Forum Stats
60400 Members
45 Forums
475443 Topics
6237093 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5994885 - 10/26/15 10:33 AM Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from?
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Noticing quite a bit of price difference in the different brands. Any certain ones that are known to be crappy?

#5994912 - 10/26/15 10:51 AM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
You'll never see me own a PMS (DPMS) AR. 1- for their performance (lack of), and 2- for several of their sponsored shooters and company support of those cheating shooters in competitions. I know there are shooters who like their DPMS rifles. Sometimes my selections of products goes beyond what they offer, or how well their product may or may not be.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5994921 - 10/26/15 10:56 AM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Thanks Chad. I do value your opinion. What about Windham weaponry?

#5995010 - 10/26/15 11:54 AM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: ChadTRG42]
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
You'll never see me own a PMS (DPMS) AR. 1- for their performance (lack of), and 2- for several of their sponsored shooters and company support of those cheating shooters in competitions. I know there are shooters who like their DPMS rifles. Sometimes my selections of products goes beyond what they offer, or how well their product may or may not be.

DAMN!!!! LMAO, no sugar coating there..

My opinion is you get what you pay for..

#5995037 - 10/26/15 12:14 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online   happy
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, and up, and factory.

Windham, CMMG, Diamondback and others are decent, but won't hold value as above.

And nothing with polymer upper or lower.

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#5995087 - 10/26/15 12:49 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
Threelranch Offline
Woodsman

Loc: West tx
I have shot many and ran a lot of ammo though AR's , shot the best and had problems as matter fact i have one Daniel Defense in the bottom of my tank i had enough of it .DPMS is a great AR and love the 6 i have ow , i also have a few Armalite AR-10 that do run good but they have there draw backs as well .You do get what you pay for but sometimes the cheaper ones are better running guns and that is just fact .

#5995220 - 10/26/15 02:23 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
TXGUNNER308 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Farmers Branch / Carrollton
I can't really recommend a BAD AR made by a licensed manufacturer however I will recommend you stay away from the "hobbyist" builder with no credentials or experience building ARs except what they read on ARFCOM or saw on YouTube! Just my opinion...YMMV!

Edited by TXGUNNER308 (10/26/15 02:23 PM)

#5995312 - 10/26/15 03:36 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
Budgeteer Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, TX
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Noticing quite a bit of price difference in the different brands. Any certain ones that are known to be crappy?

It all depends on what you're going to do with it. Why are you buying it? Is it a range toy, occasional plinker, truck gun? Is it going to be used hard for training, HD/SD, patrol, etc? This is an area in which the phrase "Buy once, cry once" applies...

Recommend nothing but an AR from a Tier 1 manufacturer (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, etc), and you get dogged as a "tacticool" fanboy with more money than sense. Talk bad about about DPMS, CMMG, Bushmaster, Rock Island, etc and you'll get covered up with stories about how my X is just as good as your Tier 1 at half the price.

There ARE big differences in the products put out by the various manufacturers, so don't let anyone tell you different. This is a pretty friendly forum, so I don't want to step on any toes, but there are a lot of crap rifles frequently mentioned and recommended here that are, or may be, perfectly fine for occasional use. Those rifles, however, will not stand up to serious use, long-term use.

You'll be able to easily find a Colt 6920 with standard furniture for $850 or so. Pick up some PMags, a good two-point sling, and some decent ammo, and build from there. You cannot go wrong with that basic set-up, and it will absolutely retain its value. In fact, add a quality WML and an Aimpoint PRO, and you've got an excellent HD/SD rifle that absolutely needs nothing else other than to be cleaned, lubed, and shot.

#5995726 - 10/26/15 07:56 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
Bigfoot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
I firmly believe in the "buy once and cry once" rule for guns!

I say just stay away from the cheapest AR you can buy and you will be fine.

#5995734 - 10/26/15 08:01 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
The three DPMS rifles I have had have been great, and I've shot with one of their sponsored at Texas Multigun a couple years ago and he was a good shooter, as well as being a great guy.

#5995787 - 10/26/15 08:31 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
bull279 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
The only issue that I had with my DPMS was the heavy trigger. I swapped it out with a Rock River National Match 2 Stage trigger and have ZERO issues with the gun.

Bushmaster used to have a reputation as a substandard construction. but from what I understand, their quality control has greatly improved their product.

If you buy a Colt, you are buying a good gun, but you are also paying for that horse on the magazine well.

I love my Rock River Lower and I have it mated to a Stag Arms left hand upper. I would recommend either brand.

I agree with above, stay away from the polymer and carbon composite frames.

Edited by bull279 (10/26/15 09:07 PM)

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003

#5995796 - 10/26/15 08:34 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
GLC Offline

Loc: Burleson Texas
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
The three DPMS rifles I have had have been great, and I've shot with one of their sponsored at Texas Multigun a couple years ago and he was a good shooter, as well as being a great guy.

I have had 4 of them, still have one. All were sub moa shooters. Don't really know how they would be after a thousand rounds because I really do not shoot hem very much but I can't say anything negative about them.

#5995954 - 10/26/15 09:43 PM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
505ed Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Blanco texas

#5996250 - 10/27/15 07:38 AM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
TexasVine Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Lakeway/Fredericksburg
I have had several AR's but more upper end performance rifles with little experience shooting lower end AR's. With that being said, I would check out some specific AR forums on the web to get additional advice. I believe in most cases you get what you pay for and cutting corners and cost on firearm isn't the best way to go.

#5996493 - 10/27/15 09:35 AM Re: Are there certain brands of AR's to stay away from? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
cyphertext Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wylie, TX
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

What specific models are you looking at? Many of the low cost models are not as full featured as other rifles... for example, the S&W M&P 15 Sport. It lacks the forward assist and the dust cover, as these features were eliminated to lower cost. For a recreational shooter, these features have little to no value.It also has a twist rate that more compatible with the 55 gr and 62 gr ammo readily available at Walmart. The rifle is also fully capable of serving in a home defense role, or even as a "SHTF" type scenario.

Ruger has also released a budget AR. Biggest difference between it and the Sport is that it has an unlined barrel, compared to the Melonite treated barrel on the Sport. Again aimed at the commercial, recreational type shooter.

These may not be the first choice for a patrol officer or a war fighter deploying to Afghanistan, they can serve the recreational shooter quite well, and at a lower cost than Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide