Print Thread
East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question #5983450 10/19/15 05:52 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
I hunt in Polk County, and have a quandary. I mistakenly thought that running my feeders all year would help the deer be accustomed to them and be more comfortable. Well it seems all that is comfortable around the feeders are the blasted hogs bang in a 8 day period, I had over 1,100 pictures on my cameras. Only TWO pictures of deer, and those were does...the rest are hogs. The bastages are laying down under the feeders, waiting for them to go off. So I'm turning the feeders off, and handcorning on Friday evenings when I arrive at camp. But I wondered about turning the feeders on as well when I arrive Friday, and leaving them on for the weekend before turning them off after the Sunday evening hunts.

Should I even bother turning them on when I arrive? Or just rely on handcorning different areas down the lanes, and leave the feeders off completely? Anyone tried the "weekend" feeder idea before? If I had a timer that allowed certain days to set it to, that would be ideal grin but as it is, I'm curious as to whether it's even worth getting off the Ranger to turn it on and off, vs just spreading a bag as I drive and sticking with that plan

Anyone who's done this, chime in up I'm sick of feeding hogs

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5983466 10/19/15 10:21 AM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Build a pen.

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: wtr] #5983471 10/19/15 10:48 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: wtr
Build a pen.

This. And then start laying some waste to some hogs.

[Linked Image]
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: kry226] #5983478 10/19/15 10:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: wtr
Build a pen.

This. And then start laying some waste to some hogs.

And build or buy some traps. Trapping will eliminate large numbers in a hurry.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5983511 10/19/15 11:41 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Killing a hog at a feeder will help keep them away for a short period of time, however the best control methods have already been mentioned.

Keep in mind too that feeders and food plots should be considered as supplemental food sources for deer, meaning they really don't need them, especially during the warm months when there is plenty of browse. While feeding year round might make us believe we're helping the deer, it's also making it easier for the hogs to find a periodic meal. At minimum, just start using your cameras to tell you when the hogs are hitting your feeders so you'll know when it's time to apply a dose of lead poison with a bullet or two. This has several other benefits as well. You'll get valuable shooting practice away from the bench, and watching deer throughout the year will lessen the chance of buck fever that so often hits those who see them far less often. I'll sometimes "scope" deer when hog hunting during the off season just to practice preparing for the shot (correct shot placement, proper breathing and eye control) so it's kept more fresh to my mind. Being careful of course, you can even go so far as to practice proper trigger pull by dry firing on them, again to keep the real life setting fresh on your mind.

If you intend to keep feeding year round, either hunt them year round, or take the actions others have suggested. You can also purchase feeders that are more difficult for hogs to eat from.

I hunted a feeder just this past weekend and only saw deer. I decided to leave after they had cleaned it up, even though a hog or two might have showed up later. My thoughts were that if the deer were getting there first, there was not need to disturb the feeder so close to the season opener. But I can assure you, had a hog showed up first, it would have been his last meal.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5983598 10/19/15 01:05 PM
D
DHS274 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
"I hunted a feeder just this past weekend and only saw deer. I decided to leave after they had cleaned it up, even though a hog or two might have showed up later. My thoughts were that if the deer were getting there first, there was not need to disturb the feeder so close to the season opener. But I can assure you, had a hog showed up first, it would have been his last meal."

Dan described my Saturday in far east Texas as well. 7 does, 3 adult and 4 yearlings ate at the feeder from 0900 to 1015, the entire time I needed to piss like a race horse but I did not want to spoke them. I shot a hog at this feeder a few weeks ago, since then hogs come less often and mostly at night, and well after the Deer have gotten most of the chow. Feeder goes off around 0730, Deer hit the feeder as they pass from the creek into the thick woods. I did notice deer movement all day Saturday, even just yards from my camp, I was trying to lay low, but even a short walk up the property road and I was jumping deer at 1 and 2 PM. Cooler temps. = increase movement. I also 365 Feed, hogs and raccoons don't bother with it, so deer always have an option.

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: DHS274] #5983662 10/19/15 01:57 PM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DHS274
"I hunted a feeder just this past weekend and only saw deer. I decided to leave after they had cleaned it up, even though a hog or two might have showed up later. My thoughts were that if the deer were getting there first, there was not need to disturb the feeder so close to the season opener. But I can assure you, had a hog showed up first, it would have been his last meal."

Dan described my Saturday in far east Texas as well. 7 does, 3 adult and 4 yearlings ate at the feeder from 0900 to 1015, the entire time I needed to piss like a race horse but I did not want to spoke them. I shot a hog at this feeder a few weeks ago, since then hogs come less often and mostly at night, and well after the Deer have gotten most of the chow. Feeder goes off around 0730, Deer hit the feeder as they pass from the creek into the thick woods. I did notice deer movement all day Saturday, even just yards from my camp, I was trying to lay low, but even a short walk up the property road and I was jumping deer at 1 and 2 PM. Cooler temps. = increase movement. I also 365 Feed, hogs and raccoons don't bother with it, so deer always have an option.

This happened to me last week. Checked my camera and had tons of hogs so decided to sit in my blind a while. Saw lots of deer but no pigs. Sat until dark cause they kept coming around.

Funniest thing of the day....the ropes that were supposed to raise the windows were broken so I spent some time rigging something to hold them open until I could come back with something more permanent. I'm out in front of the blind monkeying around, making noise messing around with the windows. Finally turn around and a doe and her twins are under the feeder watching me from about 75 yards away. I think our does are a little too comfortable. roflmao

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5983829 10/19/15 03:43 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
I know I need to build pens, just didn't get it done bang ha...would it be beneficial to build it next weekend? Or would that be too close to opening weekend? I bow hunt over travel routes down in the bottom, so I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the feeders till the past few weeks. If I get them built Saturday, and they're up for 2 weeks, would that be sufficient time for the deer to become accustomed to them?

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984001 10/19/15 05:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
I know I need to build pens, just didn't get it done bang ha...would it be beneficial to build it next weekend? Or would that be too close to opening weekend? I bow hunt over travel routes down in the bottom, so I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the feeders till the past few weeks. If I get them built Saturday, and they're up for 2 weeks, would that be sufficient time for the deer to become accustomed to them?

Outside the rut when a buck might chase a die past you while you're building the pen, it could make bucks more wary. But then, I'm one who believes the most mature bucks avoid feeders during daylight. After all, they don't grow old being stupid.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984009 10/19/15 05:51 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Build it now. Deer are given way too much credit in the wary department I think. Don't build and hogs will keep the deer off for sure.

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: 8pointdrop] #5984022 10/19/15 05:59 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Build it now. Deer are given way too much credit in the wary department I think. Don't build and hogs will keep the deer off for sure.

That is true...which was why I turned the feeders off. I figured hand corning would be better than the blasted hogs setting up camp under the feeders

As far as building a feed pen. My lease is a timber lease, but I'm in the SMZ bottoms. They frown on driving t-posts in the ground as a whole, but since the stands aren't in the pine plantations, I'm unsure as to whether they would have a problem with it would it be best to just go around the smaller trees and use them to attach to? Not pines, the oaks and larger youpons. I've heard that you want the pens to be round, to keep the corners away from the hogs ability to push against them. One area will be impossible to make a very large pen, due to the lane I cut being a little narrow for a decent pen. Just curious as to how it would hold up against the onslaught of the bastages if it isn't round. I would think that attaching to the 4-5" trees would be plenty strong. Just curious as to whether it should in fact be round or not

As you can tell, I'm not used to this bs I've never really hunted over feeders, but with the wife and kids desiring to hunt this year, I'm trying to get it figured out

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984038 10/19/15 06:10 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Just build it as big and as strong as you can, attaching to trees is fine. Has to be big or the deer won't feel comfortable entering. Start putting a dent in the hogs asap. Lots of hunting opportunity there. My daughter has killed several deer over the years and gets really really excited about killing big boars with cutters.

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984174 10/19/15 07:55 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
We took out a loner boar this weekend. I had him on camera every night, and he never had another hog with him. 54" long x 32" tall, with some ugly cutters

Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984201 10/19/15 08:23 PM
T
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
We use 6 hog panels and 11 or 12 t-posts. I had a feeder sight get washed away in the spring floods. I put my new sight in and did not put the pen up for several months. I hand threw corn in every cactus patch and little bush. I would have 3000 pics with only a few deer (like you said). After I used the pigs to clear my new feeder sight, I put my pen in two weeks ago. When I went back this weekend, over 1100 pics. Very few hogs. Tons of deer including the biggest buck we have on the place. We have found this to be true of all our feeder sights. Put the pens up, deer (including big bucks) come in. Hogs will keep them from the feeders. They just don't like all the noise and movement. If you put the pen in this weekend, I promise you will have more deer traffic the next time you check your cams.

Secede!!
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984216 10/19/15 08:28 PM
T
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I pen around trees. Of course our trees are mesquite. None straight enough to attach a panel to anyway. I've never built one other than round, so can't comment on the other. Our pigs will eat a little around the edges and go somewhere else. They don't really try to tear them down.

Secede!!
Re: East Tx hunters...feeder/hog question [Re: TxDispatcher] #5984224 10/19/15 08:29 PM
T
TruTexican Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
OK, I'll add we kill a ton of hogs too. Tons of 'em!

Secede!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide