Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: TTUhunter4] #6008234 11/03/15 03:08 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
TTUHunter - only thing I disagree with is shooting a hog/deer with a subsonic. Could care less what round, chamber. The OP can make up their mind for them self what they want. Is it not our responsible as like minded hunters to give unbiased opinions, without getting into a pissing competition.

Again go look on youtube at the 100s of videos of people shooting an unsuppressed supersonic 300 BO at a hog. Compare that to a 6.8 unsuppressed. and compare that to other rounds if you are considering. And make your own decision. And by "your" I am referring to the OP bc that's the one with the questions.

And IMO, which is worth only as much a free coffee, is the 6.8 is better in all categories for everything, except shooting suppressed subsonic. Go look at the hog hunting section at TEXASLAWMANs posts. In most of his videos that I've seen he uses a 6.8 with a suppressor. He is what I would consider an expert on this site. Why would I say that, watch his videos. Piles of dead hogs caught on video. Proof is in the pudding. For someone like him to go out and do what he does, wouldn't he want the best equipment to be used a possible. Of course he has sponsors, but no way in hell I would risk a hog charging me and have the wrong tools for the job.

Ive only shot one animal with my 6.8. It happened to be a 250+ hog. I got it on video and it never moved. Aot easier to find something you looking for if its where you left it. Never shot one with a 300BO so I cant attest to them. I can say before I spent over $1,000 of my hard earned money on an AR for hunting. I spent countless hours researching, which is what the OP is working on. Good luck.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: 12shotgun] #6008257 11/03/15 03:25 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Bornforit - I totally agree that the 6.8 is superior to the .300 at supersonic speeds.

My whole reasoning behind the subsonic thing is that supersonic ammo through a suppressor still isn't hearing safe in almost all instances. If someone has a suppressor for personal use (not military) and is not shooting subs at least the majority of the time, they are wasting their money IMO. It makes a lot more sense to me to just buy a pair of muffs for $20 instead of dropping a grande or two on a suppressor if you are just going to shoot supersonic ammo that will still be very loud even with the can. Granted, a can does make supersonic ammo much more pleasant to shoot if you for some reason refuse to wear hearing protection, but it still isn't hearing safe by any means. I'm not a public shooting range guy, so the benefit of the can to the guy shooting next to me doesn't factor in at all in my case. If you are wearing hearing protection as you should, a can with supers has very little use IMO.

Subs through a can still aren't movie "silencer" quiet, but they are pretty close. This, IMO makes a can worthwhile.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: TTUhunter4] #6008289 11/03/15 03:41 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Thanks for your service, Kry. Sorry you are stuck with one of the old M9s and didn't get issued the new Colt 1911s they contracted.

We are clearly not speaking the same language here and are going in circles, so no point in continuing the conversation.

Thank you, sir.

I'm getting the same feeling too. Best regards. up

[Linked Image]
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: 12shotgun] #6008355 11/03/15 04:26 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Agree with still not completely hearing safe. I don't go shoot at the range plinking away. Shooting one time in the field with supers and a suppressor is still better than no suppressor. I don't necessarily think a suppressor shooting supers is a waste in the field. I think it helps distort where the sound is coming from and possibly suppressing the sound the groups of animals here. I believe I watched a video recently on what the animals here. It covered a few different calibers and ammo. Even a super with a suppressor was pretty quiet at the animal. Loudest part is the thud of it hitting the animal. That alone makes me want one.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: kry226] #6008776 11/03/15 07:50 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: kry226
[quote=TTUhunter4]
Last thing - That really isn't what I meant or tried to insinuate, but since you went there, why would you want to shoot anything larger than a house cat with a projectile traveling slower than 1125 fps (the speed of sound)? It must be that clean, ethical harvest you're looking for? up But my opinion IS that you shouldn't hunt anything larger than varmints with subsonic ammo. But I know. I'm woefully misinformed, so take that for what it's worth.

back

Arrows leave my bow at 300 fps. I've always had clean, ethical harvests of deer, pigs, and rams when bow hunting. More powder and speed is not always the best.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: Toxarch] #6009760 11/04/15 03:18 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Originally Posted By: kry226
[quote=TTUhunter4]
Last thing - That really isn't what I meant or tried to insinuate, but since you went there, why would you want to shoot anything larger than a house cat with a projectile traveling slower than 1125 fps (the speed of sound)? It must be that clean, ethical harvest you're looking for? up But my opinion IS that you shouldn't hunt anything larger than varmints with subsonic ammo. But I know. I'm woefully misinformed, so take that for what it's worth.

back

Arrows leave my bow at 300 fps. I've always had clean, ethical harvests of deer, pigs, and rams when bow hunting. More powder and speed is not always the best.

Apples and oranges. nidea

[Linked Image]
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: 12shotgun] #6010703 11/04/15 06:33 PM
C
ccreyeder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Back to the original question... Simple answer is yes, the 6.8 is an excellent round for deer/hogs. I guarantee you will not have buyers remorse.

I have a 16" RRA 6.8 with a 2 stage trigger, and I dont know if it it the most accurate rifle I own, but it is the one I shoot most accurately, if that makes sense. Have dropped many a hog and coyotes in their tracks with it. No deer yet, as until just recently my 6.8 was a dedicated night hunting rig. That has since changed and will use the 6.8 on a deer this season.

The 300 BO is also a great hog gun. I have one as well, and also have dropped many a hog and coyote in their tracks with it... but that wasnt the original question....

When I was looking at replacing my AR-10 for hogs/coyotes (arguably better than either 6.8 or 300, but just too dang heavy for my weak self to hump around all night with) I went with 300 BO originally because I hadnt heard of the 6.8. Then, during the last big ammo scare, I had a hard time finding 300 BO, but there was always 6.8 on the shelves... so.. I picked up a 6.8... Now I am covered either way! lol... Deep down, you know you want both roflmao

So.. after rambling, Yes, I think you would be very happy with the 6.8. It is an excellent round and there is enough support for it that it is not going anywhere. Buy with confidence!

Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: 12shotgun] #6011195 11/04/15 11:24 PM
12shotgun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I've been following the discussion and it has been very helpful/interesting and other things at times, all contributing in some way or another. I'm glad to see the benefits of the 6.8 as well as the 300, which I had also seen but had not much info on either. I'm inclined to the 6.8, but this research opened other possibilities such as getting 2 uppers, one in 6.8 and another in 5.56, which will most likely turn into getting another lower for the "orphan" upper laugh oh well one cannot have too many guns...
I'll be watching for sales in the next couple weeks. Thanks to everyone who has expressesd their opinion and recommendations.

Last edited by 12shotgun; 11/05/15 01:23 AM.

Eduardo
Outdoor enthusiast
Re: 6.8 SPC informations [Re: 12shotgun] #6011232 11/04/15 11:38 PM
R
rvrrat14 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I've build one and been hunting with it for two years now. 6.8 ARP 18" barrel.

I've recently built a 16" ARP upper.

Don't tell all them hogs I've killed it ain't potent!

This caliber and AR rifle make a perfect hunting rig where 300m or less is the range. It's all I hunt with now. Reloading unlocks superb accuracy, as my 18" ARP produces 5/16" groups or less.

Anyone wanting to try one, well, you won't be sorry! And if you reload you'll be very pleased!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide