Page 1 of 2 1 2
Real bad news #5988191 10/22/15 01:22 AM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
My dog Blue just bit a little girl at soccer practice. Got her on the upper lip. I had to get the kids home but headed to the hospital now. I've taken him up there so many times and he's never done anything g like this. Wife is up there and said the hospital got our info to call animal control which is fine with me. I won't be keeping him.

If they don't take him though, I'm posting this to see if anyone has a hunting home for him without kids. Someone patient who knows about vizslas.
He's a good hunter as a few can attest to on here.

Thanks

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988245 10/22/15 01:54 AM
M
Michael W. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hope this turns out well for you and the kid. I have only been around a couple of Vizslas and they were both pretty friendly with me, and I was a stranger to them.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988259 10/22/15 02:01 AM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
I have no excuse. He started when she walked up behind him and turned and snapped.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988263 10/22/15 02:02 AM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
I should have never had him up there.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988277 10/22/15 02:11 AM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
My V used to body slam my youngest grandson then dance on top of him when he was 3. Before you get rid of him do some more investigating, did she hurt him in any way, startle him. Biting is a defense mechanism. I hate that the little girl was bit but I hate to see you lose your dog this close to the season also.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988373 10/22/15 03:14 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Went through this about a year ago. The next door neighbor startled our Collie Great Pyrenees cross and she snapped at her ankle. Neighbor did not want animal control involved, but the clinic she went to for an antibiotic shot reported it, as required by state law.

It was a pain...but home confinement for three weeks and a couple of trips to the vet was all that was required.

Just hope your homeowners insurance does not become aware.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988374 10/22/15 03:15 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
That's a bad thing to have happen. Especially if you are pretty attached to the dog. Hope the child isn't scarred. But honestly if a dog bit my child in the face I would probably be pretty unhappy and when I was younger I may have acted rashly.

Before you let the dog go just consider that you may want to be more choosey about the environments you take the dog. A good hunting companion is tough to find, takes time to train, and years to replace.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988394 10/22/15 03:27 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Sure hate that for you, your family and the child. Good luck on your decision, but I would sleep on it before making any major decisions.

If you still decide to get rid of your dog, hope it goes to a great home. Good luck

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988396 10/22/15 03:29 AM
H
H-Town Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
This is really sad to hear.. has the dog been aggressive towards kids in the past? Any thought what so ever that could have done this?

Last edited by PaulZ2; 10/22/15 03:29 AM.

God Bless
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988468 10/22/15 05:10 AM
M
mreed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I had this happen a couple of years ago with a lab/heeler mix and my wife's cousin's little girl, the dog had never met a stranger he didn't like, had never been aggressive in the least bit and had never bit anyone, he was just a real sweet dog. We live close to a busy FM road and already had a dog get run over so we installed a wireless e-fence to keep him from getting on the road. He adjusted to the new boundaries and the e-collar very well. One day my wife's cousin and her daughter came over to visit, the little girl was sitting in the floor petting Cannon and all of a sudden he whipped around and nipped her right above her top lip, one of his canine teeth punctured the skin and poked a hole in her upper lip area. I was in the shower when my wife told me what happened and I walked out to see a 5 year old bawling with a bloody paper towel and a dog that had no clue what was going on. I was so angry I couldn't see straight. I wrote all of this to advise you to not make any hasty decisions just yet, take some time to calm down and think about it. After everything was said and done with Cannon I started thinking about all the what ifs and could haves, maybe there was a beep on the TV that sounded like his collar was about to zap him, maybe she pinched his ear, maybe this and maybe that. If I had it to do all over again I would have taken the time to think it through. Just my humble .02

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988615 10/22/15 12:41 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If he has a current rabies shot he can be quarantined at your house. A vet check now, and one in a couple of weeks. Think about it for a couple of days before you give him up. If you don't change your mind send me a pm.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988695 10/22/15 01:37 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's a tough decision but I'd find him a new home.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988712 10/22/15 01:55 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Personally I wouldn't give him up that quick over that but he would have to be kept from kids from now on. But it is a decision only you and your family can make. Kindall would be a great home to get him to if you do decide to get rid of him.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988772 10/22/15 02:28 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
I have no excuse. He started when she walked up behind him and turned and snapped.

I think this is a key bit of information.

Even the best, most even tempered, and well behaved dog can have a bad day or react poorly in a new environment. From your post, it doesn't sound like you know exactly what precipitated your dog's reaction. The dog may have been sort of overwhelmed by all the new people and action going on that the girl startled him, and he reacted just like any dog, good or bad, might very well react in the same situation.

If this is an isolated event, then I suggest giving the dog the benefit of the doubt for this indiscretion. It sounds like you're otherwise happy with him, so why get rid of him for this? Learn from the experience, recognize that you may not be able to take him to similar events, and drive on. You didn't get him to parade around at soccer practice...Go along with what's legally required of you and hope that you're not having to deal with some ridiculous parent who will accept nothing other than having the dog removed or destroyed.

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988781 10/22/15 02:36 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
One time and he is gone? I know you want to do the right thing, but dogs make mistakes too. You already admitted that he should not have been there. To remedy the situation, don't put him in that situation. I am not saying trust him with your own kiddos until he proves he is worthy, but every once in a while, dogs have bad days also. Bottom line is there are not many dog problems, but a lot of human problems. I have had my share also, but I just try to learn from my mistakes and not put my dog back in the same situation again. Dogs deserve second chances, just like humans.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988786 10/22/15 02:38 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The dog may have been sort of overwhelmed by all the new people and action going on that the girl startled him, and he reacted just like any dog, good or bad, might very well react in the same situation.

That's just what I was thinking. One of my vizslas is the same breeding as Blue, and she doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988792 10/22/15 02:41 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Man, rough spot and I don't envy being in it. Can see both sides of the fence on this one. I sent you over a PM in regards to you possibly having to rehome him. Hope that isnt what it comes too.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5988886 10/22/15 03:34 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Hey everyone, I got home late from the hospital last night and have been tied up all day today. I will write a real reply to everyone as soon as I get a chance.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989108 10/22/15 05:59 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Alright sorry for the delay. So now that I have processed everything I'll give y'all a little more detail.

I've been taking him around these same soccer girls since he was a puppy with no problems. Last night practice had ran a little long and it was almost completely dark. Blue was looking across the road intensely at some deer that were over there. About that time my daughter and her friend ran over and her friend yelled to her mom she wanted to pet Blue before they leave. The friend sort of touched Blue on the back and he flinched and turned and for some reason I just felt like I should have yanked the leash back right then, but didn't and when he turned she went in with her hands going to his ears and her face forward like people do to talk/kiss on dogs and he just nipped.
Looks like he didn't clamp down but a tooth caught right in the cleft thing of her upper lip and sliced it straight down to the point of her actual lip which folded down. It looked at first like a chunk was completely out but it was just folded down.
We went to the hospital and completely by coincidence a plastic surgeon was there from Dallas for another injury and was able to take care of her. They said if he wasn't there then they would have sent her to Cooks in Fort Worth because no one would have attempted the stitches there.
My worst fear was that she would have a hair lip looking scar for the rest of her life but the surgeon said it will heal up fine.
The parents were completely rational and wouldn't allow me to pay for the visit and were actually joking the whole time. We've played soccer together for about 5 years so that's good.
I haven't heard from animal control yet and am still deciding what I want to do. Obviously I won't be taking him anywhere again but I hate to have a dog I am scared to take places. He sleeps with my kids like 75% of the time so Im not really concerned about him around them.
Just a messed up deal all around.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989165 10/22/15 06:27 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Sounds like the girl will be fine. Was worried to hear about a hospital visit. I was hoping for maybe a puncture and nothing else.

Had mine bite a jogger and they weren't too happy about it, rightfully so.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989202 10/22/15 06:49 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Give him another chance man. Just keep him away from kids or muzzle him when you do. My sister & ex BIL had a boxer mix dog that nipped at a couple of my nieces friends but never my nieces (never got the friends bad either but did bring blood to a little girls cheek IIRC), when neighbor friends came over they would put a muzzle on her and never had another problem.

Dangit Blue, what'd ya have to go and do that furr?

Give him a pat on the head from me, I'm not mad at him. I know he didn't mean to hurt her.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989230 10/22/15 07:05 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Glad that the girl will be ok. Also happy that the parents took it in stride. I would just say to either try to keep him away from other children if you can, or if he is around them, make sure that they know to be slow and gentle, especially if he has alerted on wildlife. I am always scared what my dogs would do (I have a GSD Lab mix and used to have a Belgian Malinois). I think the dogs need to be socialized with people, but it is kind of nerve-wracking when they are out in public.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989317 10/22/15 07:55 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I'm glad the kid is okay. You are fortunate the parents are "cool" so far. But down the road a few months if it does scar a little they could change their mind.

I wouldn't get rid of the dog if it is a good companion but a muzzle or keeping it from those situations might be a wise choice. Too many litigious minded people.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989348 10/22/15 08:09 PM
S
shock_n_awe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Poor pup.... That's one where hindsight is 20/20. Between the deer distraction, the setting sun and the exciting environment, I bet he just reacted and didn't mean to snap. In fact, he might have been off guard and was just yelling..... Hey, don't sneak up on a brother like that and just caught her lip. I sent you a PM if you're still looking for options.

Re: Real bad news [Re: changedmyname] #5989430 10/22/15 09:15 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Thanks for the additional feedback. I, like everyone else, am very happy that the little girl was not more seriously injured and that the parents reacted like rational adults. I remember my dad telling me at a very young age to never stick my face in any dog's face. People seem to think all dogs are like the dogs that they're familiar with, and that can be a dangerous assumption no matter what past experience may have shown. I'd say this is an example of lesson learned...on both sides.

I'm also going to echo some of the other comments to keep him and give him another chance while more closely evaluating the situations you may conceivably place him in and/or places you take him. Again, I don't think there's a need to panic or make a hasty decision about your future with your companion based on one negative experience.

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide