Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6009801 11/04/15 03:34 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
And the last I checked pigs weren't hunting down hunters, killing and eating them so I have no fear of them. None. Or coyotes. Or the dark. My brother is scared of the dark. But he is only 56 so he still has time to grow out of it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6010704 11/04/15 06:34 PM
H
High Country Archer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
A large boar can do a lot of damage. We had a big boy come in to a feeder one day so I tried to put one between his eyes. Problem was that I hit a strand of barbed wire and missed him completely. He started trucking to the next county and took out anything in his path!!! We tracked him for a little ways to confirm no blood and that boar went through the bottom strand of wire like it was a limp piece of spaghetti and knocked over or broke several smaller mesquite trees during his exit. I was never scared of pigs until I saw where he had broke a 2 1/2" trunk like it was a match stick. I kid with my son who witnessed the damage and said shoot all your rounds at the damn things but make sure you save one bullet for the old man if a pig ever gets a hold of me.

If you ain't hunting, you ain't living right.
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6010897 11/04/15 08:41 PM
A
A. P. Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
I know that pigs will eat anything and I'd hate to be out in known pig country alone, no weapon, no phone, and have an accident that is incapacitating, because a group of pigs might just find me, or anyone else, to be tasty.

Kind of like the ultimate irony since we all love pork; bacon, ham, ribs, etc. LOL

Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6011338 11/05/15 12:36 AM
R
Ringman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
It's not about fear. Just keeping the upper hand. Might as well stay at the top of the food chain instead of somewhere in the middle. We used to "try" to ride the big sows at the farm when we were teens. 400+ pounds and they would get pissed pretty quick. Try to crush you into the fence and bite your legs. Not real easy to get on or stay on when they're unhappy. Plenty of fun.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6011393 11/05/15 01:01 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I know a guy who got chewed on a little by a boar in the 150lb range after wounding it and trying to pull it out from under a blow down. It took a few stitches to close him up and a bit to mend but that's a lot different than a pig just coming after you to eat you. Not saying it won't happen but I'm not carrying my .44 during archery season because I think it might. We raised some pigs as well and a sow can get ornery as all get out when you mess with the piglets but I guess I would have to be in a bad situation a time or two to develop that concern.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: passthru] #6011822 11/05/15 04:29 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
popcorn Some good stuff flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6044472 11/23/15 05:11 AM
A
A. P. Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
I found out just the other day that one of the guys on my lease had a run in with a big boar that matched the description of the one that gave me attitude a few weeks back.

It was Friday, November 6. The guy is 24 and was bow hunting, using a compound bow, and was up in a tripod stand 10' - 12' high. As he tells it, a group of hogs came into his feeder near dark, the big boar stayed way back, so he shot a smaller hog. The hogs dispersed into the woods after the arrowed hog squealed. The shot hog didn't run far and dropped within sight. He waited a few minutes then climbed down from his tripod. Once on the ground, and walking over toward the dead hog, the big boar came charging out of the woods toward him. He ran back to the tripod, climbed up and got seated while the big boar growled and popped its teeth below him as it circled the tripod, and was able to fire an arrow at the big boar. He thinks he hit it but was not certain as to his shot placement. The big boar departed the area. He remained in his tripod for quite a while before climbing down.

He said it was a "Come to Jesus" moment when that big one came charging out of the woods at him. He also says he won't go out again without having at least a handgun on him.

Maybe he hit the big boar, maybe not, I don't know. I asked if he recovered the arrow he shot at that boar but he said he didn't even look for it because it was too dark. He left the first hog laying because he thought the big one might come back again. The next day he drug the dead hog off into the woods and didn't find his second arrow.

So, the big boar may be dead or may still be out and about. If I see him again, or he shows up on a game cam photo, I'll provide the details.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6047220 11/24/15 04:19 PM
I
IamMr2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Sounds like you've got a sporting hunt looking for that big 'un. Exciting! Just be careful. Sounds like he's full of piss and vinegar.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6049386 11/25/15 04:27 PM
B
bigsky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Cool story. I'd love to see a pic of that bow too. I spent a day with Howard Hill's son at his shop about 10 years ago. They make phenomenal bows.

Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: A. P.] #6049548 11/25/15 05:43 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: A. P.
I found out just the other day that one of the guys on my lease had a run in with a big boar that matched the description of the one that gave me attitude a few weeks back.

It was Friday, November 6. The guy is 24 and was bow hunting, using a compound bow, and was up in a tripod stand 10' - 12' high. As he tells it, a group of hogs came into his feeder near dark, the big boar stayed way back, so he shot a smaller hog. The hogs dispersed into the woods after the arrowed hog squealed. The shot hog didn't run far and dropped within sight. He waited a few minutes then climbed down from his tripod. Once on the ground, and walking over toward the dead hog, the big boar came charging out of the woods toward him. He ran back to the tripod, climbed up and got seated while the big boar growled and popped its teeth below him as it circled the tripod, and was able to fire an arrow at the big boar. He thinks he hit it but was not certain as to his shot placement. The big boar departed the area. He remained in his tripod for quite a while before climbing down.

Any up-date ? Sounds like ya need ta pud a bounty on that hog!!! Rest of the hogs catch on, ya might get an empademic of hogs not scared of hunters .... Not an expert, slinger have gun will travel ... Ya might have ta team up... Stay Safe... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Fearless Hogs??? [Re: 1860.colt] #6053706 11/28/15 02:44 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've been in a hairy situation with a sounder that was 50-60. It was when i first started bowhunting, now I carry a pistol. I will never forget it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide