Forums46
Topics537,778
Posts9,729,046
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5996884 10/27/15 06:31 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The honest truth - For 99% of people who buy an AR, any gun from a reputable manufacturer will perform better than they will ever need it to. Most people do not shoot enough to really experience the difference between a high end AR and a low end AR, other than cosmetics.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5997093 10/27/15 08:26 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Chad, what you just described is not "gaming the system" or "being on the edge"... that is cheating, and whether intentional or not, they should have been DQ'd. I would be upset with the RO's though for not enforcing the rules, not DPMS as a corporation.

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: GLC] #5997599 10/28/15 12:45 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: GLC
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
The three DPMS rifles I have had have been great, and I've shot with one of their sponsored at Texas Multigun a couple years ago and he was a good shooter, as well as being a great guy.

I have had 4 of them, still have one. All were sub moa shooters. Don't really know how they would be after a thousand rounds because I really do not shoot hem very much but I can't say anything negative about them.

The rifle I use for 3 gun has around 6,000 rounds through it, and still shoots under MOA.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5997626 10/28/15 12:56 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Cleric
How were they cheating?

Long story short. Tiger Valley Team Sniper Match. A few stages prior to the one in question, it was brought up that Team DPMS were gaming the rules, and maybe crossing a few lines. So, we told the RO's to be more specific on the stage descriptions and what's allowed/not allowed. A few shooters voiced their opinions to DPMS, and they said they were professional shooters, don't mess up, and understand how to run the stages correctly.

The next stage was a run and gun stage and about half way through the stage, you were to "put on" a gas mask, and complete the stage with the gas mask "on" and sealed. When you put a gas mask on, it creates a seal, and limits your breathing, and limits your vision, especially when shooting a pistol or AR. I specifically asked does the gas mask need to be worn (somewhere on your body), or does it need to be "put on" and sealed. The RO specifically said "put on" (with his hand over his face) and worn correctly. I asked this question with Team DPMS standing next to me and they heard the response. A few teams had run the stage, and worn the mask correctly to how the RO described, with all of us watching. Team DPMS went, and they put the masks on top of their heads like a hat where there was no seal and could easily breath and see clearly. As they were running and shooting the stage, people were telling them to put the mask "on". They never did. After they ran the stage, every shooter who saw this was furious, especially me. Just 15 minutes before this stage, they were arrogant about how professional shooters they were and knew how to run stages. Then this stage they said they didn't fully understand the rules and the RO descriptions. One of the shooters said he did not hear the rule on sealing the mask, and blatantly lied. I almost punched him in his mouth. Unfortunately, some shooters/teams will do anything to win, including cheat. That does not set well with me at all. This was the first time I had witnessed blatant cheating and lying about it. They were also DQ'd a few matches later for "gaming" stages outside of the rules, which is the nice way of saying cheating. If you know me, I'm a happy and friendly individual. But when you cross my line, it's crossed and it's not going back. F them!

I have no experience with sniper matches, but it sounds like they should have earned a procedural or stage DQ.

However, I can't see bashing a company for having bad sponsored shooters, while the company turns out a good product, especially for the price point.

Also, if you look around at matches, you will see plenty of rules being severely bent or broken, while RO's do nothing about it. Sometimes the match director will look the other way for reasons unknown, but it is still not the company's fault.

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5997636 10/28/15 12:59 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've got 2 DPMS A15, a 223 and 204. Both shoot excellent. No issues whatsover. I'd recommend one to anyone looking for an AR not wanting to spend an arm and a leg. 10 shots at 100 yards can be covered with a quarter.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5997805 10/28/15 02:25 AM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted By: Cleric
How were they cheating?

Long story short. Tiger Valley Team Sniper Match. A few stages prior to the one in question, it was brought up that Team DPMS were gaming the rules, and maybe crossing a few lines. So, we told the RO's to be more specific on the stage descriptions and what's allowed/not allowed. A few shooters voiced their opinions to DPMS, and they said they were professional shooters, don't mess up, and understand how to run the stages correctly.

The next stage was a run and gun stage and about half way through the stage, you were to "put on" a gas mask, and complete the stage with the gas mask "on" and sealed. When you put a gas mask on, it creates a seal, and limits your breathing, and limits your vision, especially when shooting a pistol or AR. I specifically asked does the gas mask need to be worn (somewhere on your body), or does it need to be "put on" and sealed. The RO specifically said "put on" (with his hand over his face) and worn correctly. I asked this question with Team DPMS standing next to me and they heard the response. A few teams had run the stage, and worn the mask correctly to how the RO described, with all of us watching. Team DPMS went, and they put the masks on top of their heads like a hat where there was no seal and could easily breath and see clearly. As they were running and shooting the stage, people were telling them to put the mask "on". They never did. After they ran the stage, every shooter who saw this was furious, especially me. Just 15 minutes before this stage, they were arrogant about how professional shooters they were and knew how to run stages. Then this stage they said they didn't fully understand the rules and the RO descriptions. One of the shooters said he did not hear the rule on sealing the mask, and blatantly lied. I almost punched him in his mouth. Unfortunately, some shooters/teams will do anything to win, including cheat. That does not set well with me at all. This was the first time I had witnessed blatant cheating and lying about it. They were also DQ'd a few matches later for "gaming" stages outside of the rules, which is the nice way of saying cheating. If you know me, I'm a happy and friendly individual. But when you cross my line, it's crossed and it's not going back. F them!

I have no experience with sniper matches, but it sounds like they should have earned a procedural or stage DQ.

However, I can't see bashing a company for having bad sponsored shooters, while the company turns out a good product, especially for the price point.

Also, if you look around at matches, you will see plenty of rules being severely bent or broken, while RO's do nothing about it. Sometimes the match director will look the other way for reasons unknown, but it is still not the company's fault.

I kind of agree, I mean it's like NASCAR, every manufacturer running has had a team caught for cheating so are we supposed to never buy a Ford, Chevy, Toyota or Dodge again (yes I know Dodge is gone)

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5997845 10/28/15 02:38 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
My problem is blatant cheating, lying to my face about it, and a company that stands behind their shooters and allows them to continue with this behavior. When/Where do you draw the line? To each his own.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5997856 10/28/15 02:42 AM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My problem is blatant cheating, lying to my face about it, and a company that stands behind their shooters and allows them to continue with this behavior. When/Where do you draw the line? To each his own.

And I get that too Chad. After I opined I gave some thought to how the gun business is much smaller than the auto biz. I guess I am trying to say I should have kept my mouth shut as I don't really have an answer! hammer

All that being said I love my Windham I got at Walmart for $349 on clearance, I have no idea how many rounds have been through it but it'a a lot and it just keeps on ticking

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: Stoney] #5998009 10/28/15 03:43 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Stoney

All that being said I love my Windham I got at Walmart for $349 on clearance, I have no idea how many rounds have been through it but it'a a lot and it just keeps on ticking

You didn't get hurt at all on that one... some may even say you stole it! Very good buy at $349!

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998178 10/28/15 12:19 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I will tell you that the last few years has really changed the AR market, and for the better. A lot of the lower tier manufacturers (you know who they are) were taking it in the rear for years on various forums for their lack of quality. I'm sure it hurt sales somewhat. But what I've noticed over those years is that these manufactures have seemed to step up their game and produce a better rifle.

Does that mean that I would ever go on a patrol with a Bushmaster, Stag, or DPMS? NO. But I am sure they're fine for what most folks use them for. I will say that DPMS does make one of the better .308/AR10 platform rifles out there, and has for a while.

While every company is prone to putting out a lemon from time to time, my money will always go to the top tier units like Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM, and a couple high-quality custom builders. If I had money to burn, I may go for a Knight's or LaRue.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998206 10/28/15 12:37 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I refuse to buy anything with zombie graphics or, of course, anything that is pink.

That's where I draw the line.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/28/15 12:38 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: charlesb] #5998329 10/28/15 01:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^clap^^

Charles, I'll stand behind that line with you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998353 10/28/15 01:58 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I have three DPMS rifles and they run just fine. Mine are critter guns, not comp rifles.

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: charlesb] #5998406 10/28/15 02:26 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content OP
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: charlesb
I refuse to buy anything with zombie graphics or, of course, anything that is pink.

Wife wants a Muddy Girl Camo Ar-15. Wife will get a Muddy Girl Camo AR-15. She deserves it for putting up with me all these years.

Thanks for all the help fellas. I have a THFer pricing a build for me now.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998525 10/28/15 03:59 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
What about pink zombies?

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: charlesb] #5998697 10/28/15 05:55 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I agree with the Zombie part... Hornady's Zombie Max ammo is a joke for $3 more a box.

We did dress my wife's AR in pink Magpul furniture.

I might build my daught a pink AR in the near future. Gonna wait to see if she wants pink or purple or just an old black scary gun.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998712 10/28/15 06:04 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
What does gaming the rules mean?

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: Colt W. Knight] #5998727 10/28/15 06:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
What does gaming the rules mean?

A common one I've seen is where your completion time on a stage is more important than your hits. Your hits are a low part of the score, and your completion time is the big factor. On a run and gun stage, instead of stopping at each target area and take precise aiming shots to neutralize your target, shooters would dump rounds into the ground or into the berm as they ran by without stopping to get a fast time. They may not even come close to hitting a target, but would end up with a fast time which would give them a low score for that event. That's gaming a stage. At that point, you are only competing for a low score, and not shooting the match how it was set up. Yes, the match directors need to modify their matches so shooters can not do this, but it is still a common method for scoring certain stages. There are other examples I've seen, but I am drawing a blank on some.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: bull279] #5998791 10/28/15 07:03 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content OP
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: bull279

I agree with the Zombie part... Hornady's Zombie Max ammo is a joke for $3 more a box.

We did dress my wife's AR in pink Magpul furniture.

I might build my daught a pink AR in the near future. Gonna wait to see if she wants pink or purple or just an old black scary gun.

This is Muddy Girl Camo. Pink and Purple

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5998834 10/28/15 07:31 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Texas DPS State Troopers carry stock Bushmasters. They put probably 1000 rounds through them every range training day. I know the state likely went with the lowest bidder when they bought the rifles but if there were a major problem with the rifles, I'm sure we'd have heard about it and they'd have changed the guns by now.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: Toxarch] #5999139 10/28/15 11:07 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Texas DPS State Troopers carry stock Bushmasters. They put probably 1000 rounds through them every range training day. I know the state likely went with the lowest bidder when they bought the rifles but if there were a major problem with the rifles, I'm sure we'd have heard about it and they'd have changed the guns by now.

When the DPS guys are at the range, afterwards you can find lots of .223 empties - and a certain number of 223 cartridges, still loaded, that have a big dent on one side where the bolt slammed forward on a cartridge that was at an angle. Some of them are bent pretty radically, some just have a big dent.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5999799 10/29/15 11:41 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Name one former SOF guy with a legitimate reputation (like Vickers, Howe, Haley, etc.) who runs his own shooting school and endorses a lower tier rifle. I knew of one several years ago and he no longer endorse that rifle.

These guys see hundreds of guns shoot thousands of rounds per year and I know of none who currently do.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: kry226] #5999979 10/29/15 01:49 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: kry226
Name one former SOF guy with a legitimate reputation (like Vickers, Howe, Haley, etc.) who runs his own shooting school and endorses a lower tier rifle. I knew of one several years ago and he no longer endorse that rifle.

These guys see hundreds of guns shoot thousands of rounds per year and I know of none who currently do.

You mean like Kyle Lamb and the S&W M&P 15 VTAC II rifle?

S&W M&P 15 Vtac II

Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: J.G.] #6000086 10/29/15 02:28 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
^^clap^^

Charles, I'll stand behind that line with you.
I bet your would look good with pink, and pink camo.. up

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: cyphertext] #6000298 10/29/15 04:18 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: kry226

You mean like Kyle Lamb and the S&W M&P 15 VTAC II rifle?

S&W M&P 15 Vtac II

Who said the S&W was low tier? It was always in a respectable spot on "The Chart". Very respectable, especially at it's price point.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide