Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,527
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: hook_n_line] #5990646 10/23/15 05:50 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There's ranches in this state that have pens that are 100 acres or more. Goo look at the 6666, the Pitchfork, parts of what was the XIT, the King, ect.

There's also ranches that the whole ranch is less than 100 acres. And yes less than 100 acres can be productive, so I have no problem with someone calling a place that size a ranch. Their definition of a pen will be different than the large ranch's definition.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5990667 10/23/15 06:01 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari

It's all about mindset

That's what I'm attempting to asses with this poll. Trying to measure perception regarding a sensitive topic. The poll is not scientific and can subjected to all sorts of criticism. Nonetheless, the results may be interesting.

popcorn Figured this thread twas a loaded question... As pappy once said: Tis like an ol smoke pole, ta see who goes off half cocked .... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5990812 10/23/15 07:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Won't vote, since I would be implying that I am trying to dictate what a private landowner can do with his land with my views.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: stxranchman] #5990820 10/23/15 07:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Won't vote, since I would be implying that I am trying to dictate what a private landowner can do with his land with my views.

cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: stxranchman] #5990850 10/23/15 07:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Or exclude 100,000's of acres of public hunting land by definition(islands, city locked, etc)

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: stxranchman] #5990859 10/23/15 07:52 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

rofl

Golden cheers

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5990860 10/23/15 07:52 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
What! No option for <10 acres bolt
Exactly. I've seen some pretty wild ones up into 10 acres, too.

popcorn

Good point though, a pen is a pen, no matter how big or small. It's all about mindset and verbiage wink

I've seen crazy cattle inside a 3' wide by 20' long loading chute, too...

LOL!! Right!!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5990861 10/23/15 07:52 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
All we can do is hope that this thread has a quick death.

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5990978 10/23/15 08:57 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Or exclude 100,000's of acres of public hunting land by definition(islands, city locked, etc)

The poll may be easily criticized but the results are still interesting. I based it around a long standing question I had regarding the HF topic and how it is perceived in many different ways. Like you indicate Bobo, one point of view is that all the creatures on this earth are living inside various forms of high fence. But I'm not trying to cover that aspect with this thread. I had to guess at using <50,000 acres as a maximum because I figured anything larger was not relevant to my question.

To be determined
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5990988 10/23/15 09:02 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

cheers

up

Not voting is still a valid and helpful response.

The poll and thread is definitely not trying to imply good/bad, right/wrong, ethical/unethical, question landowner's rights, create controversy, acid rancor or butthurt, etc. It's merely a sampling of perception regarding a specific question.

If it gets deleted it would be nice for a mod to take a screenshot of the poll beforehand. I'd be very grateful. I'll try to take a screen shot a little later.

To be determined
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5991100 10/23/15 10:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

The poll may be easily criticized but the results are still interesting. I based it around a long standing question I had regarding the HF topic and how it is perceived in many different ways. Like you indicate Bobo, one point of view is that all the creatures on this earth are living inside various forms of high fence. But I'm not trying to cover that aspect with this thread. I had to guess at using <50,000 acres as a maximum because I figured anything larger was not relevant to my question.

Not really what I was saying. There are 1000's of different public lands under 50k and above that follow under the same ideology of a HF but because they are public, and some being a draw tag some people choose to ignore the reality. So is its either a Pen perception or Access perception. That's all.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5991102 10/23/15 10:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

cheers

up

Not voting is still a valid and helpful response.

The poll and thread is definitely not trying to imply good/bad, right/wrong, ethical/unethical, question landowner's rights, create controversy, acid rancor or butthurt, etc. It's merely a sampling of perception regarding a specific question.

If it gets deleted it would be nice for a mod to take a screenshot of the poll beforehand. I'd be very grateful. I'll try to take a screen shot a little later.

Won't get deleted as long as everyone stays respectful of others and those animals from both sides cheers

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5991227 10/24/15 12:04 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
One guy said "once the fence goes up they become livestock".

Sorry to throw the t#*d in the punch bowl... But as soon as you use all the modern tools like feeders, scents, guns, bows, scopes, food plots, choppers, guides, etc. they in fact become livestock.

The only people who can't see that are blinded by their own ignorant ego.

Last edited by therancher; 10/24/15 12:05 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5991244 10/24/15 12:11 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It's already high fences. We are surrounded by oceans

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5991296 10/24/15 12:37 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
There's ranches in this state that have pens that are 100 acres or more. Goo look at the 6666, the Pitchfork, parts of what was the XIT, the King, ect.

There's also ranches that the whole ranch is less than 100 acres. And yes less than 100 acres can be productive, so I have no problem with someone calling a place that size a ranch. Their definition of a pen will be different than the large ranch's definition.

"Pens"as large as the ones you speak of are usually called "traps" instead of pens and have a series of smaller pens attached to work cattle. I have been to several of the ranches you speak of and those giant pens are traps. Many times to the 6666 and Tounge River.

Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: therancher] #5991303 10/24/15 12:40 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher

Sorry to throw the t#*d in the punch bowl... But as soon as you use all the modern tools like feeders, scents, guns, bows, scopes, food plots, choppers, guides, etc. they in fact become livestock.

So I killed a bull elk on Colorado public land, no feeder, no food plot, no scents, no chopper, but I did use a scoped rifle. The bull was born free of any fences and died free of any fences, but according to you he was livestock?

Geez...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5991508 10/24/15 03:40 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

So I killed a bull elk on Colorado public land, no feeder, no food plot, no scents, no chopper, but I did use a scoped rifle. The bull was born free of any fences and died free of any fences, but according to you he was livestock?

Geez...

Absolutely! You used tools that effectively and artificially shrunk/retarded his ability to evade you. That gives you an "unfair" advantage that is no different than what a high fence does.

I'm sorry, but when you evaluate high fences and scopes as limiting the animals ability to evade you, it really is comparable.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: 1860.colt] #5991617 10/24/15 11:18 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch As pappy once said: When ya talk bout penmanship, mine run outa ink ... flag

clap

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: therancher] #5991621 10/24/15 11:34 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D

Geez...

Absolutely! You used tools that effectively and artificially shrunk/retarded his ability to evade you. That gives you an "unfair" advantage that is no different than what a high fence does.

I'm sorry, but when you evaluate high fences and scopes as limiting the animals ability to evade you, it really is comparable.

therancher, is this mastodon also considered to be cattle? The Clovis tribe was using a tool to kill it. Sure I'm way outside the box, but the way I read your post the answer would still be yes.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: decook] #5991637 10/24/15 11:56 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: decook

Geez...

therancher, is this mastodon also considered to be cattle? The Clovis tribe was using a tool to kill it. Sure I'm way outside the box, but the way I read your post the answer would still be yes.

Absolutely. If you use any tool other than tooth fang and claw you are in fact reducing the natural ability of the animal to evade you. "Cheating". Which is "unethical" to some.

Now, do I believe the natural predators such as "Clovis man" or "Dallas Fort Worth man" should worry about "Cheating" their prey? Oh hale no.

I don't care if you kill them with a buick. Just hunt. And don't worry about what method your competing natural predators use. up

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: therancher] #5991655 10/24/15 12:26 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Livestock are domesticated animals raised in an agricultural setting to produce commodities such as food, fiber and labor. 

It says nothing of the way they are slaughtered. "Rasied" would mean a person owns them much like every animal on your ranch. "Agricultuaral setting" would be animals raised on land a person owns or leases and has control of.

Killing any animal using a tool does not make the animal livestock. A fence can make them livestock, but a rifle, bow, speer, rock, or strangulation does not make the animal livestock.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5991672 10/24/15 12:45 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Livestock are domesticated animals raised in an agricultural setting to produce commodities such as food, fiber and labor. 

It says nothing of the way they are slaughtered. "Rasied" would mean a person owns them much like every animal on your ranch. "Agricultuaral setting" would be animals raised on land a person owns or leases and has control of.

Killing any animal using a tool does not make the animal livestock. A fence can make them livestock, but a rifle, bow, speer, rock, or strangulation does not make the animal livestock.

By that definition, 99+% of high fences do not fit your "livestock" profile. Take your pick, but you can't have it both ways.

Are we denigrating high fences because they make hunting easier? Or because they enclose breeder pens? 99+% of high fences are not breeder pens.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5991679 10/24/15 12:49 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

If you own 2,000 acres. You charge 10 hunter $2,500 ea. to have the privilege to come onto your land and harvest deer located on your land. They pay you $25,000 to shoot with bow, rifle, spear... They harvest 30 deer using man made tools designed for killing. Then in July a fellow rancher comes to your ranch and buys 30 head of cattle. He uses horses and a helicopter to capture cattle. He pays you $90,000. He then haul's them to slaughter by tools designed for killing. Would both not qualify as "Agricultural livestock setting" your land provided the habitat and you gained the income from the harvest of animals on your land? Just curious

Last edited by SheepHunter; 10/24/15 12:52 PM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: therancher] #5991683 10/24/15 12:53 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
99% of high fences do fit in the definition. It allows a person to raise and maintain the animals within the fence. It says nothing on acreage, and anyone that has raised animals knows the fence has to surround them. I am not saying a thing about high fence hunting being easier or not.

YOU, however chose to veer way off the raisl suggesting that any time a hunter uses ANY tool, not including a fence, it makes the animal he kills insantly livestock. I am pretty sure 99% of the population of high school educated people will disagree with you. I am not cheapening high fence hunting, but you are taking a stance that looks like you believe deep down high fence hunting is not the same as free range hunting, so you want want to cheapen the free range hunt if a hunter uses any tool what so ever. That is just silly.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What size is considered a deer pen? [Re: J.G.] #5991702 10/24/15 01:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
99% of high fences do fit in the definition. It allows a person to raise and maintain the animals within the fence. It says nothing on acreage, and anyone that has raised animals knows the fence has to surround them. I am not saying a thing about high fence hunting being easier or not.

YOU, however chose to veer way off the raisl suggesting that any time a hunter uses ANY tool, not including a fence, it makes the animal he kills insantly livestock. I am pretty sure 99% of the population of high school educated people will disagree with you. I am not cheapening high fence hunting, but you are taking a stance that looks like you believe deep down high fence hunting is not the same as free range hunting, so you want want to cheapen the free range hunt if a hunter uses any tool what so ever. That is just silly.

confused2 speaking for myself, the 1% on here that has trouble reading & understanding ya'll... 2cents As pappy once said: tis a lowfer, hunt free ranging, never hunted livestock... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide