Print Thread
Collar Conditioning? #5981020 10/17/15 12:12 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Just watched Disc 1 of TRT2. At the end he goes over collar conditioning. One thing I really didn't understand is the aplication of pressure/shock when the dog obeys the command.

I understand the concept of applying pressure then removing it once you get the response you want. However, he was administering a shock even if the dog gave the response he wanted.

Example: dog is sitting facing the trainer. Trainer gives "here" comand with light tug on leash. Dog comes and shock is applied.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5981057 10/17/15 12:37 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
That is positive reinforcement.

Positive- to enhance
Negative- to take away
Enforcement/Punishment- to make the dog do something they're not already doing
Reinforcement- when the dog is already doing something

So, if the dog is counter surfing and you hit him with the collar it is negative enforcement because you are trying to take away an undesirable behavior. Lardy is trying to enhance a behavior by using positive reinforcement. Your example would be positive enforcement because you are increasing a behavior but the dog was not already doing it.

Positive reinforcement is superior in most cases because it shows that the dog already knows the behavior and that they understand that they are responsible for avoiding or beating the pressure by quick and stable responses. This is not saying that you will not use the other forms of correction just that you get the most out of collar conditioning this way. Remember, we are not trying to teach with the collar, just enhance the response.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5981066 10/17/15 12:45 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Almost there maximum, positive is to add, either a reinforcement or punishment

Last edited by MS1454; 10/17/15 12:52 AM.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5981084 10/17/15 12:54 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ok, I think I understand.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5984195 10/19/15 08:15 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I watched it on the smart work series as well. Looked bad. But if the person who assists you knows what they are doing you need lessons so you can apply the right pressure at the right times.

Not a fan of the e collar. Personally I would rather have a dog want to obey and retrieve. Reality is it isn't always that way.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: passthru] #5984290 10/19/15 09:14 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: passthru
I watched it on the smart work series as well. Looked bad. But if the person who assists you knows what they are doing you need lessons so you can apply the right pressure at the right times.

Not a fan of the e collar. Personally I would rather have a dog want to obey and retrieve. Reality is it isn't always that way.

I think it just depends on what your expectations are. I have a lab that I trained myself with no ecollar, no help and didn't follow a program. She probably made 300 retrieves last season...doves and ducks. She's my buddy and I love her almost like a kid. She's a model house dog and my family adores her.

Does she hold and heel and wait for me to take the bird? Nope but she does bring it to my hand
Is she steady 100% of the time? Nope
Does she cast? Nope not really...she pops and looks at me some times and I can cast her every now and then. She just picked it up over the years.

But can I sit on my dove bucket and not get up. Yup

I want my next dog to be as successfull as she can be and for her to do well in hunt tests I think an e-collar is essential.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: passthru] #5984393 10/19/15 10:46 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

You're implying that our dogs don't want to obey or retrieve.
Ecollar is just a tool that gets them to do what they already want to do, the way we want them to do it.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5984458 10/19/15 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The confusion comes when they are retrieving on their own, but not coming all the way back. That's the wrong place to nick them. Do the here separately.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5984762 10/20/15 01:54 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
The collar only enhances what the dog is doing at the time. If you nic the dog on "here", it will come in faster. That's a little clearer explanation then "Positive reinforcement"...

You can use the collar to eliminate a behavior but the lesson will be very short lived and will have to be reviewed often. ie trash breaking, chasing cars etc.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: changedmyname] #5986771 10/21/15 04:18 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

You're implying that our dogs don't want to obey or retrieve.
Ecollar is just a tool that gets them to do what they already want to do, the way we want them to do it.

I didn't imply squat. But why are you so willing to cover up the truth? Reality is force fetch is not a dog doing what it wants to do. It is doing what it's forced to do under threat of PAIN. Force fetch is necessary for HT success and to ensure downed game gets into the game bag. E collars cause pain and the dog complies under the threat of that pain. Yes the nick gets them there faster but that's because the conditioning tells them if they don't it gets worse.

The facts are immunizations are painful but necessary for our children. E collar is painful but needed to reach certain goals or to control some dogs that are less compliant. I have no idea why folks feel the need to sugar coat it. I'm not saying they are bad. I just found it painful to watch. However that will not deter me from doing that with my dog but with the help of a professional who can also teach me how and when to use that tool.

What has me leery is the number of lab owners I've known that have dogs who decided not to comply when they don't have the e collar or at least a dummy collar on. That alone tells you they do it out of understanding the pain comes when they don't comply.

NRA Life Member
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5987052 10/21/15 01:30 PM
M
Tracker
Tracker
M
Passthru you are missing the point. It is NOT about forcing the dog to do anything. It is about pressure conditioning the dog.

Virtually every method, book, or video on Retrievers out there will say to have the dog in love with retrieving BEFORE doing anything else. They ALL go on to say that if your dog has no desire to get rid of it and start with a new one. Most new trainers choose to ignore this and form their own opinions, just like you have about the e collar.

The fact is that dogs percieve different things as pressure. That is why we pressure condition with ACTUAL pressure so that later on when we keep stopping the dog and casting him 2 feet off the point and past it, he doesn't have a meltdown.

Bottom line is that most dogs that have had sugar and spice basics can't get through transition because they can't handle the mental anxiety. This is why we pressure condition.

Tony Marshall
(903) 720-6842
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5987957 10/21/15 11:16 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't have a problem with collars or conxitioning. I have trouble with y'all not being honest about it being uncomfortable or painful for the dog. I take it you've never put on your neck and took a solid "nick".

NRA Life Member
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: passthru] #5987999 10/21/15 11:36 PM
M
Tracker
Tracker
M
I don't have a problem with collars or conxitioning. I have trouble with y'all not being honest about it being uncomfortable or painful for the dog. I take it you've never put on your neck and took a solid "nick".

Actually I have. Furthermore, no one ever said that it did not cause discomfort. It is an aversive just like the pinch collar, chain, or heeling stick. It's the same as the paddle your principal used before society started giving out second place trophies.

If you ever heard the words "wait until your dad gets home" you can understand pressure avoidance. Mom may have nagged but dad was willing to use enough pressure for you to remember the lesson.

The beauty part about the e collar is it is adjustable. I have a not very well socialized dog in the kennel right now that will flip on his back and scream like a banshee whenever the leash tightens but he does great on a 1 on the collar. I have also had dogs that would rip your arm out of the socket and no pinch collar was enough pressure for them but one little nick was enough to stop them in their tracks.

It's not about the tool its about knowing how to read the dog.

Tony Marshall
(903) 720-6842
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5988362 10/22/15 03:05 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Your last sentence said it all. Thus my earlier statement regarding the dogs owner getting trained as well as the dog because you know as well as I do far too many dog owners use one without really understanding how and when to use it. And I don't want to make screw up on what could other wise be a valuable tool or a good dog.

Which by the way it's looking like she could be.

NRA Life Member
Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5988420 10/22/15 03:54 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Well I spank my kids so I figure a little electric shock to the neck of my dog isn't to bad. Haha

Last edited by BradyBuck; 10/22/15 03:54 AM.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5988806 10/22/15 02:47 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have never really been on board with them, and this is just my two cents. Had a lab that was the softest dog in the world, she was just so smart and eager to please I didn't need an e-collar. I now have a GSP that will be a year next month. Strong willed and hard headed don't come close to describing him. He wants to please and knows what is expected of him, just sometimes needs a little reminder. The E-collar has been such a useful tool. I totally agree with knowing how to use it is crucial, but I was kinda with you Passthru and now I am on the E-collar train. He want's to obey and knows how, he just gets going at 100 miles an hour and getting his attention is all it takes.

Re: Collar Conditioning? [Re: BradyBuck] #5989325 10/22/15 07:58 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Mine will get there. I'm just not going to do it on my own and I'm going to get trained as well. But I'm going to wait until after the first of the year to get the professionals started on her. For now she is about ready to hunt and we will see how she does this season.

NRA Life Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide