Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476112 Topics
6245756 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5999486 - 10/28/15 09:05 PM Best Duck Decoys?
bull279 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Looking for decoys, but don't want to break the bank. Any recommendations? Will probably get a Mojo Mallard, but wanted opinions on floaters. Your thoughts?

Edited by bull279 (10/28/15 09:05 PM)

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003

#5999571 - 10/28/15 09:40 PM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
woodduckhunter Offline
Woodsman

this one has some serious potential. lol For me, it would entirely depend on the types of hunting situations and species of ducks in the areas youll be hunting...tell us more

#5999620 - 10/28/15 10:00 PM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
bull279 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I am hunting in east Central Texas (Freestone/Leon counties). Mostly be hunting on a creek and tanks (stock ponds). Mainly mallards, teal, and canvasbacks.

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003

#5999625 - 10/28/15 10:03 PM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Duck blind
Best bang for the buck are Flambeau storm fronts in my opinion. They make mallards, Pintail, wigeon, teal and woodies. All very reasonably priced and they last forever. They don't have the realism of some expensive decoys like Dakotas or avian x, but If you're wanting budget decoys those can't be beat. They're super thick plastic, never have I had one leak. Usually around 29-49$ per 6 pack. Rogers usually has really good prices on them.

#5999629 - 10/28/15 10:05 PM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
Dave Speer Online   content

Loc: Austin
I think most people will agree that when it comes to plastic decoys, the G&H brand is the most solidly built and will last the longest. There are other brands that offer more realism if that's what you need. The G&H are kind of like a fishing lure designed to imitate a certain bait, they kind of have the right colors and field marks, but they aren't as detailed. Ducks don't notice.

As far as species, if you really mainly see those three, then you'll want mallards and canvasback decoys, whichever you see the most of purchased first. You can build your spread slowly but stick with what you usually see first. Teal will decoy to just about any ducks, nothing wrong with teal decoys, but they wouldn't be my first or only pick.

Dave Speer Wildlife Art @ HuntCrafted

#5999739 - 10/29/15 12:59 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Black Dog, Texas
Anything that floats and looks somewhat like a duck.

Custom Crosses and Plaques

#5999740 - 10/29/15 01:27 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: Erichugh22]
aerangis Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Nunya
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Best bang for the buck are Flambeau storm fronts.....very reasonably priced and they last forever......They're super thick plastic, never have I had one leak

Says it all right there. Unfortunately, decoys have become a fashion statement for the $400 Cabelas jacket wearing, 3 hunt a year DU banquet groupies and impressionable folks that assume high cost=more ducks, that a high dollar decoy possesses some special, magical quality that gives them an edge when hunting and that less expensive dekes don't have.

When it comes to build quality and ability to pull birds Storm Fronts are the absolute best value in the decoy market. They're extremely durable even in sub-freezing temps, have exceptionally (UV) tough paint, look good, are readily available from a ton of retailers, and are very inexpensive.

Tastes in decoys are analogous to tastes in watches. $50 Timex versus $14k Rolex Daytona. If the brand of decoys you use is less about practicality and more about materialism, knock yourself out. But if practicality and function are the only requirement, Storm Fronts offer a heck of a lot of value and get the job done just as well as high dollar dekes.

Keep in mind that if you hunt on foot, light weight is good. Hauling solid foam, lead keeled, bolted head dekes is fortunately a relic of the past. Storm Fronts are light, you could easily carry 2 dozen dekes.

#5999742 - 10/29/15 02:12 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
pervis Offline
Tracker

If u want some Flambeau hit me up I acquired more than I need thru a few deals, il let em go cheap.

#5999783 - 10/29/15 06:12 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: pervis]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: pervis
If u want some Flambeau hit me up I acquired more than I need thru a few deals, il let em go cheap.

PM inbound

#5999786 - 10/29/15 06:16 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
As I replace decoys I buy nothing but
G and H. Tough, swivel head, good paint and will be the last decoys I have to purchase.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

#5999812 - 10/29/15 06:57 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: aerangis]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: aerangis
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Best bang for the buck are Flambeau storm fronts.....very reasonably priced and they last forever......They're super thick plastic, never have I had one leak

Says it all right there. Unfortunately, decoys have become a fashion statement for the $400 Cabelas jacket wearing, 3 hunt a year DU banquet groupies and impressionable folks that assume high cost=more ducks, that a high dollar decoy possesses some special, magical quality that gives them an edge when hunting and that less expensive dekes don't have.

When it comes to build quality and ability to pull birds Storm Fronts are the absolute best value in the decoy market. They're extremely durable even in sub-freezing temps, have exceptionally (UV) tough paint, look good, are readily available from a ton of retailers, and are very inexpensive.

Tastes in decoys are analogous to tastes in watches. $50 Timex versus $14k Rolex Daytona. If the brand of decoys you use is less about practicality and more about materialism, knock yourself out. But if practicality and function are the only requirement, Storm Fronts offer a heck of a lot of value and get the job done just as well as high dollar dekes.

Keep in mind that if you hunt on foot, light weight is good. Hauling solid foam, lead keeled, bolted head dekes is fortunately a relic of the past. Storm Fronts are light, you could easily carry 2 dozen dekes.

Well, I just bought some after reading this. A 12-pack of mallards for the cost of two 30 packs is a great deal on dekes.

#5999842 - 10/29/15 07:30 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: wal1809]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: wal1809
As I replace decoys I buy nothing but
G and H. Tough, swivel head, good paint and will be the last decoys I have to purchase.

That swivel head feature is the shiznit, but I don't play with my decoys enough to pay a premium for decoy action figures with articulating body parts. The exception would be GI Joes. I don't play with dolls but I can see the value in paying a premium for movable body parts.

#5999998 - 10/29/15 08:54 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: Fooshman]
skyshark Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Corpus Christi
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Anything that floats and looks somewhat like a duck.

EXACTLY.. I have mallards in my spread and I hunt the coast exclusively.. we dont shoot mallards here.. Well, it is super rare. I kill my fair share of ducks. I throw around 80 deeks and I mix them all together. I used to put all the pintails together and then all the red heads together and the pintails rarely landed wityh the other pintail deeks and the redheads didnt give a crap who they landed next to. Just get something out there and hang on. As for durability, I dont care what you buy if you shoot it they will sink. lol. I DO like to throw deeks with white in them (just my theory) but they can be seen from further away.

#6000006 - 10/29/15 08:57 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
bluewingwidowmaker Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Katy, TX
I prefer Avian X.

They have multiple positions in every pack and are top quality. My cousin shot one of my pintails last year because he thought it was real. The real ducks landed a few feet from it. Haven't had a single issue in the 3 years I've used them and the material they're made of is still pliable at temps in the negatives.

G&H guys, do you prefer them based on the company? I've heard great things about the people that make them but, I just don't see them on the same level as AvianX.
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

#6000139 - 10/29/15 09:53 AM Re: Best Duck Decoys? [Re: bull279]
Fishuhalik Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Katy, TX
If you're hunting smart mallards, you (typically) don't need 250+ floaters, so you can splurge a little and buy some real nice higher quality dekes. Now-a-days, I'm strictly a diver & pintail hunter for 99% of the year, so I buy cheaper dekes. I need a lot of blocks to draw in those big ol' rafts of divers over big water. The best hunts I've had so far have been shooting over 30 dozen. Which, in perspective, isn't that many. It was nothing to set out 150 dozen snow goose decoys. Anyways, my point is, buy what your budget allows. I use some ghg but mostly game winner. When I was in mallard paradise, I used Higdon Battleships for my field spread and foam filled Higdons for my water spread & I LOVED em. Now that I mention it, I don't hear much about Higdon down here. Are they a Yankee brand?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide