Print Thread
Barnett Jackal #5994302 10/26/15 02:04 AM
A
Axis308 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Anyone have any experience with this? Looking for an inexpensive crossbow.

Re: Barnett Jackal [Re: Axis308] #5994595 10/26/15 12:14 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Of the inexpensive Barnett crossbows it is much more reliable than the Recruit or Raptor crossbows. It is larger and louder but does not seem to suffer the string breaking issues of those other two. There was a lawsuit about the Jackal with people hitting their fingers, just follow the directions and keep the fingers out of the string path.

Another bow to checkout in that price range is the PSE Fang

Better option IMO is the Parker Bushwhacker, good bow from a company that stands behind their product with a lifetime warranty.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Barnett Jackal [Re: Axis308] #5995722 10/27/15 12:55 AM
S
steve.w Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Just bought a Barnett raptor . I heard string issue had beEn addressed and fixed. Should I be concerned?

Re: Barnett Jackal [Re: Axis308] #5995868 10/27/15 02:03 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I had two of them. Please do not take my experience as what to expect, but I sold them to a guy I knew that just wanted to shoot in the yard for fun. He understood the issue; I could not keep them on center.

The bow had good ratings, so I jumped in and found two used ones really cheap, from two different sources. Although they looked brand new, the bows could have been abused before I got them so I will try not to sound too negative. I also am no bow expert. I was shooting Barnett brand recommended bolts in both bows.
The scope mount seemed almost weak to me, even when very tight it still has a good bit of play. After several attempts at sighting the first bow (it was all over the place) I discovered that the scope could be pushed left or right easily. The picatinny rail would rock back and forth. I would look through scope while the bow was on a tripod and could move the cross-hairs 6" left or right (at 20 yards) easily in the movement of the single mounting bolt. I tightened it to the point I thought I would strip it, this almost stopped all of the movement. That problem was fairly well solved, but I still think the scope mount is not what it should be.
Elevation always stayed exactly on, but wind-age was still all over the place, even after tightening the scope mount; as much as 8" to the left or right, or dead on.
I discovered later this may be caused by the limbs being out of adjustment when a friend had a Parker doing the same thing. But I do not know if it is a common Jackal problem.
My second bow was the exact same issue.
Even after thoroughly inspecting, buying a used crossbow is really iffy. Getting it right may cost the same as just buying a new one.
If you get one, get it new, with a warranty. Research out dealers around you that can do warranty work and keep you on center.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Barnett Jackal [Re: Axis308] #5995908 10/27/15 02:24 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I just bought a Jackal last month and had it hitting the bullseye at 20 yards in literally a half dozen shots. I have found it to be amazingly accurate. I bought the package with the red dot sight, bolts and quiver. The quiver I received does not fit the x-bow. I think the wrong one was packaged. No big deal as I wear a hip quiver anyway. It is much louder than a bow, but I understand all x-bows are. This is my first x-bow, so I am not experienced, but have been very impressed with mine so far. Can't wait to use it on an animal.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide