifle and builds ammo for YOUR rifle. He is the best thing going for the non-handloader.

I think you mode of thinking is backward on the quality of ammo based on the quality of the rifle. The custom rifle Derrick builds will probably shoot just about any ammo you feed it well, and some stellar. The out of the box, mass produced, button rifle barrel can and often is more picky on what you feed it. But the quality of rifles now days has shown me over and over that they are capable of sub-MOA as long as you hand koad for them. Ammo is absolutely one third of the equation in shooting precise and/ or shooting far with repeatability. One third is the rifle, base, rings, and scope that are or are not up to the task. And the final third is the shooter doing everything right behind the rifle. Then his ability to repeat that shot for shot as well as estimating wind correction. That's where I come in.

I run a personalized school. When you show up you have my undivided attention all day, and we will do what you decide you need to do with what ever equipment you brought. Most guys show up and are an empty slate. They let me decide what to do in what order and it has been working. Brandon even thought we were done yesterday afternoon. Oh no, you have more ammo and I have more to show you. His final shots were kneeling with the rifle 2' off the ground, then 3' off the ground, then standing with the rifle 4' off the ground. And he was hitting a 12" wide piece of steel at 400 yards from those positions. He said he never thought he would be hitting anything that far from anything but a bench. I say we don't have benches when we are hunting so we have to learn to get still with what ever we have available to assist us. Could be a truck, a fence or a tree. He completely agreed and did great shooting from those positions since he has used those very things in all his years hunting. There are tricks to assist in those weird positions.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003624 10/31/15 08:17 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Nice job Brandon. Jason helped me as well and 300 is just a chip shot now, what a difference!

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Brandon S.] #6003738 10/31/15 09:51 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Jason, well thought out response, thanks up I agree Chad may be the way to go in the long run and I assume with the load info, I could get any competent re-loader if he became unavailable, certainly something for me to consider.

I like the way you think on your instruction, I have friends that are into the LRS that could help me figure the "dope", but they are not as serious about the "finer details". I'd like to show up at your place with a tool ready to go, not leave needing something else, if that makes sense. I have teetered with the idea of a custom rifle, but per our prior conversations, if this Sako can get it done , I'd rather pay for better quality glass. Not going to lie though, a custom rifle sure does sound good, just because.

The conclusions and direction I want to go in now, is based on what we have talked about and articles by LRS I have read.
I should have maybe put all this in a PM to you, but some of my questions and your answers may help someone that stumbles on this thread.

Dennis

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: Western] #6003751 10/31/15 10:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am quite confident your rifle can get the job done. I dare say MOST mass produced rifles can now days, especially Sakos and Tikkas. The dividing line in being able to hit far away and not (as far as equipment goes) tends to be the scope. Truely, a person is better off with a $500 rifle that will hold 1" and a scope $500+, than a $1k rifle and a $200 scope.

Multiple times have guys planned to come out, PMed me, asked me scope questions, and arrived with one of the scopes I suggested, having never shot it. End of the day I always say, I LOVE BEING RIGHT! grin Since they were indeed happy with the scope and what they were able to do with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide